Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Battle Brothers Pre-Release Thread

Saxon1974

Prophet
Is there any story or world lore or is this game just walking around fighting? I have it wish listed though as it looks good.

sser

Arcane
Developer
IIRC, maces affect fatigue so while you might not technically stun an opponent, you can fatigue-lock them into no-action turns.

Is there any story or world lore or is this game just walking around fighting? I have it wish listed though as it looks good.

Story-lite at best; it's more of an open-world game. There's a bit of an intro to get you out the door and some retirement stories to wrap things up. Otherwise you manage your company of various backgrounds and more or less make your own stories.

Dr Skeleton

Arcane
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Flails get good if you take their mastery perk, it makes the second attack (the one that always hits the head) ignore shields. It's amazing vs any human enemy (plus you reliably get their undamaged body armor after the fight) and can be great vs anyone depending on their helmet. It doesn't play well with your other guys doing normal attacks but you can always just use the regular flail attack, or separate 2 of your guys as a dedicated headhunter team with flails.

Reinhardt

Arcane
Just lost 4 of 6 brothers in battle versus Weasel gang. All melee enemies just died on sperawall without putting a fight, but fucking marksman just shot 2 of my men and then finished two more with his dagger. And my crossbowman missed 6 shots in a row.
I was like - :retarded:

Eyestabber

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Xqqz2hf.jpg

HOLY FUCKING SHIT! 91 days in and I defeated a couple of fallen heroes. Did I hit the jackpot or what!? :D :D :D :D

Saxon1974

Prophet
IIRC, maces affect fatigue so while you might not technically stun an opponent, you can fatigue-lock them into no-action turns.

Story-lite at best; it's more of an open-world game. There's a bit of an intro to get you out the door and some retirement stories to wrap things up. Otherwise you manage your company of various backgrounds and more or less make your own stories.
Thanks. Are the areas interesting...how is the exploration? Is it just the same quests as you move around like mount &, blade or is the world more interesting than that?

OSK

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I'm weak. After D:OS, I've been trying to only buy games that already have a Linux version playable. But I read the last several pages of this thread, proceeded to watch all of their "Let's play" videos and I now just bought the game. Supporter edition.

Andnjord

Arcane
Join the ranks brother and prepare yourself for the pain:whiteknight:

Also god damn orc warriors (yeah, yeah again). I don't mind that they have such a massive armour, I don't mind that their shields never break or that they can just move around unperturbed through your ranks to your backline. But I do hate that there is nothing you can do to CC them, no stun, no shield slams, no pike pushes only bashing and slashing them and praying they miss your vulnerable guy.

:deadtroll:

Yeah, just fought 7 of those fuckers and took three casualties, a raider, a witchunter and a fisherman. Guess which one came back to life?

Unwanted
Queued Shitposter
I'm weak. After D:OS, I've been trying to only buy games that already have a Linux version playable. But I read the last several pages of this thread, proceeded to watch all of their "Let's play" videos and I now just bought the game. Supporter edition.
You've made a mistake alone by the fact that the devs are unable or unwilling to implement time speedup for travel. Its really inexcusable.

Reinhardt

Arcane
Browsing steam threads right now and someone mentioned that ghoul contracts exist only on lower difficulties. It's true? I wanna fight ghoulies.

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Browsing steam threads right now and someone mentioned that ghoul contracts exist only on lower difficulties. It's true? I wanna fight ghoulies.

That seems odd if true. I just fought a massive horde of basic zombies (34 I think it was) with a large mid-level party, so I imagine ghouls should also be available. They kind of suck, though, and don't drop any loot beyond their teeth (which are cheap).

I've also spotted a lot more vampires in the current version than I did in the past. They seem to run around in groups of 3 to 6, and I got an event while transporting a caravan that forced me to fight 3 of them. As a result, I have a decent number of noble swords.

How effective is the new shield-less one-hander defense perk? The defense buff is now determined by the weight of the armour, so I'm not sure if I should bother. I have a lvl 7 founder wearing the 150 point mail and carrying a noble sword w/heater shield. Not sure if I should grab that perk and drop the shield, upping the noble sword damage. Can I combine the perk with the other defensive high-level perk that reduces armour damage depending on weight?

Also, colossus is great, screw everyone who says otherwise.

hivemind

Holy shit, just had a recently recruited houndmaster bro hold off 3 orcs for like 4 turns while at 3hp, he kept dodging and dodging and eventually even finished off an injured berserk that tried to disengage him with attacks of opportunity

this is how you establish yourself in a company

:salute::salute::salute:

Maggot

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
Got assraped on the first big fight but I'm having fun already.
leqzjg.png

I was doing pretty good right up until the end too then all my men dropped like flies and I won because of morale

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom