Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Beamdog's Baldur's Gate 1 & 2 Enhanced Editions

Incantatar

Cipher
Anyone knows of a project to de-enhance the content Beamdog added so that you can play vanilla with all the engine changes? Asc64 sadly works for Beamdog and ToBEx won't see all the late changes. I thought about this since the first time i played BGEE. If there isn't one and if Beamdog hasn't hardcoded any of that shit i'll be happy to do that.

Edit: http://www.shsforums.net/files/file/1135-disable-enhanced-edition-npcs/
Found this. A good start.

Last edited:

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Let's see what I used to do...

300 traps...
SR > Malison > Chromatic Orb until instant death...

Shadenuat

Arcane
aVENGER I think you really should have fixed Nature's Beauty counting as non-offensive spell when caster is Invisible, especially after you added Shaman class to the game

Also why remove casting time 1 from Doom & Iron Skins but keeping it on Dolorous Decay?

Also maybe you should have fixed various super armors like ankeg plate and all dragonscale armors counting as leather/hide armors since it means all kits that are only supposed to wear light armors actually don't have this weakness at all (sure they count as armors not prohibited by druid/avenger/ranger ethos, but it makes no sense from class balance point)

Last edited:

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Albeit EE doesn't differ from the original much, it does in some significant ways. First of all, it allows running the game in high resolution. You can do it with the old BG too, but that requires a mod, and it's a nice thing to have it without doing anything. EE adds some magical weapons and other items to the game too. Not too many, which is very good, and they are balanced and fit in the game. Moreover, unlike vanilla BG, EE is not limited to Windows only, and can be run on other operating systems. A great thing is also the fact that BG EE has many languages to choose from (albeit no dubbings) so it might be a good way to practice one's language skills. Unfortunately these are the only positive things I can say about EE.

When EE was released it was full of bugs, even gamebreaking ones, but they were fixed by now. Most of them at least, because some things remain broken. For example I couldn't join Alora to my team, because her encounter was broken. Moreover, the quality of the writing when it comes to the new dialogues (and NPCs) is low, and it stands out from the rest of the game, definitely not in a positive way. Hence, it's better to play vanilla game without it. Moreover, for replayability there are many interesting modifications for Baldur's Gate, but they do not work with EE.

Play Baldur's Gate if you haven't already. To decide whether to choose BG:EE or BG you should consider quite a few things.

Why choose BG over BG:EE?
- no bugs
- quality of the game is the same all-through
- modifications

Why choose BG:EE over BG?
- multiple language versions (but no dubbings)
- multiple operating systems supported (albeit Wine runs BG just fine)

pippin

I know Beamdog's companions can be ignored, but the cringeworthy quality of their writing plus the fact that they do stick out like sore thumbs in every other sense could be considered as a dealbreaker when it comes to the EEs.

Theldaran

Liturgist
Prior to the EEs, playing Baldur's Gate 10+ years after release was some kind of l33t gaming. Now the l33t beyond the l33t is playing original BG (GOG versions).

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
Albeit EE doesn't differ from the original much, it does in some significant ways. First of all, it allows running the game in high resolution. You can do it with the old BG too, but that requires a mod, and it's a nice thing to have it without doing anything.

Should mention that:
- The mod is awful and makes everything extremely tiny, whereas the EE gives you zoom in/out and makes the UI have a good size.
- The UI mod is awful as well, with weird images chosen as backgrounds.

This is one instance where a mod is no replacement for the real thing. The effect jus isn't the same, not even near.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
Well, in that case you should probably mention that both (not)scaling the UI and zooming in makes the game look completely horrible since they didn't bother to actually make hi res versions.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
Well, in that case you should probably mention that both (not)scaling the UI and zooming in makes the game look completely horrible since they didn't bother to actually make hi res versions.

But the widescreen mod doesn't improve the graphics either. All it does is place the camera further above. Don't get me wrong, that's awesome, but a lot of times you need precision when picking up things and you just don't have that with the widescreen mod. In EE it's just as simple as zooming in, pick shit, zoom out and enjoy the view again.

Also, the UI looks fairly good in the EE (resolution wise), I don't know what you mean by that.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
Prior to the EEs, playing Baldur's Gate 10+ years after release was some kind of l33t gaming. Now the l33t beyond the l33t is playing original BG (GOG versions).

No, the TRU elite beyond the elite write in-depth retrospectives on the original incarnation, based on their playthroughs of an original 6 disc installation, bought in 1999.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
But the widescreen mod doesn't improve the graphics either. All it does is place the camera further above. Don't get me wrong, that's awesome, but a lot of times you need precision when picking up things and you just don't have that with the widescreen mod. In EE it's just as simple as zooming in, pick shit, zoom out and enjoy the view again.
That's... pretty original way of justifying this utterly pointless and fugly zoom feature, solid:3/5: effort.
Also, the UI looks fairly good in the EE (resolution wise), I don't know what you mean by that.
I mean that it doesn't, it's an ugly, blurry mess on modern displays and clearly shows a complete lack of honest effort.

Theldaran

Liturgist
In BGEE you have the utility from BG2 that allows you to highlight everything lootable, be it corpses, lockers or holes. It breaks the game in some cases (since some containers were supposed to be secrets only uncovered with thorough pixel hunting). So it isn't really necessary to zoom in.

They didn't fiddle much with the resolution because... the game is pretty much recycled, the assets weren't available at Bioware, they were just done away with. The code, I guess it's easily hackable. That also explains why so little of Baldur's Gate city is shown in SoD.

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
but a lot of times you need precision when picking up things and you just don't have that with the widescreen mod. In EE it's just as simple as zooming in, pick shit, zoom out and enjoy the view again.
You must be half-blind and suffering from Parkinson's Disease. I sympathize.

Oh sorry, you're just retarded. Never mind then.

Incantatar

Cipher
In BGEE you have the utility from BG2 that allows you to highlight everything lootable, be it corpses, lockers or holes. It breaks the game in some cases (since some containers were supposed to be secrets only uncovered with thorough pixel hunting).
Technically this happened the first time with the ToB expansion. We played SoA back then without Tab-search.

The EEs do add some nice shit. Being able to wear shields and bows at the same time? Native on Linux? That is just glorious. The shit content is removable like mentioned above. If GemRB will ever be polished i'd use that but i don't see that happen soon.

soulburner

Cipher
I may have asked about this before, but is there a way to change the fonts in the EEs?
I changed the font in the original releases by using font files from Icewind Dale, but it seems the EEs use different files and file formats for that. I'd like to change all fonts to something similar to Times New Roman, because I find it easiest to read and the fonts in the Beamdog releases are just ugly.

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
is there a way to change the fonts in the EEs?
Last time I checked (over a year ago), some jap wrote a program to generate bmp font files of the new format in c# and released the sources, but it had problems with kerning etc, so it was unusable. I don't know if it's fixed now. It was somewhere on the beamdog forums in japanese.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
That's... pretty original way of justifying this utterly pointless and fugly zoom feature, solid:3/5: effort.

Pointless it is not if it's handy and a lot of people use it. Just because you don't doesn't mean it's a pointless feature.

What do you mean it's a blurry mess? It's not perfect, but it's still better than that of the Widescreen mod which is tiny as fuck. And if we are going to go tiny, the EE's wins too.

I don't get why you are against new features that aren't forced on you, frankly. I get it if you hate the new UI style (I don't like it either after trying the original game), but the zoom-out feature is pretty cool.

Oh sorry, you're just retarded. Never mind then.

And you called me "half-blind"? lel. Even with scaling the UI looks sharper and of higher res than BG's with the Widescreen and UI mods.

You are probably one of those dudes that don't even know what resolution is or how it even works. My sympathies.

Last edited:

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
Hot damn, is that a burn? Was I insulted? :D I am so triggered, I might start a Tumblr-blog. Don't you know that Codex is a safe space!?

I thought you were half-blind and suffered from Parkinson disease because you claimed that using the Widescreen mod for higher resolutions made it difficult to see and click on things accurately. I've played on 1920x1080 and 1280x1024 resolutions extensively and had no such problems, so I assumed you must be disabled in some manner. But then you proceeded to praise the new GUI, so I guess you're just retarded and not actually disabled. The widescreenmod actually makes all the IE games more beautiful because you can appreciate the backgrounds in their full glory. To instead use Beamdogs shitty blur-filter and zoom feature... you gotta be retarded. It's the only logical explanation. Or otherwise Lyric Suite has always been correct and civilization is doomed.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
use Beamdogs shitty blur-filter

If you'd said this from the beginning, I would have told you I don't like the blur-filter either and I understand if you'd rather play the crisp vanilla game. I hadn't even noticed the blur until now that I've started the game up, and it's annoying indeed, as I'd rather have perfect pixels than a blurry mess up close.

Still... not everyone enjoys seeing ant characters, no matter how good your vision may or may not be.

Last edited:

Bester

⚰️☠️⚱️
Patron
Vatnik
Found it. Just wasted like half an hour to generate normal.bmp and normal.fnt file which don't do anything :P
Ah, that's my thread by the way - the only mod I ever made for BG. Anyway, you have to put them in some other place now, not in the Override folder I think. Keep trying until all your fonts turn to shit, then you'll know the game hooked them up.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom