Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Company News Beamdog might be working on a new Planescape game

Crescent Hawk

Cipher
Oh poor Gaider. If your ego can be "harassed" out of a place like this, you have zero spine. And hair.

It will be interesting to see what comes out of this, if anything at all.

Kev Inkline

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I mean, Planescape setting have very huge amount of planes and it's very nice, but last time when I was checked - every plane described in VERY short amount of words for such rich setting.

Lately, the lack of words has not been the major problem in the recent crpgs that have connection to the Torment franchise.

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I mean, Planescape setting have very huge amount of planes and it's very nice, but last time when I was checked - every plane described in VERY short amount of words for such rich setting.

Lately, the lack of words has not been the major problem in the recent crpgs that have connection to the Torment franchise.

Eh, the problem with TTON was less that it was too wordy and more that there was barely any gameplay (and what gameplay it did have was tedious). It would have been far better if they’d just kept the uninspiring RTwP system from the original. The near total lack of combat really messed up the pacing. 35 hours of reading would’ve been a lot more tolerable if it had been interspersed with at least 10 hours of fighting. But I doubt Gaider/BeamDog (GaiDog?) will have that problem.

More mainstream coverage: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-11-14-beamdog-new-planescape-torment-unravel

Beamdog may be making a new Planescape: Torment RPG
New clues to Unravel.

Is Beamdog making a new Planescape: Torment game? Not an Enhanced Edition, as the small Canadian studio has done for Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale and even Planescape: Torment, but an actual new game. A few new clues suggest so.

The clues come from a short documentary about Beamdog made by Canadian initiative Storyhive, which supports local creative work. In the documentary (spotted by Gamebanshee) is footage of Beamdog developers at work, and it's in this we see an artist's screen and on it, the clues.

The picture on the screen shows concept art for characters belonging to the "Fated" faction. "Fated" is written as the heading on the picture and "faction_Fated_thumbs" is the name of the file.

jpg

There, in the top-left of the screen.

Fated are a faction in Planescape: Torment who believe if you have the power to take something, you can, which is why they're also known as the Heartless and the Takers.

But even more compelling is the name of the folder - and presumably the name of the project - the file belongs to: "Planescape: Unraveled", a name we've never heard before. Could it also be a play on words and have something to do with the infamous Ravel Puzzlewell from Planescape: Torment?

A Beamdog artist, Amy Cornelson, provided another possible clue in her ArtStation portfolio. Among more character sketches were those for Golden Lords Townsfolk, which could refer to the influential Golden Lords of Sigil, the central city and beating heart of Planescape.

We know there's something new and original in the works at Beamdog. Nothing has been formally announced but Beamdog has talked loosely about the future in interviews. "We're also going to be developing our own projects and brands. For now I can't reveal anything, but going forward you'll see both great licensed and original IP projects from Beamdog," Beamdog lead designer Phillip Daigle told RPGamer in March 2016 (via a useful "All you wanted to know about the next Beamdog project" hub thread on the Beamdog forum).

Remember, veteran BioWare writer David Gaider joined Beamdog last year too, citing the company's "exciting plans" among his reasons for being there. With the studio's first original work, an expansion for Baldur's Gate titled Siege of Dragonspear, as well as the Enhanced Edition of Planescape: Torment both released last year and therefore now out of the way, Beamdog's decks have been clear to work on something new. Could Planescape: Unravel be it?

Note: Brian Fargo's inXile studio owns the "Torment" trademark and used it to make Torment: Tides of Numenera, a thematic successor to Planescape: Torment, released earlier this year. It might explain why "Torment" is absent from the title "Planescape: Unravel".

Should Beamdog be making a new Planescape: Torment-related game, the for-hire talents of Chris Avellone will presumably be of particular allure, what with Avellone having been the lead designer of PST. Avellone even popped up on Twitter overnight to teasingly comment on the news, remarking, "Updated my journal."

Whatever Beamdog is planning, Planescape: Torment will be a dauntingly hard act to follow. It remains for many the absolute pinnacle of how deep a computer role-playing game can go.

CTRL-F "Codex" -> 0 results :killit:

In the cited Gamebanshee article there is no mention of a Codex so we should point our fingers at those losers.
It's how original sources get lost. One person in a chain of copying the news forgets to mention the source and then the next person in a chain also does not mention it. Or maybe it is a deliberate tactic to pretend to be the sources and take Internet traffic?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
In the cited Gamebanshee article there is no mention of a Codex so we should point our fingers at those losers.
It's how original sources get lost. One person in a chain of copying the news forgets to mention the source and then the next person in a chain also does not mention it. Or maybe it is a deliberate tactic to pretend to be the sources and take Internet traffic?

The GameBanshee article preceded ours. It's how I found the documentary episode in the first place. But they didn't spot (or didn't think it was worth mentioning) the Planescape stuff.

The GameBanshee article preceded ours. It's how I found the documentary episode in the first place. But they didn't spot (or didn't think it was worth mentioning) the Planescape stuff.

That's right. Didn't read it just CTRL-Fed for "Codex" and found Lhynn fighting the good fight there:salute:

aris

Arcane
The Fated, AKA the Takers, are of course one of Planescape's famous factions, a society of Nietzschean Social Darwinists who serve as the tax collectors of Sigil.
Ah the Fated, you mean the post modern, neo marxist, communist, political correct tax collector types?

Prime Junta

That's right. Didn't read it just CTRL-Fed for "Codex" and found Lhynn fighting the good fight there:salute:

The Codex's reputation on the general Internet is in good hands then. :salute:

Kev Inkline

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

The Codex's reputation on the general Internet is in good hands then. :salute:
He might be retard, but he's our retard
love.png

Kev Inkline

Arcane
Patron

Eh, the problem with TTON was less that it was too wordy and more that there was barely any gameplay (and what gameplay it did have was tedious). It would have been far better if they’d just kept the uninspiring RTwP system from the original. The near total lack of combat really messed up the pacing. 35 hours of reading would’ve been a lot more tolerable if it had been interspersed with at least 10 hours of fighting. But I doubt Gaider/BeamDog (GaiDog?) will have that problem.
Hey, tbf, I didn't say the problem was that TTON was verbose, I just said that the problem with it was not that it had too few words, in particular.

Farewell into the night

TTON was a huge underdeliver and I'm not a fan of Beamdog's editions, but IF they manage to make a pure (anitbulshit), well thought, visionary and unique piece of art and entertainment that is not a parasite nor a shadow off original Planescape: Torment , then I'll accept that. I want to believe.

Father Foreskin

Learned
Properly shit games are almost as rare as good games. Bad games are common but rarely you run into descent to undermountain or oblivion. This thing has the makings of fucking bad game.

Take the "lead writer" Gaider for example. Must be one spinchter clenching script on this game. He isnt a fucking writer. Just because some C++ or Excel warrior decides hes a fantasy writer doesnt make him one. And run he did.

The programmers and artists are bottom-barrel modders who were never hired by real studios. If you look at all the "enhancing" they have done, its mostly just fucking up the UI. Finally you have the shitty political motivations stuck in. The end boss is probably Trump.

Kruno

Arcane
Patron
Village Idiot Zionist Agent Shitposter
Imagine if the game turns out to be the best game since lions eating Christians? Since Intel and AMD came together, I don't suppose Hell can't freeze over.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Imagine if the game turns out to be the best game since lions eating Christians? Since Intel and AMD came together, I don't suppose Hell can't freeze over.
Imagining that would crash the internet.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom