Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Battle Brothers + Beasts & Exploration, Warriors of the North and Blazing Deserts DLC Thread

Eyestabber

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
So...this is what happens when I find a GOOD map seed:

BE8401D6A69F36CF8A6708CDEE4C269227B181C4

That's day 3 of my campaign, btw :D :D :D

rezaf

Cipher
The game is THE best attempt to recreate the Xcom/JA2 experience in almost a decade. To me that's reason enough to support the devs. The people complaining about the game only do so after 200+ hours. Let the thought sink in...

I'm really puzzled what people interpret into this game. This thread is in the RPG forum even though this clearly is not an RPG but a strategy game with role playing elements.
Which is, I guess, why people compare it with XCom even though the two games have almost nothing in common besides being ROUGHLY in the same subgenre.
The game recreates the XCom experience in the same way playing Infinite Warfare recreates the Wolfenstein 3D experience.

agris

Arcane
Patron
it's because the forum a game exists in is a type of virtue signaling, almost all the games 'the codex' are really excited about are in the gRPG forum, regardless of their RPG-ness or not. there is no interest in accurate filing of games by the staff.

jungl

Augur
coolest brother I had a assasin background had extremely high initiative was a ninja. Funny thing tho the best thing for him to use was a warhammer because of greenskin invasion.

Murk

Arcane
How'd you get the assassin? Is it part of a contract or just random occurrence? I've yet to get one of the special background bros.

Cadmus

Arcane
I finished the undead crisis. I played on Beginner even though it made me feel ashamed I thought I'd get a good grasp of how the game works before getting brutally raped with no idea what I'm doing. Still got about 20-30 dead guys in my obituary.
What happened though is I'm burned out. Is there something I haven't seen in the game?

The fights were kinda nice. There seems to be only a few weapons and anything that has a name is way too expensive for me to buy. The skill tree is a bit boring. The quests are ok I guess but once I realized it's all random I stopped reading them and they became repetitive.
Archers sucked against the undead but I guess they'd be good against the other end game crisis. Couldn't be arsed to remember any of the random names of the Lords etc.
The big fights get boring.
The line of sight is really retarded as shit and my crossbow guy seems to hit my guys any chance he gets so that's fucking annoying.

Trueman

Novice
Battle Brothers is a challenging turn based strategy RPG mix for PC, Mac and Linux. The gameplay is inspired by such classics as X-com: UFO Defense and Jagged Alliance. It is being developed by Overhype Studios and is currently in Early Access.

Overhype Studios says that Battle Brothers is inspired by games like X-COM: UFO Defense and Warhammer: Shadow of the Horned Rat.

Which is, I guess, why people compare it with XCom even though the two games have almost nothing in common besides being ROUGHLY in the same subgenre.

People compare it with "X-Com", you fucking illiterate dumbfuck newfag. And the similarities are obvious and undeniable to anyone who isn't suffering from frontotemporal lobar degeneration. Especially when the god damn developers of the fucking game do it.

Now shut your whore mouth and let the grown ups do the talking.

Parabalus

Arcane
There are a bunch of seeds on the steam forums so you don't have to spend time rerolling maps if you're into that. Try 133884, it's almost too good.

miles teg

Scholar
At the risk of being labelled as retard, I'll say that the whole map thingy reminds me of Sid Meier's pirates. 4 factions, each owning several settlements busy in commerce; caravans spawning from said settlements that can enhance other ports if they reach destination. Hell if this game was moddable I'd provably add a dance minigame with some settlement's major daughter...

Last edited:

Whisper

Arcane
Vatnik
Trying crossbowman instead of archers now, first - i dont get Dodge and dont increase Init so they are hit much more often. Also have some trouble with enemy archers.
On positive side they destroy armored targets. But against fleshy enemies (orc young ones, zombies, ghouls and esp. dire wolves - they are much worse).

But archers are very bad vs armored targets...

I think crossbowman+throwing build.
Pathfinder+Bullseye+Anticipation+Throwing+Crossbow+Berserk+Belts&Pockets+Head Hunter+Quick Draw+Frenzy (or Battleforged).

Or archer+throwing build will be better?

Kuattro

Augur
Trying crossbowman instead of archers now, first - i dont get Dodge and dont increase Init so they are hit much more often.

Why not?

Also have some trouble with enemy archers.

No dodge and no pumped up initiative, no wonder. I'm scared just thinking about your poor crossbowmen.

Pathfinder+Bullseye+Anticipation+Throwing+Crossbow+Berserk+Belts&Pockets+Head Hunter+Quick Draw+Frenzy (or Battleforged).

¿Berserker on crossbowmen? Surely that's heresy. It doesn't benefit them in the least. Drop it.

No Footwork also makes me sad for them. Remember that when they stand in front of a necrosavant.

I would lose bags&belts (unless you also use longaxes so that your archers bring down shields, but I doubt it if you're also giving them throwing weapons, too many things at the same time), twenty bolts and four throwing axes or ten bolts and eight throwing axes is all anyone should ever need. I probably would also lose quick hands, the turn you have to change weapons you can use to better position yourself.

Archers+throwing axes makes them effective against armoured enemies, while crossbowmen are always effective against them with just the crossbow.

But then again, since they reworked ranged weapons so that they can fire through one friendly line without penalties, I've not really used my ranged bros as anything other than pure range (not even throwing weapons), so I might be a bit off.

Whisper

Arcane
Vatnik
I am thinking aboout berserker since it allows to re-position crossbowman for 2 tiles (often you need it). If you re-position without berserk you lose shot.

About footwork i have it on all, i think i dont take one last trait i listed.

I have some problem with crossbow vs flesh enemies like direwolves and berserkers.
Archers do good vs them, but bad vs armored. Crossbow is different: bad vs flash (same dmg but 1 not 2 times per turn) but good vs armor.

I need either throwing as crossbow (javelins) to change when a lot no-armor enemies or i need throwing as bow (axes) when a lot armored enemies at front-line.

I am thinking which is easier to pull off perk-wise. 10 perks total, can be hard to get all.

Last edited:

Whisper

Arcane
Vatnik
About Quick-hands, i am thinking about Overseer crossbow, which is less-accurate but instead pushes (!!!) enemy by 1 tile back.

Shooting to the face and hitting, means i dont need use footwork (save 25 ap) OR i can use to save brother who needs to flee or to put enemy from high position.

So i can use great crossbow but change to Overseer crossbow when need push back.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
¿Berserker on crossbowmen? Surely that's heresy. It doesn't benefit them in the least. Drop it.

thing is you run out of viable perks on a crossbowman very fast, so then you just pick shit at random even if the boon is negligible, and berserk gives you a free attack every now and again (kill, reload, shoop again), which isn't the worst of deals

Parabalus

Arcane
Trying crossbowman instead of archers now, first - i dont get Dodge and dont increase Init so they are hit much more often. Also have some trouble with enemy archers.
On positive side they destroy armored targets. But against fleshy enemies (orc young ones, zombies, ghouls and esp. dire wolves - they are much worse).

But archers are very bad vs armored targets...

Crossbowman are better candidates for Rdef since they need less fatigue or perks than archers. I have 1 crossbow and 3 archers, with only the xbow having pumped Rdef since he needs to be closer to shoot enemy archers.

I have a bow+throwing guy, wanted to try it out since I found and bought a lot of unique throwing weapons. They are very cheap (2k a pop).

Bows + throwing share all perks except the one mastery. Use a bow normally, quick switch to throwing axes when something armored closes by since they destroy armor. I'd change xbow->bow , drop pathfinder, bullseye, and anticipation for executioner, nimble, rotation, maybe headhunter for dodge since you don't want to strip head armor often.

About Quick-hands, i am thinking about Overseer crossbow, which is less-accurate but instead pushes (!!!) enemy by 1 tile back.

Shooting to the face and hitting, means i dont need use footwork (save 25 ap) OR i can use to save brother who needs to flee or to put enemy from high position.

So i can use great crossbow but change to Overseer crossbow when need push back.

When you get Overseer you'll likely have maxed out skill so it's better until you get a unique arbalest. The knockback usually wastes an enemy attack with how AP works.

I am thinking aboout berserker since it allows to re-position crossbowman for 2 tiles (often you need it). If you re-position without berserk you lose shot.

About footwork i have it on all, i think i dont take one last trait i listed.

I have some problem with crossbow vs flesh enemies like direwolves and berserkers.
Archers do good vs them, but bad vs armored. Crossbow is different: bad vs flash (same dmg but 1 not 2 times per turn) but good vs armor.

I need either throwing as crossbow (javelins) to change when a lot no-armor enemies or i need throwing as bow (axes) when a lot armored enemies at front-line.

I am thinking which is easier to pull off perk-wise. 10 perks total, can be hard to get all.

Berserker is not worth it IMO on xbow because you already have 3 free moves in a fight. Actually it might be really good, I'll try it out.

Footwork is a waste of a skill since rotation exists. You can use a dog and rotation on him if you are caught with no allies around.

Archers are all around much better when you get high level, and you need them to kill off enemy ranged guys which are the highest danger. A viable approach is to use xbows on everyone until high ranged skill, but not using the perk on weapon mastery.

No dodge and no pumped up initiative, no wonder. I'm scared just thinking about your poor crossbowmen.

No Footwork also makes me sad for them. Remember that when they stand in front of a necrosavant.

I would lose bags&belts (unless you also use longaxes so that your archers bring down shields, but I doubt it if you're also giving them throwing weapons, too many things at the same time), twenty bolts and four throwing axes or ten bolts and eight throwing axes is all anyone should ever need. I probably would also lose quick hands, the turn you have to change weapons you can use to better position yourself.

Archers+throwing axes makes them effective against armoured enemies, while crossbowmen are always effective against them with just the crossbow.

But then again, since they reworked ranged weapons so that they can fire through one friendly line without penalties, I've not really used my ranged bros as anything other than pure range (not even throwing weapons), so I might be a bit off.

Initiative isn't that good on xbow. Vs enemy archers it's advantageous to move after them, since you both wait and their xbow will move and shoot first, giving you a clear shot.

Ranged def isn't really useful on your archers. Unless your entire outfit is high def enemy archers will just gangbang your other guys while staying out of range of your own archers, which is much worse than them shooting you and you killing them back.

Rotation is superior to footwork and you don't really need both. You need bags&belts + quick hands for anything involving throwing, you will be useless otherwise. Quick hands for archers is very good but not mandatory.

Agreed that there is no real reason to go hybrid melee/ranged, you are just wasting valuable stat points.

Whisper

Arcane
Vatnik

thing is you run out of viable perks on a crossbowman very fast, so then you just pick shit at random even if the boon is negligible, and berserk gives you a free attack every now and again (kill, reload, shoop again), which isn't the worst of deals

We must play crossbowman differently.

I do need extra-perks.

If i had room, i would take executioner (since i cripple every hit) and frenzy, for example. Also would take battlle-forged. Adrenaline looks nice for some situations for low Int crossbowman, etc.

Whisper

Arcane
Vatnik
I have 6 archers and 6 frontliners, with whom should i use rotation? With another archer or frontline (who is in melee)?

About archers being shot, i prefer enemy shooting battle-forged in plate with a lot of hp.

With crossbowman - problem is if you moved even 1 tile, you cant mantain 1 shot per round, unless it is 1st round. So you often have choice either shoot at enemy when you cant get good position or clear shot, or move so you can shoot in next turn.

On other hand you get 2-3 kills per crossbowman, you can relocate 2-3 times per battle, probably enough.

Whisper

Arcane
Vatnik
"drop pathfinder, bullseye, and anticipation for executioner, nimble, rotation, maybe headhunter for dodge since you don't want to strip head armor often."

Hmm, without pathfinder you have trouble climbing, also in some maps like swamps you can get in trouble.
Without bulls-eye you have trouble killing necromancer for example who often blocked.

Anticipation, without it - how you reliably avoid enemy ranged dmg? 1-2 crossbow hit and you in trouble.

Executioner looks nice but it doesnt work on undead... wasted perk in that fights.

Head-hunter is for crossbow (archer wont take).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom