Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate: Siege of Dragonspear Pre-Release Thread

waywardOne

Arcane
As a semi-purist (read: hates 2e AD&D, loves BG/BG2), there is no way they can put anything significant between BG and BG2. During my OCD completionist era, even if I had done every quest available before advancing the main quest, I was always on the cusp of being too high level for the encounters presented to be in any way challenging. This is exacerbated the earlier the side quests become available in BG2.

tl;dr: Starting at level 9 for BG2 is a significant advantage than level 7. To put any kind of XP-significant quest in the transition from BG to BG2 is to not only add to the suspension of disbelief for BG2 (which required a lot off the bat), but to make every BG2 battle further into easy-mode.

Beamdog aren't fans of BG. They are vampires sucking the lifeblood of those desperate for CPRGs. I will not curse fellow brethren like aVENGER, as I believe that one day they will make amends for their whorish behavior.

Ramireza

Savant
Do they plan to sell this as a stand alone game?
And how many hours do they expect this game to have since we know they cannot overlevel the characters for BG2.

Because of the Experiments done to you by Irenicus, you loose all levels you gained before. Something like that i guess.

Volrath said:
The only patch you'll need to make this game playable will be uninstall.exe.

And dont forget replay the classics!

Somberlain

Arcane
Zionist Agent
I'm not sure why people are so concerned about the xp gains in the upcoming interquel. Increasing the maximum level by one (less than 100000xp?) makes very little difference in BG2, even early in the game. Besides, why could't they just make an interquel that doesn't raise the TOTSC level cap at all? Of course, I'm assuming that this won't be nearly as long as BG1 or BG2.

I'd be more interested in whether the game will be any good.

waywardOne

Arcane
Well, judging by what they've done so far, it won't be good.

As far as the XP goes, until around '06, I never even had TotSC, so I was going to BG2 from BG around level 7 or 8 (or ~6/7 if multi). Not just Charname, but the recruited NPCs, and it makes a hell of a lot of difference if you don't have to purposely slog through easier battles and quests until you can get 5th level spells from your clerics and mages once they get to 9th level. With TotSC, you're pretty much guaranteed to start at at least 9th, depending on class. If they do anything at all, you'll be that much closer to starting BG2 with shit like Disintegrate and summoned Fire Elementals, then you'll have to do the opposite of non-TotSC installs and deliberately seek out the harder stuff right off the bat, as at least 30% of the content is going to be permanently underleveled to provide any kind of challenge at all.

Unwanted
Douchebag! Shitposter
waywardOne welcome back

I remember people discussing your negative opinions in the Beamdog's forum is what brought me here in the first place. Much lulz where had when I discovered the forum was full of angry cunts.

waywardOne

Arcane
I tried to be honest. They didn't want to hear it. Optimism does not trump fact. It's really quite delicious after a 1.5 year hiatus to look back at all the things I was right about.

In the interim, I stopped hating them. Beamdog aren't malicious, they're just incompetent. From the beginning, they tried to hype themselves as co-founders of Bioware, when really Oster was just a hired hand from another company that did some 3d models. I guess working on a new company's first product makes you a founder. That the EEs turned out as shit shouldn't have been a surprise to anyone besides the modders that got bought out (no blame to them, Oster was going to rape them anyway; might as well get paid for it).

Last edited:
Unwanted
Douchebag! Shitposter
I can already tell how it's going to end up. Either this is a short campaign with barely enough to gain one level, or they will pull some nonsense at the end of it where your levels get absorbed by a mysterious mage capturing you.

Though, I always thought that Irenicus torturing him for months didn't had any impact on my character. I guess from this point of view it wouldn't be so bad.

waywardOne

Arcane
Verisimilitude. Adventure Y is the equivalent of Irenicus torturing the player with bad writing, shitty graphics, and kobold romances.

Adventure Y? No. Adventure Why.

Archibald

Arcane
Honestly, who gives a shit if it has only one level up or we end up getting level drained or whatever fuck else? More important thing is will it be actually a good game, I doubt it, but this bullshit about "MUH IMMERSION" is getting annoying.

MrMarbles

Cipher
Beamdog aren't malicious, they're just incompetent.

Incompetence runs you into the ditch almost as often as malice. My biggest problem with this project isn't that it will probably be shit. The biggest problem is that by associating themselves with BG, people may start to confuse this with BG, start by playing it (being the most recent title), be turned off and then avoid other BG titles.

The EEs were bungled, but it was fine because at least they encouraged people to get to know the original content in BG. If this project has the opposite effect, making it less likely that people try BG, it would be a fucking tragedy.:argh:

ArchAngel

Arcane
Beamdog aren't malicious, they're just incompetent.

Incompetence runs you into the ditch almost as often as malice. My biggest problem with this project isn't that it will probably be shit. The biggest problem is that by associating themselves with BG, people may start to confuse this with BG, start by playing it (being the most recent title), be turned off and then avoid other BG titles.

The EEs were bungled, but it was fine because at least they encouraged people to get to know the original content in BG. If this project has the opposite effect, making it less likely that people try BG, it would be a fucking tragedy.:argh:
I don't see anyone that is not lost buying Adventure Y without playing BG1 first.

Blackguard

Learned
I think most people people buying the dlc will be familiar with BGs, but at least if this is a standalone product it will be the first "BG" game for a fair number of people. Stick a game with the words "Baldur's Gate" in the title on Steam and it will attract some attention at least, especially after PoE. Also i've seen some big sites like Eurogamer mention this so I doubt the launch will go completely unnoticed either.

Grimwulf

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
Can't be worse than PoE.

But I really hoped Beamdog would work on IWD2 EE. Of all IE games, this one needs remake the most. The goddamn engine doesn't even have 3d acceleration - the choppy scrolling pisses me off. Not to mention other issues when running it on modern system. IWD1 EE was fucking awesome, and I need moar of that particular stuff.

Tigranes

Arcane
They did a shit job at taking a wonderful game and 'remastering' it, and also charged too much for the little they did. They took several tries to get this 'remaster and sell for twice the money' jig to a decent level.

They are not going to make a good game. Unless you enjoy investing in proven failure multiple times...

Grimwulf

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
Is there a single reason why should I play vanilla IWD instead of EE? Name one.

Beamdog did a mighty fine job with this game. Just finished OC in multiplayer, moving on to Heart of Winter. If Beamdog ever remakes IWD 2 - will buy without a second thought, and won't give jack shit if the whole 'Dex will cry out how bad it is. Coz right now Codex is wrong.

waywardOne

Arcane
I think many Codexians don't have a reason to play IWD, either version. Personally, it didn't do much for me. If I want that much hack & slash, I've still got Diablo.

Serus

Arcane
Patron
I think many Codexians don't have a reason to play IWD, either version. Personally, it didn't do much for me. If I want that much hack & slash, I've still got Diablo.
Don't cut yourself on your edginess. With all the faults (this weird real time/rounds thingy instead of turns) IWD is still a party-based, d&d based crpg. Equaling it to Diablo - a good but very different game in a different sub-genre doesn't make you look smart here.

Blackguard

Learned
Can't be worse than PoE.

But I really hoped Beamdog would work on IWD2 EE. Of all IE games, this one needs remake the most. The goddamn engine doesn't even have 3d acceleration - the choppy scrolling pisses me off. Not to mention other issues when running it on modern system. IWD1 EE was fucking awesome, and I need moar of that particular stuff.

For fun I checked the Beamdog releases on Steamspy:

BG: Owners: 432,837 ± 17,117
BG2: Owners: 248,730 ± 12,980
IWD: Owners: 31,069 ± 4,589

Obviously Steam isn't the only place these games are being sold at, but those numbers certainly don't look good for IWD2EE. I completely agree though that out of all the IE games it actually could have benefited the most. Even the modding scene for it is pretty barren.

Xeon

Augur
A lot of people were hyped for BG1 and was a disaster at release IIRC and that probably moved a lot of people away from the other releases. BG2 also was a little buggy at release. IWD was perfect but man I really wish if they made some extra content or side areas since the game is extremely linear, only good for combat.

BG1EE is kinda solid now but still would love some of the updates they did to IWD to be transferred to BG1. BG2 really needs a lot of work, its not much better than vanilla, probably not better at all except for instant loading, doesn't have any of the quality of life stuff from the other games IIRC. Hope they release a big update with more enhancements or something before the DLC comes out.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Can't be worse than PoE.

For fun I checked the Beamdog releases on Steamspy:

BG: Owners: 432,837 ± 17,117
BG2: Owners: 248,730 ± 12,980
IWD: Owners: 31,069 ± 4,589

Obviously Steam isn't the only place these games are being sold at, but those numbers certainly don't look good for IWD2EE. I completely agree though that out of all the IE games it actually could have benefited the most. Even the modding scene for it is pretty barren.
Beamdog also sold these games on their own service and both BG1 and BG2 only came to Steam years later. And then there are copies sold on GoG.

dukeofwhales

Cipher
Those numbers do look bad but it is worth remembering that both BG1 and 2 have been on sale for $5 a bunch of times and IWDEE has not. For a lot of people I imagine $5 is the psychological "may never play this but I enjoyed it ten years back" barrier. The games would have a long tail too - not many people would have been hyped & waiting on the release since they could play IWD whenever they wanted.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom