Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Battle Brothers Pre-Release Thread

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
I'm like 60 days in, my guys are heavily armored (and I got few unique blue items as well), my reputation is "glorious" (is there anything higher?) and one of the factions is on 100/100 with me.

I have more than 200 days. The higher reputation is "Legendary".

Well, I kinda feel like I'm missing a lot of things, because I haven't yet seen orcish/goblin leader in that playthrough. Not mentioning Vampires, heavily armored skeletons(only those in hoods), necromancers, those guys dressed as wolves, ghosts or other houses :< And who knows what else. Maybe I rolled a shitty map those 3 weeks ago?

The map is huge. Keep exploring and you find them.

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
My two cents

I thought that I wouldn’t be able to play another game just to kill goblins, take loot and level up. But this game is so addicting and atmospheric that I got hooked. I understand the random generated content premise, but I also enjoyed the writing and other RPG-ish stuff, such as interactions between mercenaries, etc. I would like to see the following things:

More unique mercenaries to hire with special traits and defects, e.g., Volmar. The old man is awesome. He gets older as time passes.

More interactions between unique mercenaries, e.g., Volmar teaching Erik the secret son how to improve his melee combat.

Special quests associated with the past of these unique mercenaries. These won’t be contracts but the player can get some loot, etc.

The ability to attack peasants and caravans.

More unique weapons. In addition, they are uninspired. If wasn’t for the stats, they would be just regular weapons. It would be easy to write a small history and name each of them on a BG’s fashion. Please, place them on the loot of the hardest enemies, instead of selling them.

Don’t scatter enemies all around the place, especially if it’s in a difficult terrain. If the player is fighting in a swamp, he has to wait huge amounts of time just to begin to fight. This is boring as hell. The high renown of your band can also makes matters worse because most enemies will get defensive and they don’t move at all.

Bugs and stuff

If I buy food, the indicator showing how much food my band has is updated immediately. However, if I buy tools and supplies, medicinal supplies and ammunition, the indicators are not updated. I have to leave town in order to see how much tools and supplies, medicinal supplies and ammunition I have.

I’m using a wireless mouse and sometimes it’s lagging a lot.

oscar

Arcane
The thing is there are no magic weapons in this setting so there isn't really much more they can say beyond 'this is one of exceptional quality'. Perhaps a randomised sentence about how the previous owner acquired it if taken from a bandit leader.

Lhynn

Arcane
Well, unique weapons could offer unique abilities and disadvantages, inherent to their unique shape.

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
The thing is there are no magic weapons in this setting so there isn't really much more they can say beyond 'this is one of exceptional quality'. Perhaps a randomised sentence about how the previous owner acquired it if taken from a bandit leader.

I’m not talking about magic or overpowered weapons, I just want more personality. Even random mercenaries have a background. The best weapons need some love. The game revolves around killing things, taking loot and leveling up. More diversified and interesting loot amounts to more fun.

Jrpgfan

Erudite
Is this game worth getting yet? How's the development? When is it being released?

I dont like buying games on early access but it's been a while since I last played a good SRPG and not many options available lately, so It's being really hard to hold out on this one.

oscar

Arcane
Definitely extremely playable and a lot of fun. I've burnt up 200 hours already..

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
Have they put in animation speed options yet? If not, can anyone report on cheatengine speedhack experience?

oscar

Arcane
:salute:

80CD0EA982A00813389212C6CDC0A0BCB3CDF9F0

0E77F9501CF0292376F136E80549769725A7BFE5

5A86F7117081410F7DDA4BABB2A23419E89C522B

*puncture* *puncture*

232F208EF3AF4E356F177BCD422547B0CAA46E05

vonAchdorf

Arcane

Well, the Fangshire helmet is sort of a magic and unique weapon. Not sure if it's meant as a unique "thank you" or if there will be similar items to find in the final game. I think some low key magic weapons could fit the theme and I don't think they'd have put in the helmet, if it didn't match their vision for the game.

Jrpgfan

Erudite
Couldn't resist and ended up buying it. Can't stop playing it, this game is p.f.good.

Btw I have one question. Is there any way to increase the dialog text size? I'm kinda short sighted and on top of that I play at 1440p(got a 2k monitor and non-native res looks like shit on it) and it gets kinda tiresome after some time since this game is definitely not short on dialog.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
They said that they were outing their UI to a different library, maybe they can consider to implement something like this. Wouldn't be bad, the game could probably be played with a Steam Controller on a TV.

rapsdjff

Overhype Studios
Developer
Will the houses be full-on at war with each other or will be it more 'subtle' small-scale things like raids, sabotage, kidnapping, retaliations etc?
Both. There'll be contracts that revolve more around intrigue in the beginning of the game, as well as actual warfare stuff once war breaks out.

Got raped by another mercenary band today. Which made me wonder, why aren't they fully represented in the game? (roaming bands, locations, etc)
Lack of time, so far. There's like a thousand cool things we'd like to add to the game, but only so much time to do it.

More unique mercenaries to hire with special traits and defects, e.g., Volmar. The old man is awesome. He gets older as time passes.

More interactions between unique mercenaries, e.g., Volmar teaching Erik the secret son how to improve his melee combat.

Special quests associated with the past of these unique mercenaries. These won’t be contracts but the player can get some loot, etc.
Not sure what you mean; there are no hand-made unique mercenaries in the game. All people and their traits are procedurally generated. There's a lot of events that cover interaction between mercenaries already (including teaching events), and we'll keep on adding more.

More unique weapons. In addition, they are uninspired. If wasn’t for the stats, they would be just regular weapons. It would be easy to write a small history and name each of them on a BG’s fashion. Please, place them on the loot of the hardest enemies, instead of selling them.
They are regular weapons, except for their superior quality. They, too, are procedurally generated and not meant to be magical, rare or unique to an extent that they couldn't be sold. They're just there to make loot more interesting every now and then, and also because we realized that it'd be a while until we could invest the time to create actual unique weapons and armor.

The concept of legendary items is closer to what you describe; they'd actually be hand-made and come with backstories, unique looks, and unique skills and effects that open up new tactical options. The Fangshire Helm is an example of such a legendary item, and also the only one currently in the game. The idea is to have only a few of a larger pool available each campaign, and to have them be very hard to find and claim, possibly involving multiple steps.

Btw I have one question. Is there any way to increase the dialog text size? I'm kinda short sighted and on top of that I play at 1440p(got a 2k monitor and non-native res looks like shit on it) and it gets kinda tiresome after some time since this game is definitely not short on dialog.
Not right now. We're in the process of porting the UI to another library to solve a bunch of issues. Once that's achieved, having a scalable UI is one of the things we want to look into.

rapsdjff

Overhype Studios
Developer
blog_header_swamp.jpg

Update 0.6.0.21
This week’s update adds the last batch of natural combat environments. With all terrain on the worldmap accounted for in combat, we can cross another item off of our list towards a finished game!

Swamps received a major overhaul for a much sleeker look, as you can see below. Picking a fight on hilly terrain on the worldmap now actually results in hills in combat, so there is now a benefit to retreating to hills or luring enemies there to make a stand. Finally, snowy forests now look appropriately, and mountains come with their very own new combat environment full of crags and ravines.

With all this done, we move on to work on adding more contracts, having locations like bandit camps being present on combat maps, and doing lots of UI work necessary before implementing certain new features. Because some of those items require longer periods of development and testing, we’ll transition again to have larger but less frequent updates to the game for a while. Depending on what we’re working on, it could be several weeks between those more meaty updates. We’ll keep you updated as we go along.

Changelog
  • Added new swamp combat environment.
  • Added new mountainous combat environment.
  • Added new snowy forest combat environment.
  • Added new hilly combat environments for grassland, tundra, steppe and snow.
  • Changed ‘Swipe’ scenario to use the new forest environment.
  • Changed ‘Early Game’ scenario to use the new swamp environment.
  • Fixed mountains, snowy forests and shores on the worldmap not being linked correctly to their combat environments. Requires starting a new campaign to take effect.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
Not right now. We're in the process of porting the UI to another library to solve a bunch of issues. Once that's achieved, having a scalable UI is one of the things we want to look into.

Which library, if I may ask? You used Awesomium before, iirc.

Also, will we be able to tweak the map size on campaign start?

Jrpgfan

Erudite
Watching all those brofists and not being able to brofist myself is a painful experience.

Mazisky

Magister
Things like day\night cycle or environment variety are so underrated, even if only aesthetic, they add a lot to the overall atmosphere. That's why i couldn't enjoy games like Divinity Original Sin or HOMM series.

Lot of art directors just ignore that stuff.

The only recent game (strategic) who did put effort in this was x-com 2

This game seems really interesting but i'll wait the final release, i prefere to join a complete experience since start

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
there are no hand-made unique mercenaries in the game. All people and their traits are procedurally generated. There's a lot of events that cover interaction between mercenaries already (including teaching events), and we'll keep on adding more.

Some of your procedurally generated mercenaries are better than the hand-made NPCs of most cRPGs. :salute:

Doctor Sbaitso

Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
Doing a quick balls to the walls run using a bunch of beggar fishermen. Loving how this is rounding out. Nice job Bros!

*EDIT*

Saw an inventory bug whereby from the market I switch to Bros inventories. I dragged Studded Leather off a Bro to the stash and it disappeared. was my best armor too :(

Last edited:

Jrpgfan

Erudite
there are no hand-made unique mercenaries in the game. All people and their traits are procedurally generated. There's a lot of events that cover interaction between mercenaries already (including teaching events), and we'll keep on adding more.

Some of your procedurally generated mercenaries are better than the hand-made NPCs of most cRPGs. :salute:

That's true. Some of the mercenaries have a very interesting background and it fits really well their actual combat "profile".

Recently I bought one named Ulfert for a lot of monies(~9k). The description was like he was some legendary swordsmen who's been left to the sea for 300 days and learned how to fight balancing on a piece of flotsam. Turns out he really lives up to his description. He came with a noble sword and a double grip trait(+25% dmg with offhand free). Of course I picked dodge and nimble and increased his initiative(which was already high when I picked him). Well, I was doing a patrolling quest when I got attacked by many wolfriding goblins. Ulfert got surrounded by 3 or 4 of them and I used Riposte. He managed to dodge everything and killed all 4 in one single turn with counter-attacks. It was a thing of beauty.

Doctor Sbaitso

Patron
Awesome. 6 hours just melted away this evening. Goblins are real ass kickers holy shit. Will taunt cause them to abandon their shield walls? Bola and net bastards.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom