Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Beamdog's Baldur's Gate 1 & 2 Enhanced Editions

Shadenuat

Arcane
To be fair, you can rend even SCS mages helpless with a protection from magic scroll (I assume that's what the bubble is). Kind of defeats the point of fighting high level wizards.
Not exactly. Spell Revisions has an option to allow Spellstrike to remove it.

TBH, these scrolls have reason to exist only for demiliches (since there is no particular tactic against them that is not cheese of some sort or powering through with many +4 wielding characters) and maybe vanilla TotSC for Aec Letec (at least I had to use them there years ago when I played game first time(s), but I had no trouble with him in BG1 Enhanced Edition - for some reason his soulkilling power never happened).
If there weren't soul eating / infinite Imprisonment these scrolls wouldn't have reason to exist. Well maybe Beholders, but SCS remakes them too so they're more like normal monsters than just barrage of scripted super spells.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
Beamdog do some native advertising and also this: http://blog.beamdog.com/2016/02/fantasy-grounds.html

In the deep, dusty archives of Baldur's Gate (or, rather, the well-maintained archives of Mike Sass's hard drive), we found the original Edwin Odesseiron portrait by Baldur’s Gate artist Mike Sass. The piece was never made available… until now. Fantasy Grounds has the portrait available as a free download, and so do we!

Behold, the inimitable Red Wizard of Thay in all his original glory! Our friends over at Gamerati have an interview with Sass up right now discussing his artistic process and influences. Read the history, meet the artist, play the character, and enjoy the portrait!

VentilatorOfDoom
Wasn't that portrait available before somewhere?

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected

ArchAngel

Arcane
It is really strange that I got lucky enough to not run into any of these bugs when I played the EEs.
I also didn't run into any bugs with latest versions. I tried playing BG2EE with patch before last one and one of the quest for new companion would not fire. That is only bug I seen.

hell bovine

Arcane
To be fair, you can rend even SCS mages helpless with a protection from magic scroll (I assume that's what the bubble is). Kind of defeats the point of fighting high level wizards.
Not exactly. Spell Revisions has an option to allow Spellstrike to remove it.

TBH, these scrolls have reason to exist only for demiliches (since there is no particular tactic against them that is not cheese of some sort or powering through with many +4 wielding characters) and maybe vanilla TotSC for Aec Letec (at least I had to use them there years ago when I played game first time(s), but I had no trouble with him in BG1 Enhanced Edition - for some reason his soulkilling power never happened).
If there weren't soul eating / infinite Imprisonment these scrolls wouldn't have reason to exist. Well maybe Beholders, but SCS remakes them too so they're more like normal monsters than just barrage of scripted super spells.
Depends on what you consider cheese: spell immunity and berserker rage should both protect from imprisonment (I think also the slayer change does too) and I don't think they are. Personally, I wouldn't call the scrolls cheesy either; its not like you are abusing game mechanics by using them. It's rather the same problem as with protection from undead, however: it simply takes away the challenge, so of course they'll make certaint enemy types easy. (I don't use spell revisions, btw; in my opinion changes like a -6 penalty to save or die spells are too much.)

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
Ok, by far the most irritating thing is the fact that when your ranged attacker finishes the current stack of ammo, he goes into melee instead of switching to another stack. Holy crap, it's not the complete trainwreck that both BG 1 and 2 EEs were on launch anymore, but still, how can you have such things so long after release. In a re-release of perfectly working old game to boot. Instant saving and loading is the only really good thing here, but it's definitely not worth it suffering through the things they fucked up.

Shadenuat

Arcane
(I don't use spell revisions, btw; in my opinion changes like a -6 penalty to save or die spells are too much.)
I don't remember mod changing them. There was only one bad thing in it imo and that's 3d edition Disintegrate spell, same boring uber magic missile as in NWN2.

Ok, by far the most irritating thing is the fact that when your ranged attacker finishes the current stack of ammo, he goes into melee instead of switching to another stack.
Also if wizard runs out of Melf's he goes into melee. My Neera does it and she uses throwing dagger funny enough, in melee mode, even if I picked throwing mode. I tried leaving her only with ranged item, well she just rushed in with her bare fists.

But you know what I think they changed?

Hold your breath and sit down
If your character gets level drained, you don't have to repick the spells all over again

0d41808f60af8871fa122b3b0f37ab1b.gif

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
Btw this bug kicks in only if you have different ammo stacks, if you have two stack of fire arrows equipped for example then yeah, the character will switch to the second stack automatically.

And no, changing scripts doesn't fix this, gtfo with those pointless "captain obvious" posts.

hell bovine

Arcane
(I don't use spell revisions, btw; in my opinion changes like a -6 penalty to save or die spells are too much.)
I don't remember mod changing them. There was only one bad thing in it imo and that's 3d edition Disintegrate spell, same boring uber magic missile as in NWN2.
Well, I am going by the spell descriptions readme here:
http://www.gibberlings3.net/readmes/readme-spell_rev_descriptions.html
as I have never used that mod.

Finger of Death: "The caster points his finger at the intended victim after the incantation is complete and death occurs unless a save vs. death at -6 is made."
Spellstrike: "Area of Effect: 10' radius"
Also, planetars and devas get imprisonment immunity.

Shadenuat

Arcane

Shadenuat

Arcane
That's kinda neat

O6ssSO2.jpg

uDJTkjn.jpg

3062vee.jpg

Can't say any of them are great (simulacrum as HLA? eh, I can just pick use any item. physical resist for class that is always hidden/invisible? eh. maze instead of maze trap? eeh.) but I wonder if there are more for other kits, or are those just for EE extra classes/kits. Makes sense for SD to have some extra since he can't place traps.

Dorn gets to summon Fallen Deva, wild mages sadly didn't get anything new and unique for HLAs.

Last edited:

hell bovine

Arcane
Well, I am going by the spell descriptions readme here:
http://www.gibberlings3.net/readmes/readme-spell_rev_descriptions.html
as I have never used that mod.
It is actually supported mod by SCS, I think AI in SCS even based on some of it's changes. I played with it a lot and it's fun to actually have options instead of usual banal spell selection, especially with summons that become really good.
I wouldn't call the usual spell selection banal, there is plenty of evil stuff you can do with it. ;)

My point is, that if you criticize the EE for introducing lots of high level spells (I use the original version, so I'm trusting opinion here :P), which is something I certainly agree with, because the last thing that BG2 needs is more high level spells, then spell revisions isn't a good example in comparison. Sure, it tones down some of the routinely overused spells, but it gives too much power to others that don't need it. Reminds me a bit of the attempts to "re-balance" PoE, actually.

Shadenuat

Arcane
Sure, it tones down some of the routinely overused spells, but it gives too much power to others that don't need it. Reminds me a bit of the attempts to "re-balance" PoE, actually.
BG is symmetrical, everything is used against you so I don't see that such a big problem. I played SCS+SR many times and it makes it harder and more interesting. It also makes playing BG1 a lot more interesting since it's spell selection is poor.

My point is, that if you criticize the EE for introducing lots of high level spells (I use the original version, so I'm trusting opinion here :P), which is something I certainly agree with, because the last thing that BG2 needs is more high level spells, then spell revisions isn't a good example in comparison
No idea what u r talking about, SCS changes spells, it doesn't add more scrolls to the game

My point is, that if you criticize the EE for introducing lots of high level spells
Lots of XP too, usually you don't cast 9th level spells and HLAs on Irenicus. They should have scaled down XP gains and also left ToB megadungeon for, well, ToB. I never liked that you could go there in SoA and buy +4 weapons. Never entered it this playthrough yet in EE I am still seriously overpowered.

P.S. They made Blackrazor one bitchin sword, dark flame and everything

0xTwvBF.jpg

Last edited:

likaq

Arcane
SoD needs to be damn good to be worth stomaching the infinity engine and forgotten realms.

Shadenuat

Arcane
Some actual good EE content from ToB (if not for some bugs that made me restart fights 5 times over... oh and DO NOT LEAVE Dorn's quest area with portal, I couldn't find entrance there again)

79MH2kj.jpg

Here you fight high level army of Yan Ti on Thayan arena with help of some immortal NPCs that are immortal so don't hurt them with AoE spells cause I don't think fight will end then

cZwB9Ym.jpg

Yes it's him. Well we've met Elminster so no surprises? Don't put Time Trap before ringing bell, it may fuck up fight and don't summon anything or use DoTs if any since due to random damage he may go into his 2d form breaking his friendly state and then it's all over again (he gains free spell refresh).
I think he has at least 1 "free" Time Stop and there's high chance party would never survive all this crap - not sure how he puts all these spells into 1 timestop even with IA (wizardress before him uses Nahal's together with IA which I understand how it works and use myself with Neera). There's something wrong with EE's Breach spell in ToB since sometimes it works sometimes not (I bombarded him with sequencers of Breach/Khelben's Whips/Spellstrikes still didn't figure it out).

2SlX6u8.jpg

Basically 2 SCS 200 hp dragons with spell sequincers with Spell Reflection etc. + 90 points cold breath.

:5/5:

I haven't been to monk's quest yet but I doubt his will beat this fight, that's hands down best EE fight so far.

Had to drop Vi btw, too much anti-Shar stuff going with monk, although if she's dead or you don't say some stuff maybe you can avoid it, but probably she'll leave at some other point. So full EE playthrough needs some other cleric I guess. Aerie didn't mind planeswalking into Mount Celestia and slaughtering shit there. Guess she's her gnome-god girl huh, no love for gud ol' Tyr.

Last edited:

hell bovine

Arcane
BG is symmetrical, everything is used against you so I don't see that such a big problem. I played SCS+SR many times and it makes it harder and more interesting. It also makes playing BG1 a lot more interesting since it's spell selection is poor.
I wouldn't call BG is symmetrical, because - SCS or not - enemies aren't very good at reacting to spells, especially area of effect ones. Even with SCS I have seen enemies walk into cloud spells; BG pathfinding can't really be fixed, it seems.

My point is, that if you criticize the EE for introducing lots of high level spells (I use the original version, so I'm trusting opinion here :P), which is something I certainly agree with, because the last thing that BG2 needs is more high level spells, then spell revisions isn't a good example in comparison
No idea what u r talking about, SCS changes spells, it doesn't add more scrolls to the game
I was talking about spell revisions here and not SCS?

Lots of XP too, usually you don't cast 9th level spells and HLAs on Irenicus. They should have scaled down XP gains and also left ToB megadungeon for, well, ToB. I never liked that you could go there in SoA and buy +4 weapons. Never entered it this playthrough yet in EE I am still seriously overpowered.
I definitely agree that giving more XP is a bad thing. WK itself just a long equipment and XP haul anyway (but with a great battle at the end, so I like it).

Shadenuat

Arcane
I wouldn't call BG is symmetrical, because - SCS or not - enemies aren't very good at reacting to spells, especially area of effect ones. Even with SCS I have seen enemies walk into cloud spells; BG pathfinding can't really be fixed, it seems.
The system is symmetrical, assuming AI must have same level of skill as human is retarded
Either way you never played the thing, what do you know if it's better for the game or not?

I was talking about spell revisions here and not SCS?
Yeah yeah, Revisions

hell bovine

Arcane
The system is symmetrical, assuming AI must have same level of skill as human is retarded
Either way you never played the thing, what do you know if it's better for the game or not?
:roll: I never wrote that spell revisions make the game better or not, just that I consider those changes overpowered, precisely because the AI isn't as good as a human. Changing an (already powerful) single-target spell to an area of effect in a game, where the AI is shit at dealing with AoEs, gives the player more advantage. So no, I don't consider that symmetrical.

Eyestabber

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Dunno if someone already said it, but whatever: Dorn is OP as fuck. And his DLC adds some magical items to boot. Lol I say.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom