Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter BattleTech Pre-Release Thread

Weasel
Looking forward to the next generation taking the lead in the sequel.

Lady Kamea and Lord Alexander found their close friendship turning to something... more in the heat of battle, producing an heir, Tashneequa, her Egyptian / Portuguese / Hawaiian / Maori features exciting portrait painters across the region.

Meanwhile, Darius Oliveira and Sumire Meyer bumped into each other in a run-down spaceport tavern after a few PPCs too many. 9 months later, out popped the Brazilian / Cuban / Dutch / Japanese baby she named Cyril.

Cyril and Tashneequa grew up hundreds of light years apart but fate intervened, stranding them on the same malfunctioning jumpship in the Taurian Concordat. Love worked its magic, and they doted upon young Irenaeus, who proudly proclaimed his Brazilian / Cuban / Dutch / Japanese / Egyptian / Portuguese / Hawaiian / Maori heritage to everyone he met.

Then one day, shortly after coming of age, Irenaeus enlisted in the mechwarrior academy and laid eyes on the sultry Cholerica, with her distinctive Belgian / Colombian / Icelandic / Irish / Tibetan / Ethiopian / Fijian features....

DeepOcean

Arcane
Hey, while I'm blowing up shit on space a few thousand light years away from earth, I wonder about my ancestor, an american sexual tourist that impregnated my my other ancestor, a polynesian under age prostitute. I'm proud of my american/polynesian ancestry, see the amount of melanin on my skin and the shape of my nose, those are distinguished, all important, features of the american/polynesian culture.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
HBS is full of liberals and sjw, and drama queens apparently... Reading some of their tweets during the election turned me off from ever buying or playing one of their games ever again... Fucking cunts.

almondblight

Arcane
HBS is full of liberals and sjw, and drama queens apparently... Reading some of their tweets during the election turned me off from ever buying or playing one of their games ever again... Fucking cunts.

Their personal tweets? The official HBS tweets are all about their games.

twincast

Learned
Patron
In My Safe Space
The fuck did I do to twincast?
I honestly don't remember. Blame there not being a two-level ignore feature for more nuance. Some of the accounts on my ignore list are stereotypical Putin-lovin' Codex Scum, the others just annoyed the hell outta me at some point. I seriously can't be bothered to keep a list of who is which. IIRC Only Roguey ever managed to get off it. And it's not like I never read ignored posts, so cheerio. :salute:

Eh, you know what, I'm in a good mood, so here, have an unignore.

Last edited:

Fry

Arcane

Hate to tell you, Chief, but every video game you've ever played was almost certainly made by

:liberals:

Weasel
Hint that coop is at least being considered...

6J9Kzwh.jpg

Kev Inkline

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
if this game does not come out before Mechwarrior 5, it will be doomed
What makes you think so? The same setting but different genre - I could easily see myself buying both (well I backed BT KS, so it's moot, but anyways), and I don't think I am the only one.

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Nine hours later and nobody has posted it yet, tsk tsk: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/webeharebrained/battletech/posts/1768032

Can You Say Melee? How About Merch? Anyone Want a Production Update?

Mitch here, back again with our final update of 2016. It’s a long one, so smoke ‘em if ya got ‘em....

Man, what a whirlwind of activity in our little studio! (Did you know we sit at 4’x2’ desks crammed up against each other all day?) The bees are buzzing up the hive but good, pushing hard to prepare for our Kickstarter Backer Beta next year. Expect news on that topic in a KS Update in early 2017. Today, we’ll go in-depth on a feature we’ve been teasing a looong time - melee! We’ll also give you some insight on everything we’ve been working on since we put out our Super-Pre-Alpha video in August. And HUZZAH! The official BattleTech Crowdfunded Merch site is officially open! Woo hoo! I want ALL THE THINGS!

Okay MechWarriors, let’s get to it!

Melee! Melee! Melee!
Hello! This is your friendly neighborhood Design Lead, Kiva Maginn, with some new information about how we’ve approached one of our most-anticipated game features: giant robots punching other giant robots in the face!

When we started working on melee, I proposed a single overarching goal: once you’re close enough to punch someone, punching should usually be the right thing to do (or at the very least, it shouldn’t ever be the wrong thing to do). There are a few reasons for this, mostly having to do with the speed and intensity of battles. When battles get in close, it’s not all that much fun to spin in circles around each other, trying to get a good back-shot but otherwise standing mostly in one place. I wanted the final stage of a battle, when ‘Mechs are in spitting distance of each other, to be brutal and decisive. Once you’re that close, the fight’s about to be over one way or another.

355d3a20f8406d789a25a11db638c7b3_original.gif

Sometimes, an Atlas punches your arm off.

One of the first decisions we had to make was: how many different melee attacks are there? On one hand, offering a wide variety of options makes the experience more involved; when you choose to “kick” and your results clearly reflect your choice, it feels like your decisions mattered. But on the other hand, the risk of offering a variety of choices is that some of those choices are always sub-optimal, and thus act as a trap, encouraging less-experienced players to make the wrong choice.

As well, the more time we spent on the weapons UI, the less we wanted to force a similar level of complexity into other parts of the game. It’s really important that you be able to pick and choose which weapons will fire and at which target, so we can’t really avoid that level of complexity. But melee attacks seemed to come down to a simple choice: do you punch, hoping for a head hit, or do you kick, hoping for a leg hit?

This dovetailed with another issue I wanted to address, which is the frequency of head hits. Generally, head hits are fun and interesting and provide an element of chaos and sudden reversals to battles, and I approve of that (Mitch says, “Watching McCain lose his Atlas in the Super-Pre-Alpha video was one of the great joys of my life.”) but it’s a lot different when the victim of the head shot is your prize MechWarrior, whom you’ve carefully guided through dozens of hours of gameplay. It’s interesting when a veteran MechWarrior dies; it’s less interesting when it happens abruptly, through no fault of yours, at the whim of a single random die-roll from a lucky punch.

6c5ef8e9e118c5b229b9ee91b4e548ae_original.gif

...and sometimes, it’s a swing and a miss. (Note that all the gifs in this update show the game in a work-in-progress state - for example, this untextured base and Kintaro!)

The third element that we considered is how melee looks. In an abstract system, we can just declare that a ‘Mech punches, kicks, shoulder-checks, or whatever seems appropriate. Even if it’s an Atlas punching a Commando, we can basically imagine how that would work. But in our game, we’ve committed to animating every single attack so that it looks like something that could hit and do damage. That means the Atlas has to kick a Commando; its punch will swing wildly over the Commando’s head.

Bringing these three concerns together -- complexity, head shots, and visual consistency -- we decided to collapse all melee actions down to just one, “Engage”. When you engage, we look at your relative size, your relative position above or below the target, whether you have arms suitable for punching, whether those arms are intact or blown off, and so forth. Then we pick an attack that best fits what you have available.

3823003a8709622c21985c4fa2a56cd4_original.gif

Even this mangled Hunchback can land a well-timed melee attack.

To ensure this isn’t unfair to some ‘Mechs, we also collapsed all the consequences of the attacks into one outcome. This means that, in terms of effect, a punch and a kick are the same thing, a shoulder check is the same as a punch, and so forth. Some ‘Mechs are still more powerful in melee than others due to both tonnage and design; the Atlas is always going to wreak more melee destruction than the Catapult. But every ‘Mech can melee, regardless of their build.

The system works like this: every ‘Mech has an “engagement range” at which it can move up and take a swing at an enemy. If you’re within the engagement range of a target when you start your action, that target gets a gold box around it to show that you can punch it. Then, as your entire action for the round, you move up and swing (or kick, or shoulder-check, or stomp).

2d71fc35bc7951cbaf3ba3c68dac6f3b_original.gif

That all said, the Commando is still at a serious disadvantage going up against the power and raw tonnage of an Atlas.

Which of the possible attacks you perform is based on your ‘Mech, your opponent’s ‘Mech, and your relative heights. If you’re standing on a hillside facing an Atlas whose head comes up to your waist, you’re going to kick the Atlas. If you’re driving a Catapult, you’ll kick or body-check, but never punch (you have no real arms!). If you engage a vehicle or a downed enemy, you’ll try to stomp them instead of kicking. The goal is to make sure that whatever your situation, the attack looks and feels like it solidly connected.

‘Mechs do melee damage based on their tonnage, and whether they’re particularly good at melee -- you can build your ‘Mech to be a punching machine by installing melee-focused actuator upgrades, and Jordan and I both still dream of one day getting the Hatchetman. In keeping with the goal of making close-range melee a decisive moment in battle, the damage is tuned to be quite large. After all, you’ve had to walk up under a hail of fire from every long-range and mid-range ‘Mech, survive all of that mostly intact, and then hit with an attack. Gambling all that on a single attack roll is risky, so we want to be sure you’re well-rewarded for doing so.

483e78fcac59c905895c9daff5c937bc_original.gif

That looks like it hurt!

Probably more important than the damage of a melee attack is the instability it inflicts. Melee is by far the easiest way to knock another ‘Mech down. Especially if you outweigh the target, you can put them on the ground with just one or two attacks, leaving them vulnerable to further attacks and forcing them to stand up on their action instead of moving. And, of course, when you fall down, if your MechWarrior fails her piloting roll, she’ll take an Injury. Enough knockdowns and an enemy pilot could end up as a red paste inside the cockpit.

We also wanted ‘Mechs to be able to use some of their weapons in melee, but that led to a problem: even as powerful as punching was, short-range, high-damage weapons like the AC/20 were the kings of melee. We wanted melee range combat to be for everyone, not just the Atlas and the King Crab. So when you punch, you don’t use all your weapons.

This turned out to be an excellent opportunity to address a part of the game I wasn’t satisfied with: the small weapons. Machine guns, small lasers and flamers are woefully underpowered, underused, and generally a poor choice when you’re customizing. Especially when melee is so powerful relative to other weapons, why would you ever fire your small laser at all?

So the small weapons are simply incorporated into your melee attack. If you have them, and you punch, you also fire any small weapons you have. For a good time, get in close with a Firestarter and punch the enemy. You’ll also blast them with four flamers worth of damage and heat, on top of the punch itself. It’s pretty great, and gives ‘Mechs with high tonnage and small weapons (looking at you, Battlemaster) a reason to have the small weapons: the punch rips off the target’s armor, and the MGs spew possible criticals into the structure.

b9d1110ce36d50019511e85d0d8d1cd1_original.gif

We made up a fake Shadow Hawk with Flamers just to try this out...

I’ve talked about how we rolled most of the melee actions together into one overall “Engage” action, but there’s one melee attack we kept separate. We knew from the start that we’d be including the Death From Above attack as a special and deliberate action. It’s too iconic a moment to not let you choose it yourself.

If your ‘Mech has jump jets, and you’re within the melee engagement range, you can jump and land on top of your target, smashing them to the ground. It’s powerful, does a ridiculous amount of damage, smashes your legs up something fierce, and it looks really damn cool.

In a recent fight, I DFAed an enemy with my Shadowhawk (and let me tell you, the SH is nothing to sneeze at when you use it as primarily a melee attacker). I landed as the enemy ‘Mech’s head and center torso both turned black. I’d basically ripped it in half with the DFA. Mission accomplished.

After several rounds of iteration (as always!), we're very happy with the state of melee in the game. It feels really satisfying to engage in, and ensures that the battles that make it to close quarters become bloody and decisive, rather than bogging down in frustration. We're excited for you to punch 'Mechs in the Kickstarter Beta next year!

Last edited:

anus_pounder

Arcane
Not bad. Too bad Vaarna's vision for Mech Combat will pretty much never be a reality in the Btard universe, but w/e, at this point I'll take what I can get. Also, can't go wrong with a game that allows you to side with House Liao.

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
the attacking mech should also take damage to the arm/leg with which it hits

agris

Arcane
Patron
One of the first decisions we had to make was: how many different melee attacks are there? On one hand, offering a wide variety of options makes the experience more involved; when you choose to “kick” and your results clearly reflect your choice, it feels like your decisions mattered. But on the other hand, the risk of offering a variety of choices is that some of those choices are always sub-optimal, and thus act as a trap, encouraging less-experienced players to make the wrong choice.

As well, the more time we spent on the weapons UI, the less we wanted to force a similar level of complexity into other parts of the game. It’s really important that you be able to pick and choose which weapons will fire and at which target, so we can’t really avoid that level of complexity. But melee attacks seemed to come down to a simple choice: do you punch, hoping for a head hit, or do you kick, hoping for a leg hit?

[...]

To ensure this isn’t unfair to some ‘Mechs, we also collapsed all the consequences of the attacks into one outcome. This means that, in terms of effect, a punch and a kick are the same thing, a shoulder check is the same as a punch, and so forth. Some ‘Mechs are still more powerful in melee than others due to both tonnage and design; the Atlas is always going to wreak more melee destruction than the Catapult. But every ‘Mech can melee, regardless of their build.

:negative:

Thus I wept.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom