Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Battle Brothers Pre-Release Thread

vonAchdorf

Arcane
I don't think that they are trying to please everyone, or else they'd have added an option for brothers with legs. :D

When I bought the game on release, it was clear that it wasn't just a let's polish the game and get some feedback to tweak our systems EA, but rather something for the long-haul. I liked why we got so far, and I think, they improved and will be improving the game at the right places.

TheScarecrow

Educated
Man, you are making hard to wait for the finished game...

Bah, fuck it. I'm buying it right now. The game looks too good.

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
Couldnt agree more, that is why I think the system used by Divinity Original Sin was the best example; they had that to test systems and tweak gameplay and balance but always following their vision of the game instead of trying to please everyone and ending up satifying no one like Darkest Dungeon

They had a game almost finished when they ask for money on Kickstarter and promised many things. They received more than four times what they asked, but still didn’t keep all their promises, such as the day/night cycle. The game was released with bugs and empty areas. This is not a good example by any means.

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
Setting a definite feature list in the beginning based only on wishful thinking and a budget we didn't have yet isn't a responsible way to go about this, and not having the ambition to make this a better game if resources develop in way that allow us to do so, or fear of taking longer because of this, isn't the right way to go about creating a game that isn't just solid but good.

A developer who has respect for his costumers and his work? Oh my!

I'm in, bra.

Ninjerk

Arcane
Haven't touched this for months until yesterday. I found a bug (that I"m not sure of the extent of) involving moving equipment between Brothers. If you drag a shield from one Brother's inventory to another Brother's portrait the shield will disappear. You can get the shield back by doing the same thing with a different shield (but you'll always have one shield out of your inventory).

rapsdjff

Overhype Studios
Developer
Scroll down the inventory or use the sort button. The item doesn't really disappear, but gets placed in the inventory below the portrait of the brother you dragged it to, as if he weren't there.

Andhaira

Arcane
Scroll down the inventory or use the sort button. The item doesn't really disappear, but gets placed in the inventory below the portrait of the brother you dragged it to, as if he weren't there.

This is definitely on my to play list but will wait until it is finished before purchasing. I don't want to spoil the experience by playing an incomplete game (already did that with DD) and also because I want to play Mordheim first.

However I just want to know: Does the player get any spellcasting units, or is it all martial units (melee fighters, bowmen, etc). I don't mind either way, but just wanted to know.

To everyone else, how does this game compare with Eisenwald? I still have to play that, just couldn't muster the time yet.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
To everyone else, how does this game compare with Eisenwald? I still have to play that, just couldn't muster the time yet.
Not played much of this game, barely touched an early demo, but it's very different from Eisenwald.
For one thing, Eisenwald is a set of story driven maps, this one is more of a sandbox.
Battle works differently. Eisenwald has a very tight battle space, combat is very deterministic, battle bros has lots of positioning and shit involved.
And besides, Codex has an Eisenwald review, that might be of help if you haven't checked it out man- http://www.rpgcodex.net/article.php?id=9976

rapsdjff

Overhype Studios
Developer
Update time.

blog-header-little-things.jpg

Dev Blog #68: Progress Update – The Little Things
Amidst all the sweeping changes to the worldmap, like different human factions and an entirely reworked contract system, there’s also a lot of smaller improvements and additions that will come with the update later in February. These are little things that address some lingering issues or are simply quality-of-life improvements, and it’s some of them that we’ll take a closer look at this week.

Camping
That’s right – you can now make camp. Put down your tents, build a nice bonfire and enjoy some of the smoked ham you got at that little hamlet two days ago. When encamped, time goes by faster, so if you’re waiting for it to become daytime, or for someone to arrive, making camp is the way to go. Your men will also recover faster from their injuries and have more time to maintain and repair their equipment.

To make it a more interesting strategic decision when and where to make camp, there’s also some drawbacks to it. Enemies will be able to see your bonfire from afar, especially at night. You’re immobile while camped and can not attack yourself – but you can easily be caught in a surprise attack by the enemy. Best not to make camp in the middle of orc territory, then, but if you must, do so on high ground, like hills, to have a better view of the surrounding lands and to spot approaching enemies before it is too late.

We’re adding the camping mechanic as a way to reduce on the downtime you’d otherwise spend waiting for your men to heal up and their equipment to be repaired – but in a way that makes sense in the context of the game world and adds some decision making. There’s also always the option of adding more depth to camping, of course, and we may decide to do so at a later time.

Paying for Repairs
Handling attrition is part of the gameplay we’re aiming for, and while making camp is a good way to maintain and repair your gear, there’s another way now that’s even faster. Smithies across the world can quickly repair both weapons and armor for you – but generally at steep prices.

Scouting the Enemy
Players need a good way to judge the strength of enemies on the worldmap in order to make an informed decision on whether to fight or retreat. Yet, attaching any kind of strength rating to enemies isn’t as easy as it may sound with a game as complex as Battle Brothers, as there’s a lot of unknowns we can’t really account for. What experience and skill does the player have? Is their group equipped or skilled in a way that handles certain types of enemies, like orcs or goblins, better or worse? No matter how we shuffle numbers with the current system, there’s no way we’ll arrive at a satisfying level of prediction, so we’re going another way.

Ultimately players always fall back to judging for themselves what enemies they can take on, so we’re supporting this with a new scouting mechanic with more in-depth information to replace the relative strength label. As enemies or allies get into visual range, you can now see their troop composition and approximate numbers when hovering the cursor above them, just like it is in the engage screen before combat. In addition, their total number is shown in their name tag to see at any time and without hovering over them. It takes some experience judging what your company can take on, and probably some failed attempts along the way, but who better to make the call than their commander, anyway.

Do keep in mind that this change comes in the context of a new worldmap that has more clearly defined regions as well. With what are safer hinterlands or war-torn regions bordering on orc and goblin territory, you now have a greater level of control over what enemies you’re likely to face, depending on where you have your mercenary company seek their fortune.

Inventory Filters & Sorting
There’s quite a bunch of different weapons, armor and other gear in the game to use already, and we’ll keep on adding more. Add to this the all-new treasure items you can plunder, and the new function to filter your inventory by item type comes in handy as not to waste any time managing it. You can choose between showing everything, only weapons, only armor and helmets, and only supplies and treasure.

Also, no need to change screens anymore to sort your inventory while browsing the wares of merchants. Both sorting the inventory and filtering it are available at the shop interface as well. Speaking of the shop interface, performance has been improved and it should feel more responsive now.

rapsdjff

Overhype Studios
Developer
However I just want to know: Does the player get any spellcasting units, or is it all martial units (melee fighters, bowmen, etc). I don't mind either way, but just wanted to know.
The player won't have access to spellcasting units. We want to keep things down to low power fantasy and promote a certain asymmetry between the player and the opponents in the game; Battle Brothers will always be common humans in a pseudo-medieval setting that sometimes have to go up against non-human and supernatural foes.

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Theres magic now? :(

Are you against undead, then? Necromancy is magic.

In battle, the current version has the raise dead ability for the necromancers, and a movement-inhibiting vine spell for the goblins. There's some buffs, like the war scream from the orc warlord, too.

rapsdjff

Overhype Studios
Developer
There always was with the occasional Necromancer, and later on Goblin Shaman. Enemy spellcasters are rare, though, and will remain that way. If we do add another one, it will involve more interesting mechanics than mundane fireballs.

titus

Arcane
Patron
There always was with the occasional Necromancer, and later on Goblin Shaman. Enemy spellcasters are rare, though, and will remain that way. If we do add another one, it will involve more interesting mechanics than mundane fireballs.
Don't fuck this up, men. I don't want to regret buying it.

IMO in a "low magic setting" the "magician" should be the end boss or something.

Andhaira

Arcane
The player won't have access to spellcasting units. We want to keep things down to low power fantasy and promote a certain asymmetry between the player and the opponents in the game; Battle Brothers will always be common humans in a pseudo-medieval setting that sometimes have to go up against non-human and supernatural foes.

Then why not limit PC spellcaster units to one or two per company? Seriously a spellcaster with even minor spells opens up a lot of tactical options. Those who don't want to use them don't have to, they can just use regular units instead.

rapsdjff

Overhype Studios
Developer
Because that's not the setting we're going for. Even with the skills that are there now we tried to avoid any that feel unrealistic or superpowery (e.g. shooting multiple arrows at once) to keep things more grounded.

Dr Skeleton

Arcane
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Camping
That’s right – you can now make camp. Put down your tents, build a nice bonfire and enjoy some of the smoked ham you got at that little hamlet two days ago. When encamped, time goes by faster, so if you’re waiting for it to become daytime, or for someone to arrive, making camp is the way to go. Your men will also recover faster from their injuries and have more time to maintain and repair their equipment.

To make it a more interesting strategic decision when and where to make camp, there’s also some drawbacks to it. Enemies will be able to see your bonfire from afar, especially at night. You’re immobile while camped and can not attack yourself – but you can easily be caught in a surprise attack by the enemy. Best not to make camp in the middle of orc territory, then, but if you must, do so on high ground, like hills, to have a better view of the surrounding lands and to spot approaching enemies before it is too late.

We’re adding the camping mechanic as a way to reduce on the downtime you’d otherwise spend waiting for your men to heal up and their equipment to be repaired – but in a way that makes sense in the context of the game world and adds some decision making. There’s also always the option of adding more depth to camping, of course, and we may decide to do so at a later time.
First of all - yes! I missed a camping mechanic. Second - will you be moving some events to camps from appearing randomly on the road? Many of them would make more sense during camp.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2

Definitely agree on this, game changing magic doesn't need to be visible at all. It can add an interesting layer on top of it all, if you have to try to guess what the enemy hedge wizard is doing and if it is just hocus pocus or not.

oscar

Arcane
For the record I am opposed to magic being any more prevalent than it already is (it's disappointing that lots of self-styled low fantasy can't resist going all fireballs and magic swords in the end) but the combination of mercenaries, gritty realism and low level trickster magic is damn reminiscent of the Black Company series.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
For the record I am opposed to magic being any more prevalent than it already is (it's disappointing that lots of self-styled low fantasy can't resist going all fireballs and magic swords in the end) but the combination of mercenaries, gritty realism and low level trickster magic is damn reminiscent of the Black Company series.

eh maybe on the daily level. Black Company has insanely powerful magicians throughout the books.

To developer, how moddable the game is?

vonAchdorf

Arcane

I paid $40 for a magic helmet of night vision.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom