Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Battle Brothers Pre-Release Thread

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Yeah. I wouldn't mind if the narrative was killer, but it isn't. It bugs me that when modern gamers think of an RPG, they think of Skyrim. There were action RPG's in the old days too, but at least there were tactical alternatives. There needs to be some successful tactical games nowadays to keep the flag flying. If just one of them could get big, it would bring a lot more and bigger budgets.

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
Yeah. I wouldn't mind if the narrative was killer, but it isn't. It bugs me that when modern gamers think of an RPG, they think of Skyrim. There were action RPG's in the old days too, but at least there were tactical alternatives. There needs to be some successful tactical games nowadays to keep the flag flying. If just one of them could get big, it would bring a lot more and bigger budgets.

Perhaps nu-XCOM was that successful tactical game?
There has been veritable flood of these kinds of games after it.
How many developers advertised these kinds of games before it?

Besides Battle Brothers has sold
Owners: 46,274 ± 5,697
http://steamspy.com/app/365360
And that's still just early access.

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
anvi make sure you play Knights of the Chalice and Temple of Elemental Evil. Those two are current the best examples of PC TB combat IMO.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Perhaps nu-XCOM was that successful tactical game?
There has been veritable flood of these kinds of games after it.
Yeah that was a real step in the right direction.

anvi make sure you play Knights of the Chalice and Temple of Elemental Evil. Those two are current the best examples of PC TB combat IMO.
Completed both, very good games. ToEE I have finished a few times. It is a shame that one was buggy at release because it got terrible reviews but they were all focused on bugs. The game itself is really good.

Realms of Arkania HD
On my wishlist.

Luka-boy

Arcane
I decided to play a couple of scenarios since I won't start the campaign until the next patch is released.

After playing the first few undead ones I tried the Battle Line vs Orcs one. I got utterly wrecked.
:love:

Kuattro

Augur
I don't get people not playing this and waiting for the last patch.

I mean, I do get it, I was on the same train until this week, I tried to be manly and hard but in the end I gave up and I'm having a blast. The patch is probably not going to be done until February or even later, and that is a long time to wait for a game that has no story, linear campaign or anything of the sort, so you can pick it up, play it to death, and then when the patch is released play it again with all the new things added. But to each their own.

About the discussion about weapons, I have to say that flails are probably my favourite weapon. Yes, they are incredibly situational, and in most combats they will not do a lot of anything other than add a little to the damage so that someone else can finish off the enemy, but boy, when it happens, it really happens, and moments like those are the best I've ever had. "What's that flailbro, you have two heavily armed very dangerous looking raiders in front of you? But it looks like they forgot to put their helmets on this morning. Ping, pong. What's that flailbro, you have no one in front of you and half of the enemies are right now questioning their life choices? Good man."

I dream every night about the possibility of a two handed flail. Come on, every other weapon gets it and you know you want it.

Yeah, the greatsword can do that and then some, like decapitate three blokes in one swing, and they are much more versatile (and much more expensive), but still, little moments. Maybe that's what developers and journalists mean when they laud diversity so much? You have greatswordbros for when you feel there's not enough heads flying around, and flailbros for when you feel there's not enough crushed skulls around.

Anyway, the only problem I have right now is the shit productivity of the smithies. Where the fuck are my scale armors? I'm around 110 days in and still no scale plates, I hope to see them soon, but not that many normal scale armors either, and when a scale wearing brother bites the dust and I lose the armor is a bit of a drama. Where are my full helms? I don't know what is tougher, the early game where you don't have funds for the good shit, or the mid to late game where you have the funds but nothing to spend them on. I've resorted to fighting fallen heroes, their helms might not be the best, but they look badass.

Beowulf

Arcane
I dream every night about the possibility of a two handed flail. Come on, every other weapon gets it and you know you want it.

Yeah, the greatsword can do that and then some, like decapitate three blokes in one swing, and they are much more versatile (and much more expensive), but still, little moments. Maybe that's what developers and journalists mean when they laud diversity so much? You have greatswordbros for when you feel there's not enough heads flying around, and flailbros for when you feel there's not enough crushed skulls around.
[...]

Doctor Sbaitso

Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
You wouldn't know; you didn't play it. The story was pretty much shit but the combat is very good and the encounter design is solid. Considering the dearth of good TB combat on a grid, it was some of the best in years. Your brain may be atrophied by the expectation of 30 seconds to climax.

Lhynn where is the spelling error hmm? I am bracing for discussion of proper semicolon use.
:outrage:

Lhynn

Arcane
You wouldn't know; you didn't play it. The story was pretty much shit but the combat is very good and the encounter design is solid. Considering the dearth of good TB combat on a grid, it was some of the best in years. Your brain may be atrophied by the expectation of 30 seconds to climax.

Lhynn where is the spelling error hmm? I am bracing for discussion of proper semicolon use.
The story is not shit, its actually fairly good until that retarded character Six shows up, every problem with writing in that game could be solved if you simply delete that character.

Doctor Sbaitso

Patron

The story is not shit, its actually fairly good until that retarded character Six shows up, every problem with writing in that game could be solved if you simply delete that character.

It was serviceable and didn't get in the way, but pretty forgettable for me. The combat I remember.

Lhynn

Arcane
It was serviceable and didn't get in the way, but pretty forgettable for me. The combat I remember.
The story came down to you tracking an artifact on the orders of your boss, without ever realizing exactly what you were doing. Every "coincidence" in the game was by his devices and it all came together tightly and nicely at the end. If it werent for Six and his retarded intervention it would have been a good story.

Humanophage

Arcane
Do people generally play on Veteran? Beginner seems a little too easy, but Veteran is so random in the beginning.

Teut Busnet

Cipher
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
If you read the Steam BB forum, most seem to play Veteran + Ironman, yes. (I think the majority of complaints come as a consequence of new players starting on Veteran instead of using Beginner as a tutorial).

It's quite a step from Beginner to Veteran, but the biggest 'random' element is the map. If you find a good one with some profitable, short trade routes it makes the early game easier because you're not forced to take high risk contracts. I wish there was a map seed.

Teut Busnet

Cipher
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
Tell that to my scalecoat wearing, greatsword wielding company of hedgeknights, while your crippled peasent posse fights bandit thugs for scraps with wooden flails.

If you survive that long, of course.

Skittles

He ruins the fun.
Does anyone here have experience with a dagger bro? I'm thinking of building around using the notched blade and going for puncture spam. Dagger Mastery + Berserk by 6th level should net me four attacks a round standing still, assuming a kill in the first three. Seems like the ideal bro to do Crippling Strikes + Executioner for multiple attacks on one target. One of or both Fearsome and Killing Frenzy would be great as 7 & 8, leaving four for defensive/mobility perks: Pathfinder and Underdog for sure; assuming he has über fatigue like all of my bros, Battle Forged and Brawny; otherwise Shield Expert + Nimble, I guess, with Anticipation instead of Fearsome or something.

I assume that shielded enemies will be the bane of his existence and that -15% to hit with puncture isn't doing daggers any favors, but by 70 melee skill with so many attacks per round, should work out. I'm really impressed by goblin ambushers' ability to shred even my Übermenschen with just two lucky hits.

Doctor Sbaitso

Patron
I would think dagger focus would be good with some focus on criticals.

I'm also interested in dagger opinions.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom