Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Beamdog announce Neverwinter Nights: Enhanced Edition

Bumvelcrow

Somewhat interesting
Patron
Dumbfuck
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Strap Yourselves In
Against the consensus, I liked NWN1, when I eventually bought it with the expansions and before NWN2 was released. I remember the build-up being that it was essentially a multi-player sandbox game for modders and DMs so my expectations for anything resembling a single-player campaign with a plot were practically zero. I had some fun with it and completed the OC and both expansions, which is more than can be said for some games.

Of course, since I already own the diamond edition on GoG I shall not be giving them a penny. I might be tempted to throw some money at them for a semi-competent original game using a modern version of the infinity engine, but certainly not for low effort crap like this. Actually, I've just talked myself out of giving them any money, remembering how they took down the cheap original IE games and replaced them with their overpriced modded versions.

CWagner

Augur
I was hyped for a second. Then I watched the trailer. It looks worse than the original? Also, there are still community patch versions coming out, will those be scrapped if the original gets pulled from GoG?

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
This is like utterly pointless, other than just for a money grab.

Good luck with that, I literally have no interest at all in NWN.

Jezal_k23

At this point, they come across as grasping at straws with these nonstop EEs, especially now, after how their first major attempt at original content turned out. It's honestly kinda sad to watch right now.

baud

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Maybe I'm crazy but NWN, with its combination of thin story and characterization, non-open-world design, and non-persistent multiplayer seems extremely ill-suited to the current market.

Since they are going for a minimal effort, like recompile the binaries to target modern OS and adding the Steam overlay, they won't need to sell many copies to make money.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
It's not all bad.

"(Pirates of the Sword Coast, Infinite Dungeons, and Wyvern Crown of Cormyr)"

People have been agitating for GOG to add those to the Diamond edition for years.

MurkyShadow

Glittering gem of hatred
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong BattleTech Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. I helped put crap in Monomyth
I remember when Neverwinter Nights released. It was around the time our AD&D 2nd edition Pen & Paper group
dissolved. One of the members of said group got Neverwinter Nights and was overjoyed with excitement. Poor sod
wanted to share it with me. I was looking at the game, listening to him describing it and feeling nothing. It just
didn't do anything for me. I'd rather replay Curse of the Azure Bonds or the first Pool of Radiance.

Zeriel

Arcane
Maybe I'm crazy but NWN, with its combination of thin story and characterization, non-open-world design, and non-persistent multiplayer seems extremely ill-suited to the current market.

Since they are going for a minimal effort, like recompile the binaries to target modern OS and adding the Steam overlay, they won't need to sell many copies to make money.

This is all they ever do. Repackage the work of other people and charge money for it. Actual parasites.

imweasel

They might as well just call it Neverwinter Nights: Steam Edition because that is exactly what it is. Beamdog didn't enhance jack shit.

I think it is great that the game is coming to steam, but don't fucking lie and say it is an "enhanced edition" when absolutely nothing has actually even been enhanced.

Tonne

Novice
Awesome! I can't wait to pay 20 dollars for cut content, and to give my money to a developer that works really hard in delivering original content.

Mei Scarlet

Novice
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
Neverwinter is still great, what is there to enhance? Didn't see any enhancing in the trailer anyway. And I think that the age of NWN kinda slowly passed away, I can't even remember when was the last time I played it though I was a huge fan in the days when it released.
Also the game runs with no problems at modern systems, didn't have any problems aside of some graphical glitches (water) sometimes.

Barbarian

Arcane
Think about it:
Step 1 - recycle mods and make quick patches to run old games in modern systems
Step 2 - call it "enhanced edition"
Step 3 - cal yourself a developer even though you are uncapable of actually developing a game and work less than most modders
Step 4 - profit !$!$!$!$!

I got to hand it to (((Oster))), he is getting more money than many competent indie developers without doing a fraction of their work. Strong jewery at work.

DeepOcean

Arcane
Okay, lets think a little:
1 - Beamdog must have access to the source code of Neverwinter Nights
2 - This means that if they weren't lazy, they could fix stuff that modders can't.
3 - This means they could introduce support for a fully 6 person party control and make this game play better than a really awkward action RPG. At least mods could make some use of it.
4 - They didn't bother with the only useful thing they could enhance on the game.
5 - Why do they want my money again?

Au Ellai

Educated
Strange decision, NWN is an amazing game platform, but the original official modules are pretty terrible compared to what the mod scene was making, so if they're planning on essentially remaking the module platform aspect and UI, that would be awesome, but spending a ton of dev work on the NWN modules? Kind of a waste of time. At least this new version is supporting all the old modules, so if anything it'll be nice to have an updated platform with better graphics/ui. Hopefully the bulk of their focus is providing whatever would be the most useful to the mod scene, provided it's still active. Haven't played any NWN modules in quite a few years.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
If they were smart they would have done real 'enhancements' like dding WNN2 spells, skills, feats, and classes, throw in more paryt control. And, you know actually make a campaign themselves to sell since that is basically a good part of NWN but no... they give all this shit.

FUKK THAT BULLSHITZ.

Taluntain

Most Frabjous
Staff Member
Interesting intro here: https://neverwintervault.org/ee-reveal/

Honestly though, the modding scene mostly died along with the original NWVault. I'm sure there are still hundreds of more or less interested modders, but NWN is so long past its prime that it's anyone's guess how many actual players that'll look beyond the official content are still out there.

Also Beamdog, your page title at http://nwn.beamdog.com/ is saying "Neverwinter Nights Diamond Edition".

Nazrim Eldrak

Scholar
This is...it?! I hoped for an another own made IE game or at least an expansion.
I watched the stupid twitch stream nearly for an hour but couldn`t identify the EE in it.

If they go the way they have gone once in the past then that could mean:
1. Release EE
2. Release all expansions
3. Make an own game in that universe

The third part could be easy with NWN modules.

Resume:
I think this anouncement is just
:retarded:
They could handled it better, but I bet it will keep them alive....at least for a while.

Q

Augur
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2
IF they redone models and tiles and fx...
And even maybe bought best user modules, and sell them (with new graphics)...
But it seems they just doing a patch with a Beamdog logo to the game. WTF. Guys. WTF.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom