Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Battlezone 98 Redux -Released

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
Couldn't find this posted.
http://www.rebellion.co.uk/blog/2015/6/29/an-open-letter-to-battlezone-fans

An open letter to Battlezone fans
29 June 2015 by Robbie Cooke

GNu-XL0O.png

Dear Battlezone fans

Firstly, thank you so much for all the great feedback we’ve received following the unveiling of our Battlezone reboot for virtual reality devices.

Having to keep quiet about something we’re crazy excited for has been a challenge, so to finally showcase it at E3 and see so many people just as excited for the game was really gratifying.

As our teaser trailer revealed, our VR version of Battlezone is very much a reboot of Atari’s 1980 arcade classic, a game we’re very fond of at Rebellion. However, we also know that a number of you are fans of the 1998 and 1999 Battlezone games released by Activision that re-imagined the franchise as a groundbreaking hybrid of FPS and RTS gameplay. Naturally when we made our announcement last week some of you asked, “But what about the newer Battlezone games? What are you doing with them?”

Well, we’ve read your comments, articles, emails and posts and we’ve seen your love for these games – so we wanted to make another brief announcement:

We’re very pleased to reveal that we’re also working on a remaster of the 1998 Battlezone for PC.

It’s still early days but when we’re ready to show you more you’ll be the first to know. All we can say for now is that whichever vision of Battlezone you love, you’ve not been forgotten!

Thanks for reading

The Rebellion team

Last edited:

Dayyālu

Arcane
If there are Gods on this Earth, and they are merciful, this will turn out borderline playable

Please don't suck

Please

BZ1998 is a small gem dear to my broken soul, with excellent MP and great interface, plus Space Russians

Jack Dandy

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Holy fucking damn! And here I thought they completely forgot about that 90's series.

The first Battlezone was fucking awesome, I just loved it. Atmospheric as fuck, and piloting the hovertanks was damn fun.

I never really got into the 2nd one for some reason.. Guess I should do that sometime.

In any case, these news are great.

Perkel

Arcane
kickstarter inconoming for mmoish tank battle game....

Last edited:

garren

Arcane
Patron
Huh, I thought the rights to battlezone were in some unattainable limbo, nice to see someone doing something with em. The 1998 one is a hidden gem imo.

Too bad you can already get the patched game for free from the internets :)

Perkel

Arcane
Huh, I thought the rights to battlezone were in some unattainable limbo, nice to see someone doing something with em. The 1998 one is a hidden gem imo.

Too bad you can already get the patched game for free from the internets :)

To be fair i don't follow why they even wanted to get that IP.

Most of people will be like " I have already battlefield..."

Gozma

Arcane
Huh, never knew about the 1998 remake. The original Battlezone was kept around in arcades for an incredibly long time after it was new because it had the novelty twin stick tank controls that still drained quarters from kids. And wireframes still looked kinda cool even after they were technically stone age.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Battlezone 98 Redux remasters the strategy classic for modern online play
Battlezone, the late 90s FPS/RTS hybrid where you play as a big tank, was not only massively ahead of its time and actually quite good, but well worth a remake according to Rebellion. They're doing exactly that, prettying it up for a 2016 night on the town, getting it connected online via Steam and letting us tinker to our tank-heart's content by the workshop.

The remaster is hitting in Spring, so shouldn't be too much of a wait.
http://www.pcgamesn.com/battlezone-...s-the-strategy-classic-for-modern-online-play
game_bg_BattleZone98_Announcement.jpg

EDIT
well shit, there is another remaster. This time - original Atari game into modern consoles

Nothing to see here

Last edited:

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
Nice use of simple retro-style 3D graphics to compensate for the PS4 not being able to handle modern graphics at FPS rates suitable for VR.

Dayyālu

Arcane
Out now on Steam:
http://store.steampowered.com/app/301650/

They upped the graphics at least, hope they didn't mess up the atmosphere.

Bought.

It's the 1998 version, patched with the 1.5 "fan" patch (the result of the work of one of the original developers) and with spiffier graphics.

Pros:

+ Spiffier graphics. I love the new pilots. They are *cute* as hell.
+ Everything works, bar some bugs. Still have to try the campaign in depth.

Cons

+ Tons of features removed;
+ Shit graphic options;
+ Workshop integration is bad (seriously, people can stand to install mods on Steam THAT WAY?);
+ Seems to work fine, but I have some reports of graphical problems and crashes.
+ It's heavy for a 15 years old game built on a 20 years old engine.
+ NO RED ODISSEY, SO NO CHINESE OR BLACK DOGS. NO CHINESE!

Not worth 15 bucks, truth be told.

Dayyālu

Arcane
Tons of features removed
Like what?

FPS counter.
Can't install easily maps.
Custom mapmaking seems to be a mess now.
Graphical options are barebones.
The in-built fan map pack is absent.
Two factions out of four (Chinese and Black Dogs) are just gone, and I doubt we will see them again.

I hope Rebellion will work on this, but at the moment it's an inferior version of the 1.5 Bz1998 version with a graphic mod on top. I would feel scammed, but I enjoyed the pirated 1.5 version for years, so it's pretty much a "had to get it" buy.

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
http://www.gamewatcher.com/news/201...masters-battlezone-98-redux-releases-on-steam

"We're thrilled to be bringing an IP as iconic as Battlezone back into contemporary gaming, starting today with Battlezone 98 Redux." said Rebellion CEO & Co-founder Jason Kingsley. "We're also delighted to reveal we have more Redux games in the pipeline. We are blessed with a vast library of games and properties, and we are well aware fans are keen for us to give some of our other games the remaster treatment."

What IPs do they have?

Also can a mod change the thread title to something like "Battlezone 98 Redux released"?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom