Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Battlezone 98 Redux -Released

Dayyālu

Arcane
What's with companies releasing remasters of old hits stripped of content? HoMM III, Homeworld, now this. Not much point to it, is there.

Cheap money for already done work? Think SSPortable.

The point is easy. Bz1998 was kept alive by a somewhat small yet friendly community (and by a dev that kept churning out patches) for 15 years, someone got the IP and thought that they could get some cash by getting in a graphics mod and rebranding it.

It's still *fun* like the original, but I would have preferred the Red Odissey campaign IN (it's a mess to find it and run it properly nowadays, now that they nuked the fan downloads) and the extra factions. Probably it's the same thing we got with Cataclysm: they simply do not have the original files anymore.

Truth be told, without the free downloads from the fansites I don't see this living more than 5-6 months. Fresh blood was all that kept alive such a niche game, and if this does not become bundle fodder fast (1-2 months) it will kill the community easily.

Dayyālu Is steam workshop ever good for anything?

Yeh, it's shit, but I never had to use it. People even thought of paying for mods with such a interface? :lol::lol::lol:

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
I get the general point, I don't understand how they can't even get all the content in (usually using some lame excuses) and release vanilla games without add-ons and improvements charging serious money for them. Seems extremely pointless, since all of these games have little to no problems running on modern systems and often offer graphical improvements through mods.

Dayyālu

Arcane
I get the general point, I don't understand how they can't even get all the content in (usually using some lame excuses) and release vanilla games without add-ons and improvements charging serious money for them. Seems extremely pointless, since all of these games have little to no problems running on modern systems and often offer graphical improvements through mods.

What amazes me for this remake that some serious work went on the most useless side of things (graphics). I mean, they are pretty in a "'90' games butchered by HD texture mod" way, but someone worked a bit on that. Sure, this means that instead of a hyper-responsive game I have a somewhat laggy and choppy mess, and I can't wait for a downgrade mod to install the original models or someone to break open the graphical options.

Plus, now you can't get the original from any other place bar for piracy.

:deadhorse:

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
Fuck, I didn't remember this game being so hard. 4 attempts on the first mission have ended in embarrasing failures.
:0-13:
I'm going to try again tomorrow and hope I've gotten my mojo back.

Dayyālu

Arcane
Badass. Never did play the expansion when it was new, will pick it up soon!

Be careful. It's widely considered to be hard as fuck. The Chinese campaign in particular is an endless Odyssey of pain.

I'm kinda sad that the re-release killed the MP scene, though. The lobbies of the remaster are dead and now, with the end of the free distribution, the old ones are dying.

A pity.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
:necro:

Remaster of Battlezone 2 is coming next year:

ss_464bca8f9f954ca416071d0d66948e7bd4f5e54b.600x338.jpg

Once arch enemies, the US and Russia abandon their space race and unite their forces in the face of impending alien attack. Combining to form the elite International Space Defence Force, they recruit you to help lead resistance, before total devastation is unleashed on the human race.

The solar system is at war. Take command.

Battlezone: Combat Commander is back, and looking better than ever with slicker visuals, brand new achievements, Steam Workshop support and more!

Fight across 24 intense missions, over 6 exotic living worlds, scavenging the battlefield for crucial bio-metal used to create powerful units, towering defenses, and vital facilities.

COMMAND A BATTALION
Control of over 30 unique unit types, from lethal tanks and tough ground units, to towering walkers and relentless air-support, and face off against the enemy in intense first-person combat.

ADVANCED AI
Units learn and improve as they gain combat experience - new units fight like recruits, while experienced units are a lot more effective in combat, using strafing manoeuvres, choosing weapons to suit the situation, or even retreating when necessary.

REMASTERED VISUALS
Experience Battlezone: Combat Commander like never before, with an all new DX11 renderer, shader based rendering, and a completely retextured and upscaled terrain.

GO HEAD TO HEAD
Invite your friends for a cross-play multiplayer experience, including the classic Deathmatch mode, and a co-operative mode ‘MPI’ where players must work together to win by managing their offence, defence, and scrap collection.

MOD SUPPORT
Enjoy unique community generated content with support for mods, such as new singleplayer and multiplayer map mods, new vehicles, HUDs, assets, custom scripts and much more.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom