Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Battle Brothers Pre-Release Thread

sser

Arcane
Developer
If you fail to fulfill an ambition for a prolonged time, however, the men may lose confidence in your leadership, and their mood will suffer. Being a good mercenary commander also means making good on what you promise to the men.
From what I have heard about the game so far you can't create a character, so how exactly do you interact with your men

Mouse & Keyboard works best.

Reinhardt

Arcane
Gawd, I want to mod this game so fucking hard that it's not even funny ._. Maybe there is still hope for that at some point!

I'd totally mod in skaven-like monster faction and late-medieval items/weaponry(as a post-last tier, very rare and expensive items).

dIzl3gC.jpg

:P
More like
battle-sister.jpg

right? RIGHT?!

oscar

Arcane
One from a rare event chain or something but really wouldn't fit the realistic setting and tone to have a mixed band or some such.

ntonystinson

Scholar
If you fail to fulfill an ambition for a prolonged time, however, the men may lose confidence in your leadership, and their mood will suffer. Being a good mercenary commander also means making good on what you promise to the men.
From what I have heard about the game so far you can't create a character, so how exactly do you interact with your men

So basically you're invisible?

Hobo Elf

Arcane

I don't think anyone of us here is invisible, and if you're having trouble seeing your own reflection then you might want to consider the possibility that you're a vampire.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

I don't think anyone of us here is invisible, and if you're having trouble seeing your own reflection then you might want to consider the possibility that you're a vampire.
That, or your mirror is just a clever photo of the room.

Kev Inkline

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

Or you're blind.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Or you're blind.
Or worse, the mirror is blind.

hoverdog

dog that is hovering, Wastelands Interactive
Developer
Project: Eternity

Battle Brothers is not a cRPG because the parchment guy has no stats

To those of you who mainly use line battle/shield wall tactics, how do you deal with flankers? Whenever the enemy outnumbers my front line I typically run into the situation where 3+ enemy combatants surround the bros on either end of my line, gangraping them mercilessly, sometimes spilling into my poor billmen in the second rank.

My current plan is to replace the two bros on either end of the shield wall with plate-armoured greatsword users. It looks good on paper: armour allows them to tank hits from multiple opponents and the greatsword arc attacks are perfect for covering the flank. On the other hand, the bros further down the line would lose the shield wall synergy bonus. Unfortunately I did not test this tactic yet because of how expensive greatswordsmen are to actually equip, so I am curious if anyone else has experimented with something similar.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
I love the shield line and use it whenever I can. Usually I got some kind of heavy hitter holding the flanks. At least one guy with a billhook in the back row. When flanked I either switch the archers to melee or pull them back and move the billhook guy to intercept. It often works. When flanked too badly I can also try and move towards a new line. If that doesn't work it either disintegrates or I try and pull as many out as I can.

Remember though, different enemies need different strategies. Goblins for instance is when I go on the offensive to close asap. Ghosts mean I unencumber my men and give them weapons with a high chance to hit and then simply rush. Orcs? Line and warhammers.

Modron

Arcane
To those of you who mainly use line battle/shield wall tactics, how do you deal with flankers? Whenever the enemy outnumbers my front line I typically run into the situation where 3+ enemy combatants surround the bros on either end of my line, gangraping them mercilessly, sometimes spilling into my poor billmen in the second rank.

My current plan is to replace the two bros on either end of the shield wall with plate-armoured greatsword users. It looks good on paper: armour allows them to tank hits from multiple opponents and the greatsword arc attacks are perfect for covering the flank. On the other hand, the bros further down the line would lose the shield wall synergy bonus. Unfortunately I did not test this tactic yet because of how expensive greatswordsmen are to actually equip, so I am curious if anyone else has experimented with something similar.
If you're really outnumbered you could always turtle up, 4 guys on east and west lines and heaviest armored on north and south caps with a billhook backing them up. You know invite them to surround you so you have less enemies to fight at anyone moment id est the maximum amount of enemies anyone one bro is exposed to is three on the north and south ends and two everywhere else.

Last edited:
Thanks for the suggestions.

I love the shield line and use it whenever I can. Usually I got some kind of heavy hitter holding the flanks. At least one guy with a billhook in the back row. When flanked I either switch the archers to melee or pull them back and move the billhook guy to intercept. It often works. When flanked too badly I can also try and move towards a new line. If that doesn't work it either disintegrates or I try and pull as many out as I can.

Remember though, different enemies need different strategies. Goblins for instance is when I go on the offensive to close asap. Ghosts mean I unencumber my men and give them weapons with a high chance to hit and then simply rush. Orcs? Line and warhammers.

Yeah, the nice part about the shield wall is that it is fairly versatile. If you've got Orcs you can fold the front line into two rows to prevent knockback, if you are up against Goblins you can quickly advance while still benefiting from the front line having shields.

I think the most optimal choice to make for the second line would be to merge the polearm and ranged roles. Three-four archers with billhooks supporting 8-9 grunts is a lot better than two archers (the minimum for them to be effective, I found), three bills, and only 7 grunts.

Speaking of polearms, I am torn between pike and bill. The former is less powerful, but its weapon ability is at least occasionally useful, whereas I cannot think of a single instance to use the hook (I was very sad to find out that it doesn't dismount goblin riders :()

If you're really outnumbered you could always turtle up, 4 guys on east and west lines and heaviest armored on north and south caps with a billhook backing them up. You know invite them to surround you so you have less enemies to fight at anyone moment id est the maximum amount of enemies anyone one bro is exposed to is three on the north and south ends and two everywhere else.

Yeah, reactive formations like that are really cool. I should try them out more. I suppose something like a wedge should also work against superior numbers.

By the way, is there any chance difficulty-enhancing factors can be individually adjustable in the future? I am generally fine with the veteran/expert difficulties, but the item availability is kind of annoying for a game that relies on proper equipment and formations. It is cool to kit your guys out in mismatched gear early on, but scouring the entire map just to equip a single bro in expensive gear is a bit much, IMHO.

Krivol

Magister
I usually keep spearmen with spare weapons on flanks - most numerous enemies are low-armoured so experienced brother with spearwall activated (and skill not killing his ability when enemy is next to him) is a real killer.

And spare wapon is useful if you are facing not-so-many heay armoured orcs - spears are quite useless against them.

Any tactics for vampires? I usually loose 2-3 brother fighting with those suckers.

oscar

Arcane
Vampires steal health so try only engage them with experienced bros with good melee defence as rookies/caravan hands etc will only feed them. Perhaps park your more vulnerable guys on hills and surround your archers if they're lightly armoured.

rapsdjff

Overhype Studios
Developer
blog_header_retirement.jpg

Dev Blog #90: Retirement
Following up to last week’s dev blog about ambitions, this week we’re taking a look at the second upcoming feature that’s there to give your campaigns more purpose and in this case also closure: retirement. Let’s find out what that’s about!

Retirement
As mentioned last time, different players approach the game differently. For some, the journey is the reward, and the game doesn’t ever have to end. Others want to work towards a goal and then have definite closure to their game. We’re introducing the ability to retire from your company so that you can end your campaign, and have that closure, at any time of your choosing. The game won’t ever just end as you defeat an end game crisis, like the Greenskin Invasion, but it will only end when you choose to end it, or everyone is dead. Depending on the state you leave your company and the world in, and the ambitions you have or have not fulfilled, you’ll be presented with one of five different outcomes to your retirement. If you’ve already played Battle Brothers, you can probably imagine that not all of them are happy ends.

The image above is the illustration for one of those five endings, and it’s accompanied by a short bit of text recounting your exploits and telling you how the company continued to fare without your leadership. Does the company still exist? Who is their new captain? How is the company doing? All these depend on the state you leave your company in as you retire, and the more successful your campaign, the better the ending you get when you finally finish it.

Take a look at the video to see the painting process of the illustration in a time-lapse video of a few minutes, accompanied by an entirely new music track we’ll be adding to the game with the next update. It’s the second track that plays when fighting against a noble house in tactical combat – which may be happening more often now that a feud between nobles can escalate to open war as one of the three late game crises. If you want to listen to more music of Battle Brothers, you can do so on the SoundCloud page of Breakdown Epiphanies here.

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Are you lot planning to nerf the necromancers?

They've gone from this:

1. Raise 1 zombie

to this:

1. Raise 3 zombies
or
2. Raise 1 zombie and give 1 zombie super powers (3 accurate swings a turn)

An inexperienced band has little hope unless they outnumber the opposition enough that they can run around the flank, or otherwise has enough ranged to ensure pin-cushioning the necromancer. You can't start killing anyone prior to the necromancer's death because the necromancer can now raise 3 zombies a turn, and actually a zombie is more powerful than a human because he'll give it super-powers.

Not to say the necromancer shouldn't exist. It's just, he will appear in low-level quests to recover items/chase down thieves.

Last edited:

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Why yes, I did suffer a total party wipe from some shithead necromancer surrounded by thugs. Why do you ask?

agris

Arcane
Patron
why do you think an inexperienced group should be able to take out a necromancer? not all fights should be winnable, regardless of player experience and band composition.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom