Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter BattleTech Pre-Release Thread

Bohr

Arcane
Yes, it seems people are posting those clips from chat in various forums at the moment (there are lots more than those three, Kiva was on streams for hours talking pretty openly), guess it saves me going through Twitch to get the snapshots - wonder how many threads have already been nuked about the trans character in the fixed starting unit

Difficulty levels exist for a reason.

No difficulty levels in this game, that's one of the things we have been criticising

Cael

Arcane
Yes, it seems people are posting those clips from chat in various forums at the moment (there are lots more than those three, Kiva was on streams for hours talking pretty openly), guess it saves me going through Twitch to get the snapshots - wonder how many threads have already been nuked about the trans character in the fixed starting unit
I wonder how long that character lasts in a typical game, then. Unless, of course, Kevin made it into the uber-character that can take on entire garrison forces on his own without breaking a sweat.

Bohr

Arcane
Has the main account of the tranny dev on twitter been suspended?

Noticed a lot of the old links (like useful ones on building maps) were no longer working yesterday, turns out the main account was purged of a lot of posts and Kiva mentioned reposting some of the old stuff at some point as it had all been saved. There was also a locked-down account (@persenche) for the.. non game related stuff. Seemed to be clearing house before release, which seemed sensible as one would be reading posts about BT on the gamedev/HBS_Kiva account and suddenly there would be a series of posts about what it's like in women's restrooms or something.

Now it seems the main account is also locked "for safety till after launch".

Cael

Arcane
Has the main account of the tranny dev on twitter been suspended?

Noticed a lot of the old links (like useful ones on building maps) were no longer working yesterday, turns out the main account was purged of a lot of posts and Kiva mentioned reposting some of the old stuff at some point as it had all been saved. There was also a locked-down account (@persenche) for the.. non game related stuff. Seemed to be clearing house before release, which seemed sensible as one would be reading posts about BT on the gamedev/HBS_Kiva account and suddenly there would be a series of posts about what it's like in women's restrooms or something.

Now it seems the main account is also locked "for safety till after launch".
Hiding the evidence until the guppy attention span crowd moves on, eh?

Bohr

Arcane
Sorry, didn't end up having the strength to wade through hours of Twitch comments to get them all, but here are a few that have been posted in various places which shed a bit of light on how things were made easier after testing (and no, there don't appear to be any Dragonspear-style speeches from Glitch, for those hoping for 'drama')

NvkcotCp_o.png

Cael

Arcane
Sorry, didn't end up having the strength to wade through hours of Twitch comments to get them all, but here are a few that have been posted in various places which shed a bit of light on how things were made easier after testing (and no, there don't appear to be any Dragonspear-style speeches from Glitch, for those hoping for 'drama')

NvkcotCp_o.png
So, they are not appealing to the CBT fanbase, and they are not appealing to the gamergate consoletards. What, exactly, are they aiming for, then? The Puzzle Booble crowd?

Ezeekiel

Liturgist
Shame they didn't make infantry. Would be fun to crush under the foot.
Watching the streams I don't think they have the ability to make much more than is in the game right now, even if they wanted to.
It's got to be the SJW-team -curse. More ideology and ideas than hard skills and ability.

Bohr

Arcane
Anyone new to this game might find it useful to check out this 11m video before playing, excellent summary that gets to the point and includes a lot of little tips (eg: using multitarget and low% weapons to remove evasion) that take some new players a long while to think of.

Bohr

Arcane
Wait... so what's the starting lance now?

After the intro (special case) you start your merc career with Blackjack, Shadow Hawk, Vindicator, Spider - so a fair bit more durability and firepower, with the Shadow Hawk also a melee monster in this game

Last edited:

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
I think people have misunderstood two different things I've said about difficulty. I dunno if I can really clarify them to everyone's satisfaction, but I'll give it a go:

* I'm not personally a fan of a global difficulty setting, because I think a game should be able to teach players how to become competent and eventually skilled.

* I'm very much a fan of granular settings that modify specific elements of the gameplay. So, for instance, i'd like to let you control what happens when you assemble a chassis. That kind of micro-difficulty tweaking lets you make the game exactly what you want it to be. In my game, in the world where I already have those granular difficulty settings, I'd turn off the fully loaded chassis, because I'm not a fan. I like the 'blank canvas' feeling of a bare chassis.

* That said, more difficulty adjustments of the kind Tyler's already talked about, and I've alluded to, are on a *very large* wishlist, with the heading 'IN SUCCESS'. So while I'd love to expound on all my wacky difficulty-related ideas, the truth is that it's too early to speculate about what we are and aren't doing In Success.

I hope that clarifies my thoughts somewhat.

-kevin

--------------

Wanna know a secret?

I've watched hours and hours of Beagle playing XCOM. I watched every single episode of his XCOM 1 Long War Live and Impossible game.

There's a lot in BT that's inspired by his thoughts about XCOM. -
wet Kevin

http://itsalmo.st/#battletech

Last edited:

Cael

Arcane
I think people have misunderstood two different things I've said about difficulty. I dunno if I can really clarify them to everyone's satisfaction, but I'll give it a go:

* I'm not personally a fan of a global difficulty setting, because I think a game should be able to teach players how to become competent and eventually skilled.

* I'm very much a fan of granular settings that modify specific elements of the gameplay. So, for instance, i'd like to let you control what happens when you assemble a chassis. That kind of micro-difficulty tweaking lets you make the game exactly what you want it to be. In my game, in the world where I already have those granular difficulty settings, I'd turn off the fully loaded chassis, because I'm not a fan. I like the 'blank canvas' feeling of a bare chassis.

* That said, more difficulty adjustments of the kind Tyler's already talked about, and I've alluded to, are on a *very large* wishlist, with the heading 'IN SUCCESS'. So while I'd love to expound on all my wacky difficulty-related ideas, the truth is that it's too early to speculate about what we are and aren't doing In Success.

I hope that clarifies my thoughts somewhat.

-kevin

--------------

Wanna know a secret?

I've watched hours and hours of Beagle playing XCOM. I watched every single episode of his XCOM 1 Long War Live and Impossible game.

There's a lot in BT that's inspired by his thoughts about XCOM.
If the developer has a long wish list, it is not a finished game. Piss off and get it completed before pushing it out the door, you asshole.

As for XCom inspiring BTech, that would explain a lot of the stupidity we are seeing and the wholesale changes in lore and stupid comments by HBS. They are not making BTech. They are making XCom, complete with FTL and probably dimensional travel in the near future. The BTech thing is just for marketing purposes.

Serious_Business

Best Poster on the Codex
Wondering about this one. Don't trust the Codex's opinion on TB games with the shit you stupid fucks pulled on BB. I assume we're all going to have to become emotional because some guy is pretending to be a girl in the dev team.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom