Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Battle Brothers + Beasts & Exploration, Warriors of the North and Blazing Deserts DLC Thread

Elhoim

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
Let me precise. About improved contract mechanic.
Like allowing you check what the offered contract are even if you have one, taking more than one, or letting you cash out in any faction settlement(if it makes sense) so there is no need to walk back a lot.
Some new contracts that obviously come with new monsters don't matter that much.

Those are very good points :salute:

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Wow. That was a quick response to a meaningless issue. Impressed.

Zombra 1 hour ago
Please change the TRYOUT RECRUIT button to read TRY OUT RECRUIT.
/nitpick

rapsdjff [developer] 1 hour ago
Will do. Thanks for letting us know.

Teut Busnet

Cipher
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
Some welcome changes there. Especially the tryout feature is neat. Also permanent destruction might be viable now if you can rebuild stuff.
I don't think they mean they can rebuild completely destroyed settlements now.

The 'burned-down attached locations' were rebuilt already, it's just that the towns now 'first gather building materials, and are willing to pay good coin for it'.

At least that's how I understood it.

Barbarian

Arcane
Something people previously suggested(and which I would also like) are prosperity mechanics. Settlements growing larger or smaller. A village becomes a city, a city gets more "attached locations"(mills, towers, etc) etc. These are the kind of stuff that can hugely improve a sandbox game.

They seem to be moving at this direction, but with small steps.

Tigranes

Arcane
These are all good steps. Now the retreat button is actually worth using and looks like a fair estimate of injuries accrued - that makes ironman far more bearable.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
In another news sser has written on his blog a post about the sources he used for Battle Brothers:
https://www.caseynotcasey.com/blog/2018/9/5/battle-brothers-a-bibliography

Perhaps to expand on what he wrote last month?

sser , the diary of Peter Hagendorf is available in English. It's part of The Thirty Years War by Tryntje Helfferich. Which is a pretty neat read in itself. It's for sale, although a torrent is rumored. And man, what a life these people led...https://bt4g.com/magnet/81482b379d62ddd0049732db991cf8efbec84751

Going to start on The Faithful Executioner as my next read. Looking very much towards it. Thanks for the solid recommendation.

Draugir101

Novice
I really like these improvements, although I wish the tryout feature would let me know about the recruits talents and skills, not just his feats.

Ezeekiel

Liturgist
Two things I hope they'll take a look at:

Once battles involve large numbers, turn time can end up annoyingly high (because there are still too many pauses/slowdowns between actions/turns). Also present in smaller battles, but of course then it isn't so noticeable.
Coming between 2 warring noble factions where you want to support one but they're usually fighting to the north of you out of sight... Oof.
Being already inside a noble formation vs another one (siege contract etc) also sucks hard at times for the same reason. A million guys taking their turns with all these little pauses/slowdowns.
Even if you activate the relevant speed-up options in the options menu it's still annoying as hell.
Maybe a fast-forward button or something that you can hold when you want things to go faster? But that may not be possible the way the game works idk.

The performance also takes a serious hit in large battles in spite of there being no animations or anything and it being turn-based... Something a little off with the a.i. maybe?

Anyway...
Battle Brothers kind of scales up (via renown and whatnot) until it hits the lower end of the territory where you go from regular old, dude after dude turn-based style being optimal to some sort of other solution becoming possibly superior due to numbers involved in the fights.
Either having squads at your command rather than just individuals, or rtwp (meh).
The movement options and amount of actions you can take per turn are already few/not very granular compared to games like JA2 so that is already better suited to a more macro approach rather than the individual one we have right now.
Not really change-able without a massive rework of everything from ruleset to art. Might be interesting to have squads and squad leaders in a Battle Brothers 2 though, perhaps. You already have pikes and stuff, after all.

Last edited:

Parabalus

Arcane
End Round Button
See that button below? Clicking it (or using the hotkey) and confirming your choice in the following dialog will have all your men skip their turns for the current round. If you’re just waiting for the next round, this can help speed things along.

They should add a "Wait with all" button as well while they're at it.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Wow. That was a quick response to a meaningless issue. Impressed.

Zombra 1 hour ago
Please change the TRYOUT RECRUIT button to read TRY OUT RECRUIT.
/nitpick

rapsdjff [developer] 1 hour ago
Will do. Thanks for letting us know.

Ask them to put graphically impressive brothels and whores in the game. They seem to listen to you!
Might be because he doesn't ask for shit like that :P

Sarissofoi

Arbiter
This Tryout(TM) option sound like real improvement but probably hiring and firing all cheap backgrounds to free slots to spawn more desirable ones not gonna go. And well wonder about how much info and how much it gonna cost.

Anyway lets talk about some improvements to both company and soldier inventories.
Now limited space gonna be even more annoying that before with that all new resources and items coming.
Just explaining things: in longer runs player usually have a real problem with limited inventory space - all that unique items, spare weapons, bandages/antidotes, crafting resources, food take space. On higher difficulties having spare armor for chain battles is also important because you don't really want start another fight when your armor is battered and have half durability.
And right now they gonna add all that new beastly crafting loot and that gonna take space. Not even mention actually taking loot for selling alter(often when you are stuffed with supplies its not really a option).
There is two things that are major problems - not stack-able items and very limited ability to increase company inventory space. Having option to stack some loot/craft-able components or one use items(like antidotes/bandages/nets) would be neat and really helpful for player.
Ability to increase company inventory space by ambitions(in much higher value and more times) would be helpful too.
Other possibility would be make some items refillable from specific supplies. Like bandages/antidotes from medical supplies, nets from ammo, etc. Or making some one time use items - few time use - like making a bandage a first aid bag with 3 uses. It would really help in saving inventory space. Combination of both would be the best probably.
Even if not refillable it would be helpful in saving inventory space. If having few uses a remnants from used items(like empty bottles/empty first aid bag) could be used in crafting recipes).

Soldier inventory.
Now we have single accessory slot that is used for various things - like carrying a dog, varied stat altering/ability granting items(sash/trophies) and utility items(bandages/poisons/antidotes/mushrooms etc). Some are passable to Belt/bags inventories some not which lead to many unpleasant situation like servant with sash can't use bandages, the same goes for dogs etc.
But we have also have ammo slot that is just used for arrows/bolts and that is all.
And of course belt/bags inventory slots that are used as reserve slots and not directly.
So what could be done to improve this system.
One option is to ability to use utility items directly from inventory - limit accessory slot to accessories only - and make bandages/etc be usable when placed in belt/bags slots.
Other is to use ammo slot for this. Most melee characters don't use it anyway. Ability to put utility items here would be useful for them and they could be easily switched with ammo for the ranged characters. Bag and belts perk could also grant benefit of doubling this ammo/utility slot so it would become more desirable.
You could also make bandage pouches/antidote bottles visible on character like in case of ammo. Could look pretty cool.
Dog is kind of the bigger offender. I mean it make little sense to keep a dog in pocket. It also block character from using accessory/utility items. What about making a dog a weapon system? It takes a place of the shield and grant ability to use a dog bite attack for a handling soldier. It could also grant a soldier bonus defense in same way as shield do(that hits that hit shields defense hit a dog but without shield reduction). After releasing a dog handler can hid item in bags/belt and switch to other weapons/shields.

Any thoughts?

Of course there is possibility that devs already address these issues in one way or another.

Parabalus

Arcane
Of course there is possibility that devs already address these issues in one way or another.

They mentioned there will be more inventory slots, because of crafting, but I didn't see any specifics. Your ideas are what I'd like to see as well, either a "bank" or more events for space.

Letting everything go into the "bag&belt" might be the simplest solution, will also make the perk slightly better. A new perk for a second accessory slot might also be a decent option.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
DEV BLOG #106: LEGENDARY LOCATIONS
We’ve covered the ‘beast’ part of the upcoming ‘Beasts & Exploration’ DLC quite a bit already, but we’ve only touched upon the ‘exploration’ part here and there. Let’s take a look this week at a major feature that’s going to make exploration in the world of Battle Brothers more interesting and worthwhile: legendary locations.

LEGENDARY LOCATIONS
Legendary locations are supposed to capture the flair of unique and mythical places in the unknown parts of the world. It’s giant overgrown statues and hidden temples. Remnants of a different age. Places that people think only exist in myth, until they see them with their own eyes. Places that give insight into what happened in the world of Battle Brothers before your campaign.

There’s two places already in the game which we consider to fall into this category: The Black Monolith and the Goblin City, both offering a very challenging battle and a legendary item as reward. We’re going to add an illustrated introduction to both of them, as well as a powerful named opponent to one of them. But more than that, we’re adding a whole bunch of new locations, many of them more complex, scattered all across a world map that is about to become 15% larger in order to have sufficient room for exploration and hunting all of those new beasts.

Instead of just two legendary locations, you’ll be able to find about a dozen now in every campaign. Upon first approaching any such place, an event will be triggered. These events vary in complexity, and some will lead to epic battles, like with the Black Monolith, while others give opportunity for peaceful exploration, interaction and perhaps even puzzle solving. A couple of these legendary locations are intended as challenges only for very experienced mercenary companies and guarded by powerful creatures or armies, but most can be mastered at earlier stages of a campaign. As a general rule, the more distant a location from civilized lands, the more challenging it will be. All of them will offer a unique reward for the daring explorer that can’t be obtained in any other way, and which is suitably powerful for existing only once in every campaign.

monolith_enter_event.jpg

With exploration becoming more rewarding, we’re also adding several new ambitions that focus on exploration, uncovering legendary locations and besting a legendary beast we have yet to reveal. And if you’re looking to get paid for all this exploration business, you might be interested to learn that there’s also a new exploration-themed contract coming together with a bunch more for a total of 10 new types of contracts in the ‘Beasts & Exploration’ DLC.

That's some good shit over here :D

Teut Busnet

Cipher
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
Hm, 'a 15% bigger map' doesn't sound like much. I've not been one of the people who thought the world was 'way too small', but that was a frequent criticism. Some players will be disappointed with that.

Good news about the 10 additional contract types, I hope they'll make longer campaigns feel less grindy.

Hm, 'a 15% bigger map' doesn't sound like much. I've not been one of the people who thought the world was 'way too small', but that was a frequent criticism. Some players will be disappointed with that.

Good news about the 10 additional contract types, I hope they'll make longer campaigns feel less grindy.

One wonders if they'll add more settlements to the world map to account for the bigger size.

Very much looking forward to the DLC coming out.

razvedchiki

Erudite
planning to start a new playthrough,need good map seed and should i go for expert combat/economics?also there is a mod that allows 18 bros in battle,does it make the game easier?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom