Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Battle Brothers Pre-Release Thread

Panzermeido

Novice
It feels like procedural generation doesn't really aid the game. Creating and writing a set, coherent world would be great, considering the generally wonderful writing behind Battle Brothers. Randomness makes it all... less coherent? I'm not sure, but I feel something is lost in the process.
Also, a quick-quick fanart. Don't tell anyone.
PWHF1rm.png

Kem0sabe

Arcane
It feels like procedural generation doesn't really aid the game. Creating and writing a set, coherent world would be great, considering the generally wonderful writing behind Battle Brothers. Randomness makes it all... less coherent? I'm not sure, but I feel something is lost in the process.
Also, a quick-quick fanart. Don't tell anyone.
PWHF1rm.png
I prefer a hand crafted world and content as well, especially in rpgs like battle brothers, the potential for a great story involving a low fantasy band of mercenaries are endless.

Panzermeido

Novice
I prefer a hand crafted world and content as well, especially in rpgs like battle brothers, the potential for a great story involving a low fantasy band of mercenaries are endless.
Yup. What's more, having (at least a set of) pre-written, set characters with story lines associated with them could really hammer the perma-death feature home - you lose them, you've essentially lost part of the story, something players are attached to. Of course, it's not like permadeath is anything to scowl at right now - after all, you're potentially losing an extremely useful member of the company band - but narrative attachment is always stronger than mechanical attachment, in my book.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
On the other hand though the moment I realise that a character has an actual impact on the game, I'm pretty sure I won't let him/her perma-die. And I believe that's true for most people. Permadeath doesn't really work in such cases.
Take for example Fallout 2, how many times did the average player reload to keep Sulik alive? I know I did. A lot.

agris

Arcane
Patron
On the other hand though the moment I realise that a character has an actual impact on the game, I'm pretty sure I won't let him/her perma-die. And I believe that's true for most people. Permadeath doesn't really work in such cases.
Take for example Fallout 2, how many times did the average player reload to keep Sulik alive? I know I did. A lot.
You, and players in general, wouldn't feel that way if NPC death opened up certain content. Everyone has parents, friends and enemies. People that would care if they died.

Ninjerk

Arcane
I'd like that too, but they're the ones who know the budget. If that has to be spared from this game to maintain the integrity of the combat, then I'm all for sparing it.

oscar

Arcane
I think a decent placeholder could be a retiring scene based upon how much gold you have (perhaps with some randomly generated vignettes for each merc based on their background, traits and how much gold you have upon disbanding).

e.g 10,000 you retire to a modest country villa and spend your days frugally but peacefully while the rest of the mercs more or less go back to their old lives

50,000 you marry into an impoverished family of minor nobility and gain an estate and bloodline. Some of the mercs do quite well, others blow it or meet untimely fates

200,000 you recruit an army and seize a foreign city state by force, condottieri style and establish a famous lineage.

Gay-Lussac

Arcane
Is this worth picking up right now, or is it better to wait for the full release? How finished is the game?
It is far from being finished but it is worth playing imo. Yes - the combat is so much fun in this game. :D

This seems like it's exactly what I want to play and also already looks pretty polished. The thing is, I don't want to spoil myself on an unfinished product.

But then again I'm getting from these posts that most of the content is proceduraly generated? I might pick it up now if I can just play it again upon release and have the game still feel fresh.

EDIT: Well, I bit the bullet, but my toaster's integrated video card doesn't support OpenGL 3.0 so the game won't launch. RIP

Last edited:

agris

Arcane
Patron
I'd like that too, but they're the ones who know the budget. If that has to be spared from this game to maintain the integrity of the combat, then I'm all for sparing it.
Yea I'm speaking hypothetically. I'd like to see such reactions in some rpgs, but it doesn't really fit in batbros. Unless the npc was aquired as part of a quest/special encounter/scripted sequence.

Ninjerk

Arcane
Yea I'm speaking hypothetically. I'd like to see such reactions in some rpgs, but it doesn't really fit in batbros. Unless the npc was aquired as part of a quest/special encounter/scripted sequence.
I agree, and I think they should probably be repeatable given the deadliness in the game.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Having (at least a set of) pre-written, set characters with story lines associated with them [would be good].
Spare me. If I want to read some dumb scripted storyline meant to "emotionally invest" me in prewritten companions I can play Mass Effect. Let there be some games out there that leave something to the imagination.

Panzermeido

Novice
Spare me. If I want to read some dumb scripted storyline meant to "emotionally invest" me in prewritten companions I can play Mass Effect. Let there be some games out there that leave something to the imagination.
It's not like there's a barfight going on between the game's scriptwriter and your imagination, though. The former investing more time into his (generally great) work doesn't force the latter to be any less active, nor does it imply constriction into super-restrictive scripts. The game still is, a in any way should be, about a wandering band of mercenaries, with all the freedom it implies.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath

It doesn't have to Bioware scale of script. M&B companions have backgrond that somewhat upgrade them from just being another redshirt, that you could sometime talk about when you want to, while still having the background itself non intrusive to actual gameplay and imagination. The same could be said for FFT. The unique characters have certain background associated with them (but mostly are unimportant in the game after they join you) that elevate them from "just another mook" paradigm people might have.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
The stories that matter in a game iike this are the ones you make yourself. Like the time Hellraiser stood on a hill with a woodsmans axe and killed/re-killed wiedergangers every turn for 14 turns. Until he was overcome by exhaustion and pulled down to his demise.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
What could be done and would be cool, is to hear stories in the tavern about some of your recent battles.
"Did you hear about the massacre in the village X? They say 10 dudes slaughtered everyone there!"
Stuff like that were always something I wanted in turn based strategy games. Some actual in-game "history making"

tiagocc0

Arcane
What I want is to find other mercenary groups wandering just like us.
I found a text in-game pointing out that there are groups like that, but I don't think they have been added yet.
If would be great if there was a screen where you could check other groups progress like in Star Ranger 2.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
I found a text in-game pointing out that there are groups like that, but I don't think they have been added yet.
If would be great if there was a screen where you could check other groups progress like in Star Ranger 2.

I had a mission to kill some bandits. when I arrived at their camp, I was told that we had spotted a guy with a huge bounty on his head, which we could claim if we killed him.
We killed him, then shortly after the battle another mercenary band showed up and told my battered battlebros to hand the head over. I refused and they murdered us all in the following battle because we were at low health and with broken armor and shields.

But yes, actual wandering bands on the world map outside scripted events could be cool. Especially if they gobble up contracts from towns they pass through.

GrainWetski

Arcane
This game doesn't need more prevalent storyfaggotry at all. Keep it in your precious, linear action games.

So your medieval band of mercenaries has access to a PDA? Progress reports should fit in the game, if they should be there at all. Maybe you hear rumours about the greatest mercenary company getting decimated by a horde of orcs(and it actually happened in the game)? Or how Guts of the Band of the Hawk killed a demon by himself? That might be cool, but not some silly portable leaderboard.

tiagocc0

Arcane
So your medieval band of mercenaries has access to a PDA? Progress reports should fit in the game, if they should be there at all. Maybe you hear rumours about the greatest mercenary company getting decimated by a horde of orcs(and it actually happened in the game)? Or how Guts of the Band of the Hawk killed a demon by himself? That might be cool, but not some silly portable leaderboard.

According to your reasoning the window where it tells you your reputation is also a PDA.

Serus

Arcane
Patron
It could be possible to implement a horse-based combat in a turn-based format like BB (mechanically speaking) but it would require reworking the graphics a lot - those bust-like boardgame characters won't look good on horses...
You mean like the goblin wolfriders? Already in the game. The mount can die seperate from its rider, leaving either a goblin skirmisher or a wolf behind.

wolfriders.jpg
You're right of curse, i was so concentraded on human side that i forgot that we already have it in form of goblin riders... Welll then it is only a matter of adding some graphics, specific items (horses, lances), maybe a skill or two but as Oscar said - possibly an expansion material not an addition for the main game.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
I think a decent placeholder could be a retiring scene based upon how much gold you have (perhaps with some randomly generated vignettes for each merc based on their background, traits and how much gold you have upon disbanding).

e.g 10,000 you retire to a modest country villa and spend your days frugally but peacefully while the rest of the mercs more or less go back to their old lives

50,000 you marry into an impoverished family of minor nobility and gain an estate and bloodline. Some of the mercs do quite well, others blow it or meet untimely fates

200,000 you recruit an army and seize a foreign city state by force, condottieri style and establish a famous lineage.

Pirates style? Maybe with retired Mercs becoming part of the noble pool in consecutive games.

I think a random world is good for a game like this. I replayed Pirates or Darklands a million times, Blackguards with its story only one time.

sser

Arcane
Developer
Storyfaggotry is not in the works. You're intended to find your own stories, a la X-Com. Maybe there'll be some overall arcing goal/plot to guide things along, but not for now.

Grimwulf

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
If you kill your doomed Battle Brothers in tutorial (One-Eye and former Captain) with friendly fire (circular axe attack / arrow), you get their tier 2 weapons. One more reason to move this tutorial in Scenarios section, and let the players start the game right away, like it used to be.

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Balance is a lot better, at least. I am able to reliably get off to a decent start on ironman deadly difficulty. Raiders are still omni-present compared to the old version, though, so unless I get some bills or other anti-armour gear, I'm screwed after the first couple of missions.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom