Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Battle Brothers Pre-Release Thread

sser

Arcane
Developer
My idea was to give the shepherd bonus damage against werewolves. :smug:

Also there's been a big call for women. I'm not yet sure if people want realistic depictions or superheroine types.

Eyestabber

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015

Also there's been a big call for women. I'm not yet sure if people want realistic depictions or superheroine types.

Holy fucking SHIT, SJW retardness is hitting even a micro-scale project by 4 guys? I REALLY hope they don't cave, the game has a pretty good setting as it is, with armors and weapons being as close as possible from their historical counterparts. Adding female soldiers would just be a retarded nod to retarded feminazis who WONT be satisfied and will proceed to demand more retarded stuff. Soon enough, battle brothers 3 will be about orcish trannys.

OH, and ofc, let's all "forget" the fact that medieval armies had NO FUCKING WOMEN, because "THE PATRIARCHY" was super evil and thought they needed to be left behind where it was safe while the men fought and died. Cuz, you know, oppression and shit.

/Rant

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Nice suggestions about the werewolves.

Women should be in the game as characters in general (show up as characters in quests, see them walking around town or as part of a caravan), and I'm sure there will be women followers when they add that system into the game.

As for women mercs, though, they shouldn't be anywhere near as common as male mercs. I hope they are implemented, but quite rare. They should also be depicted realistically; no absurd bikini armour.

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
OH, and ofc, let's all "forget" the fact that medieval armies had NO FUCKING WOMEN, because "THE PATRIARCHY" was super evil and thought they needed to be left behind where it was safe while the men fought and died. Cuz, you know, oppression and shit.

There were some women who fought, and definitely women who went along with the army as support staff. Joan of Arc is the obvious, late medieval example; she saw combat and also gave military advice.

I'm no expert on the subject, but wikipedia offers this list of other examples:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Women_in_post-classical_warfare

I hope that women are ultimately implemented, and that they have a realistic presence that suits the setting.

Last edited:

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Actually, it was usually the lady who would be in charge of the castle defence if the lord was not present. Having a few ladies in could be nice. Having 50% would be stupid.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

Holy fucking SHIT, SJW retardness is hitting even a micro-scale project by 4 guys? I REALLY hope they don't cave, the game has a pretty good setting as it is, with armors and weapons being as close as possible from their historical counterparts. Adding female soldiers would just be a retarded nod to retarded feminazis who WONT be satisfied and will proceed to demand more retarded stuff. Soon enough, battle brothers 3 will be about orcish trannys.

/Rant

There is a big thread about it on the official steam forums already. Not only about woman though, asian, black & hispanic characters are requested. I really hope they keep the german/european look & feel, and maybe add different races for an expansion that suits the area they are in.

sser

Arcane
Developer
Other ethnicities are not currently planned, although they could possibly come in the form of a map-broadening expansion. I've also floated the idea of an 'exiled' foreigner who shows up, but even if that were to become a thing it wouldn't be anytime soon. In one of the flavor texts a merchant and antiques collector mentions a 'camel', but the main character has no idea what that is. It suggests a world outside the playing area, but paying respect to the time period, people don't exactly travel enough to know what the hell is 'out there' so to speak. Overhype wants to preserve this as a distinctly Germanic area and I think that's the way to go, too.

I don't mind having women in the game, but it would be the 'fantasy' part of low fantasy. It's not a stretch to assume that a world with orcs might also breed a different 'stock' of women. It does bug me a bit when people try to argue that this was actually a "thing" back then, like there's some kind of historical or even biological precedent for women fighters that isn't up to its eyeballs in mythology and legend-making. The most interesting question to me is how does a woman interact with a band of potential pedophiles, murderers, rapists, arsonists, child killers, etc. etc.

oscar

Arcane
Let's not derail this thread into a venting session, but yeah no women Brothers please.

As for 'bad' backgrounds (straight up penalties) perhaps they could be compensated for by a higher likelihood of positive traits (when relevant, the abused servant probably isn't going to be Fit or Strong). Shepherds are considered pretty trustworthy right? Saddam Hussein came from a family of them after all.

sser

Arcane
Developer
That's kind of already in. The traits characters pick up are relevant to their backgrounds. Hardworking types like farmhands/fishermen aren't going to be fat, jugglers aren't going to be clumsy, and your killers and graverobbing types aren't going to be particularly honorable - so on and so forth. Characters with bad backgrounds are almost always very cheap. The trade off is that sometimes you can actually find a pretty talented dude in there, as their actual skills are somewhat randomized. Most likely you're going to get cannon fodder, but that's why he's 50g. The option of uber-cheap replacements, IMO, has to be there just by the nature of the game design. Players needs characters they can put on their roster in a pinch. It also gives you something to shoot for. I play on Hard, so my starting gold is very tight. When I pick up a character that's expensive, it actually feels worth it, because I have a bunch of worthless shitbags for comparison. It's also worth paying attention to which skills, exactly, are getting negative hits. While the miner has -20 fatigue, it should be noted that fatigue is the easiest of the skills to level up, as it frequently lands in the 4-5 range.

Beowulf

Arcane
The most interesting question to me is how does a woman interact with a band of potential pedophiles, murderers, rapists, arsonists, child killers, etc. etc.

Washerwomen. To wash away all that blood. And "washerwomen".

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
That's kind of already in. The traits characters pick up are relevant to their backgrounds. Hardworking types like farmhands/fishermen aren't going to be fat, jugglers aren't going to be clumsy, and your killers and graverobbing types aren't going to be particularly honorable - so on and so forth. Characters with bad backgrounds are almost always very cheap. The trade off is that sometimes you can actually find a pretty talented dude in there, as their actual skills are somewhat randomized. Most likely you're going to get cannon fodder, but that's why he's 50g. The option of uber-cheap replacements, IMO, has to be there just by the nature of the game design. Players needs characters they can put on their roster in a pinch. It also gives you something to shoot for. I play on Hard, so my starting gold is very tight. When I pick up a character that's expensive, it actually feels worth it, because I have a bunch of worthless shitbags for comparison. It's also worth paying attention to which skills, exactly, are getting negative hits. While the miner has -20 fatigue, it should be noted that fatigue is the easiest of the skills to level up, as it frequently lands in the 4-5 range.
Black Company had some wymmin no problem.

34scell

Augur
A small proportion of female militia would make sense. Also there could be foreign bandits and mercenaries arriving as refugees from a ultimate evil and maybe even a migratory horde as the ultimate evil.

Zdzisiu

Arcane
A small proportion of female militia would make sense. Also there could be foreign bandits and mercenaries arriving as refugees from a ultimate evil and maybe even a migratory horde as the ultimate evil.
Yes! A migrant horde of mudslimes should be the ultimate evil, that would fit Germany perfectly!

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Women and other racial types are planned. Although women will be quite rare and other racial types are most likely dependent on them appearing as additional realms through DLC. Concerning women the devs said it quite well. You decide whom you'll hire.

And yeah, woman in battle have been known. Even when rare. Here we had a Dutch mercantile gall who when under siege raised a female militia and helped repel the siegers.

kenau.jpg

Then again. I can see her do just that. Anyway, can we keep the usual GD bull to GD?

Lucky

Arcane
Women are planned and other races might get added with the expansions. I don't care either way as long as they keep the German flavour and don't turn the women into heroines. I'm honestly more confused by people wanting to add Elves and Orcs as recruitable mercenaries.

As for the backgrounds, I wouldn't mind some minor randomisation with the stats that they provide. That would mean that you'd be less inclined to blindly pick a background based on guaranteed stats.

PhantasmaNL

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria

/Rant

There is a big thread about it on the official steam forums already. Not only about woman though, asian, black & hispanic characters are requested. I really hope they keep the german/european look & feel, and maybe add different races for an expansion that suits the area they are in.

This is a fucking joke right?

i really hope the developers give these fucking braindead retards who should be shot and killed a big fuck you as a response.

Then again it could be trolls.:troll:

Eyestabber

Arcane
Patron
Anyway, can we keep the usual GD bull to GD?

My bad, I went a little off-topic.

Anyhow, I'm glad to see that Battle Brothers is well on its way into being actually released and (maybe) becoming a niche success.

I wouldn't mind some minor randomisation with the stats that they provide. That would mean that you'd be less inclined to blindly pick a background based on guaranteed stats.

Bah, the game is already pretty random as it is. I like the current "Half random, half guaranteed" system. It has a certain charm to it.

EDIT: this is where, IMO, FTL went wrong. They refused to add any sort of "stability" to the game and ended up with a game that is 90% about getting lucky early on and only 10% about player skill. It wouldn't hurt FTL to have some guaranteed gear for sale on the very first shop, for example. Or just make it so that every shop has every single item. Crude, but effective.

Eyestabber

Arcane
Patron
Hey, look at this, guys:

• Changed worldmap speed of all parties, including the player's, to be slightly higher on default but get reduced by 1.5% per individual unit. This way, the player has an easier time outrunning large armies and can get away easier with few men than the full contingent of twelve. With more different worldspeeds, AI parties also shouldn't chase each other for as long anymore with no chance of either catching up or losing another.
They solved the problem I pointed earlier (about not being able to escape an undesired encounter) in a pretty clever fashion. :salute:

Lucky

Arcane
For those of you who want to see some gameplay, I gave this game a go over the weekend and recorded my findings.

The short version: I'm impressed.

Read it. Good to see more people enjoying it. Especially since most devs that I know never seem to have time to play games anymore. :) Some thoughts:

- I saw you wondering about a DRM-free release. The devs mentioned on planning to approach at least GoG once they release the full game,. They haven't done so yet as to make it easier to patch the game.

- Your mercs missing will happen less as you get more familiar with the combat. I now rarely miss attacks that I actually plan on hitting, because I carefully pick which weapon to use with which brothers and use the less useful attacks to boost the overwhelm bonus. Not to say that this couldn't get harder again as they tweak the combat.

- Zone of control becomes more interesting once you start factoring it into how you place your battle line and use it to hold down parts of the enemies front. Add chokepoints and you can hold off numerically superior opponents with just a few guys. I rather like how it causes the player to almost automatically form a shieldwall, without repeatedly telling you how to do it and giving you achievements for pulling it off.

Bah, the game is already pretty random as it is. I like the current "Half random, half guaranteed" system. It has a certain charm to it.

EDIT: this is where, IMO, FTL went wrong. They refused to add any sort of "stability" to the game and ended up with a game that is 90% about getting lucky early on and only 10% about player skill. It wouldn't hurt FTL to have some guaranteed gear for sale on the very first shop, for example. Or just make it so that every shop has every single item. Crude, but effective.

It would be slight differences only, as the starting backgrounds and traits are deceptive in that they don't really matter all that much, unless you get a really good or bad combo. The intent is less balance and more to keep the player from getting lazy when they're picking their recruits.
They've actually done rather well so far in avoiding having the game completely screw you over near the start. Even werewolves can be avoided by using the militia as human shields and then mopping up the remains.

Ellef

Deplorable
How are you levelling up and equipping your forces so far?

At the moment i've been going 3-4 archers 1-2 bulhook user (my favourite 2hander by far) and the rest shield and spear/situational weapon. I think i'm going too defensive but when even one death feels like a pyrrhic victory, I like to form a very safe spearwall and watch people impale themselves.

Almost everyone choosing fatigue and a weapon skill + 1 other attribute for level ups.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom