Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate: Siege of Dragonspear Pre-Release Thread

Kem0sabe

Arcane
The thing is, they are self deluded to the point of thinking that they are doing this great work in developing the baldurs gate brand... While fucking it up all the way with bugs, bad art and bad writing

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
You will conquer the world as the bhaalspawn ofcourse, duh.

Blackguard

Learned
I really don't want to see Beamdog making BG3, but in FR universe becoming a god isn't that huge a deal. Especially such a weak god you be at the start of BG3. I'd really like to see Ziets' BG3.

Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I still wonder what there is to continue? ToB concluded the saga and there isn't much left to do. Knowing so much of the plot a prequel won't be very good.

One of the possibilities for BG3 that Beamdog's mentioned was that it could be a whole new story line, no link to the Bhaal spawn saga.

They should just make something new and exciting.

Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Then why call it Baldur's Gate 3?

Name recognition... The obvious answer. Ever heard of the Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance name?

Why remaster the BG games in the first place? Because they were hugely popular when they were released, and still are to this day. Perfect for a small amateur start-up to get a foothold in the industry.

Outlander

Custom Tags Are For Fags.
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Do you really even need to ask?

Uh, it was actually a rhetorical question, it's obvious they want to milk that cow to the last drop, even if their game is pure shit and doesn't have anything to do at all with the Bhaal spawn saga.

I just wanted some of the resident retarded Beamdog apologists to come over and try to justify it.

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
http://www.edmontonjournal.com/business/Edmonton Beamdog hopes stand with Baldur Gate game/10858569/story.html

Edmonton’s Beamdog hopes to stand on its own with new Baldur’s Gate game

EDMONTON - The pressure is on for video game startup Beamdog, which will soon release its first original title.

It has set its sights high by taking over the beloved Baldur’s Gate franchise from fellow Edmonton developer BioWare. It will be the third game in the series of fantasy role-playing games and the first in more than a decade.

“We’ve gone into the chrysalis. We either come out a butterfly or we fall into the ground as an ugly caterpillar and continue on,” says president Trent Oster, who earned his chops as a BioWare co-founder.

With offices on Gateway Boulevard just south of Whyte Avenue, where Oster says he thrives off of the energy, Beamdog has grown since 2009 from two people to 19.

Dubbed “Adventure Y,” the new game, which is still under development, is not a full-fledged Baldur’s Gate sequel. Instead, the story will centre on what occurs between the first two games.

Fans have continued to show a rabid appetite for the series despite its age.

To meet demand, Beamdog has remastered and re-released the original Baldur’s Gate games that first hit stores more than 15 years ago.

The series takes place in the world of Dungeons and Dragons. It features branching storylines and tactical combat systems.

“We took a game that people loved and that people were still talking about 10, 12 years after it shipped, and we looked at why the fans loved it and we preserved it, almost like a museum curator,” Oster said.

Beamdog improved the graphics, fixed a litany of bugs and added new content to the series. It also brought the games to iPhone and iPad, as well as Android platforms.

Hundreds of thousands of copies of the games have been sold.

That is small compared to large releases such as Call of Duty, but for a small independent company like Beamdog, it has given them some financial breathing room.

“We’re hitting that stage where we transition from a startup company to an actual valid, ongoing entity,” Oster said.

Even so, Beamdog’s path has been bumpy at times.

Oster, and fellow BioWare alumnus Cameron Tofer, started the company as an online video game store, but were unable to compete with established brands like the wildly popular Steam store.

Their remake of the first Baldur’s Gate in 2012 was criticized for being full of bugs. Oster said the game was released before it was ready because of contractual obligations to Atari, the gaming pioneer, which controlled the rights to the series at the time.

“We let a publisher tell us the ship date. That’s just something we don’t do anymore,” he said.

The game was pulled from online stores for about four months in 2013 over a legal dispute with Atari.

Oster hopes the new Adventure Y will be successful enough to give Beamdog the freedom to build its own legacy.

“To me that’s the last check mark of yes, we can stand on our own two feet. Yes we can create our own content and its good, and fans will enjoy it.”

There's also a video.

Blackguard

Learned
Oster calling them "museum curators"... Now I'm not as whiney as some people here are about every little change, but dumping BG2 kits and spells into IWDEE especially was just plain stupid. Also considering how bad their own writing has been this game will be worth playing just to laugh at whatever stupid shit they come up with.

Ramireza

Savant
Loved the Video!

Trent is a great guy, i love the EE Versions and the new NPC like Dorn or Neera are much better then Viconia or Edwin for example!

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Dubbed “Adventure Y,” the new game, which is still under development, is not a full-fledged Baldur’s Gate sequel. Instead, the story will centre on what occurs between the first two games.

I am dumbfounded.. so many questions..
So like is this gonna be 2E / 3.5E or 5E ?
How the hell did they get the rights to let Satan / Some Bankrupt Retard Publisher / WotC / Hasbro approve a pre-4E game?
Are they riding the Obsidian / InXile coat tails and hoping to get some of the quick cheddar?

Or Could this be..
:incline:
???

EDIT:

The more I think about this.. I am really worried they convinced the overlords of Hasbro/WotC that they can make this sequel / prequel really cheap using existing code and assets and it's gonna be a piece of shit.. I really hope I am wrong.. I am loving all these isometric TB / RtWP games that are making a return. Please Beamdog don't make some piece of shit filler game in the infinity engine.. license the Obsidian engine if you have to.

Last edited:

skyst

Augur
Oster has BG posters on his wall and is wearing an IWD shirt... laying it on kind of heavy, huh?

Also chuckled at DA:O and Hearthstone on his desktop.

Somberlain

Arcane
Zionist Agent

I am dumbfounded.. so many questions..
So like is this gonna be 2E / 3.5E or 5E ?
How the hell did they get the rights to let Satan / Some Bankrupt Retard Publisher / WotC / Hasbro approve a pre-4E game?
Are they riding the Obsidian / InXile coat tails and hoping to get some of the quick cheddar?

aVENGER Can you come here and tell these morans it's going to be 2E

Adventure Y will use the same ruleset as BG:EE and BGII:EE i.e. you can play all three parts with the same character.

agris

Arcane
Patron
There was no way that this interquel would he anything other than 2.5e.

Why would they risk alienating their entire base?

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
I'm fairly sure there's going to be full BG1EE->BG1.5->BG2EE import feature as well. They can patch all three games to adjust the xp gains as necessary.

Nihiliste

Arcane
Patron
I didn't realize Oster was still running this business from Edmonton. I should have a chat with him about the desecration of classics.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom