Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News BattleTech Released

Mark Richard

Arcane
We'll have to wait until some codexers play it to the end and see if Battletech offers multiple endings.

Pretty sure it doesn't: http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...-discussion-thread.106230/page-3#post-5455081
How could it? BattleTech begins with the ending. The first cutscene shows the high lady sitting the throne, recounting events in past tense as she touches on the player's ambiguous motives. The game immediately kills the possibility, perhaps realising the expectation for multiple endings might lead some players to feel misled upon reaching the end of their first playthrough.

Black

Arcane
Pretty sure MW4 mercs had multiple endings.
Besides, you couldn't have possibly thought that HBS would let you go against their super strong female (?) character who constantly looks like she has a chip on each shoulder :lol:

Septaryeth

Augur
Pretty sure MW4 mercs had multiple endings.
Besides, you couldn't have possibly thought that HBS would let you go against their super strong female (?) character who constantly looks like she has a chip on each shoulder :lol:

They did let me killed two such strong female characters, and threw my orphan(and an orc to boot)-raising Asian foster-dad into the bottomless pit of demonic torment. :shittydog:

How could it? BattleTech begins with the ending. The first cutscene shows the high lady sitting the throne, recounting events in past tense as she touches on the player's ambiguous motives. The game immediately kills the possibility, perhaps realising the expectation for multiple endings might lead some players to feel misled upon reaching the end of their first playthrough.

That's a shame. They did got my interest with the story trailer.
Guess I'll have to grab it when it's on sales then, if it ever get patched to a playable state that is.

Last edited:

Zurat-Yarkuch

Savant

I really hate stories that begin with the ending and do a recap of past events. If they didn't do that they could have at least set up the possibility of maybe the noble failing despite your aide or getting betrayed by you and add some extra tension for the player watching the story unfold.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Why is everything slow in this game? The menus, the loading screens, the animations, the combat, the turns.

Just clicking from one pilot to the next in the barracks menu takes an eternity, same thing between ship menus.

This is by far the most unoptimized piece of unity shit that i have ever played.

Silva

Arcane
Are Light mechs useful? Aka does Recon, initiative, ECM, terrain maneuvers, etc. matter in this game, or its just throwing mechs on each other until one explodes?

SniperHF

Arcane
Are Light mechs useful? Aka does Recon, initiative, ECM, terrain maneuvers, etc. matter in this game, or its just throwing mechs on each other until one explodes?

One of those (totally unexplained and unaccounted for in the interface) mechanics in the game is that melee damage gets a bonus against vehicles. So if it's early in the game and you need to field some light mechs, don't be afraid to get in the shit with their early sequence and smack some vehicles around.

Also firestarters wreck (on the heavier side of lights). The jump jets go hilariously far, you can go right behind other mechs and blast their weak spots. It's too bad the AI is too incompetent at using them against you. If the AI has a firestarter they'll spend half the mission jumping around aimlessly shooting their only longer range weapon (medium Laser) against you doing nothing.

Another use for lights is their earlier sequence and using that to put sensor locks on for your mediums + to shoot at targets with indirect fire.

jungl

Augur
From what I played so far I think this worse then the shadow run games and waaay worse then the old mechwarrior games on pc. Strategic elements way too basic. I'm someone that loves mech games and this barely above shovelware if you ask me. You can find obscure mech games that no one played that are mediocre but lot more entertaining then battletech. like zoids assault

https://youtu.be/cla-KVYvdtc

Black

Arcane
A question to those who enjoy this game- at the beginning of the game you choose your character's background.
Does it do anything except give you a few bonuses?

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
ehhhhh, made it through a whole battle, 8 on 4, mechs in fairly good shape, enemies all dead except one. Last guy takes salvos from the whole team, crits galore, limbs shot off, no weapons, but still somehow doesn't die. On his turn he rushes the MC mech, kicks it and fucking blows it up.

:x:x:x

I think I have a quicksave from way earlier in the mission but I just don't want to sit through all that again. Blech.

Bruma Hobo

Lurker
ehhhhh, made it through a whole battle, 8 on 4, mechs in fairly good shape, enemies all dead except one. Last guy takes salvos from the whole team, crits galore, limbs shot off, no weapons, but still somehow doesn't die. On his turn he rushes the MC mech, kicks it and fucking blows it up.

:x:x:x

I think I have a quicksave from way earlier in the mission but I just don't want to sit through all that again. Blech.
Sounds like fun.

I do understand the anti-SJW backlash, the whole mainstream media will praise to heavens every fucking left-leaning game no matter how mediocre they really are by themselves, sometimes ignoring these titles is the correct choice even if they do look promising... But I'm also getting tired of this bullshit, I just want to read unbiased opinions about the fucking games, not about politics.

Darkzone

Arcane
Right i came here to check on some interesting builds people had or mechs they found but i guess everyone was so triggered by the pronoun option you forgot there is actually a game past character creation.
The build depends on the role in the lance, but currently my lance looks rather quite unusual for traditional BT game.
2x Dragon: 2x10 LRM, 2xSL, 2xFlamer + Enhanced Arm Actuators for +40 melee damage.
Shadowhawk: 3xML, 1x15LRM + Stronger Leg Actuators (half damage on DFA).
Hunchback: 20 AC + 2ML.

Even in the future where we have Swarms of Rockets, LASER and Plasma weapons, the best solution is to gang up upon a victim and jump him and then punch him till he is lying on the floor and then kick him in the nuts or shoot him with the 20 AC in the face. What a glorious future.

Inf0mercial

Augur
Right i came here to check on some interesting builds people had or mechs they found but i guess everyone was so triggered by the pronoun option you forgot there is actually a game past character creation.
The build depends on the role in the lance, but currently my lance looks rather quite unusual for traditional BT game.
2x Dragon: 2x10 LRM, 2xSL, 2xFlamer + Enhanced Arm Actuators for +40 melee damage.
Shadowhawk: 3xML, 1x15LRM + Stronger Leg Actuators (half damage on DFA).
Hunchback: 20 AC + 2ML.

Even in the future where we have Swarms of Rockets, LASER and Plasma weapons, the best solution is to gang up upon a victim and jump him and then punch him till he is lying on the floor and then kick him in the nuts or shoot him with the 20 AC in the face. What a glorious future.

I found dragons a disappointment, atm i'm using a Highlander Gauss Rifle and 2 PPC's with a metric ton of heat sinks i can call shot core most medium mechs in the game and fuck up heavy ones.

As well as dragon with 2 6 SRM's i might be swapping for a Quickdraw with the same, then a Jagermech with 2 LRM15's and a thunderbolt with a bunch of Medium and small lasers and some SRM's.

I have a Range booster on the Highlander nothing like shattering mechs one after another from max range.

But yes if there is one mech left, simply getting him in a huddle and kicking the shit out of them tends to work, i can imagine if i bothered to simply spam missiles LRM and buffed tactics i could have every single opponent perm fallen down, but that seems a bit cheesy.

gaussgunner

Arcane
I do understand the anti-SJW backlash, the whole mainstream media will praise to heavens every fucking left-leaning game no matter how mediocre they really are by themselves, sometimes ignoring these titles is the correct choice even if they do look promising... But I'm also getting tired of this bullshit, I just want to read unbiased opinions about the fucking games, not about politics.

Unbiased opinions? That's an oxymoron. I think I know what you mean, though....

If you think Codex is harsh you should see the GOG reviews. 1 or 2 stars from almost everyone who took the time to write a review.

Inf0mercial

Augur
A question to those who enjoy this game- at the beginning of the game you choose your character's background.
Does it do anything except give you a few bonuses?
???

So far its all flavor text, like some responses are gated behind background choices but as far as i can tell besides some replies for those options its all simple dialogue choices with no real mechanical effects besides the buffs you get from the background choices.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
You know what really baffles me?

The fantasy soundtrack in a scifi game.

While not bad per se, the music in this game constantly makes me expect an orc assault.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom