Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Beamdog's Baldur's Gate 1 & 2 Enhanced Editions

Baardhaas

Cipher
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here
Yes, it would be just bears that have the hug-attack, but BG does feature all four types of bears in the 2nd edition monster’s manual.

I always ran away and pelt them with arrows from a distance anyway. But with a speed of 12 that tactic won’t work as well. Combining the speed with the hug attack would change them from free xp-bags to nasty opponents for any low level party. I’ll suggest it on the SCS forum. Maybe it’s already implemented for all I know.

Doktor Best

Arcane
Bears can run up to 60 kilometers per hour which is alot faster than average joe. They can also climb trees. Basically youre fucked if you see a pissed off big bear in the woods and youre not armed or do not have someone with you that is slower than you and can serve as bait.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Yes, it would be just bears that have the hug-attack, but BG does feature all four types of bears in the 2nd edition monster’s manual.

I always ran away and pelt them with arrows from a distance anyway. But with a speed of 12 that tactic won’t work as well. Combining the speed with the hug attack would change them from free xp-bags to nasty opponents for any low level party. I’ll suggest it on the SCS forum. Maybe it’s already implemented for all I know.
SCS guy has not been heard or seen for a while now so I doubt any suggestions are useful.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Bears can run up to 60 kilometers per hour which is alot faster than average joe. They can also climb trees. Basically youre fucked if you see a pissed off big bear in the woods and youre not armed or do not have someone with you that is slower than you and can serve as bait.
I was told that you should run downhill if you try to run away from a bear, you got most chance to survive that way, running up hill or on level ground is probably death if bear really wants to catch you.

Perkel

Arcane
running away from bear in woods is much easier than running away from bear in open space.
Bear has like 10 times your weight and it needs much more force to turn.

Ergo instead of going straight move and change direction between trees as close as possible. Which is also like you should run away from boars.

Boars are waaaay more dangerous than bears though (bears are chill most of the time while boars don't fuck around)

source: had granpa hunter

Doktor Best

Arcane
Both will avoid you like the plague as humans are the most dangerous animals, but if you come near their younglings they will happily tear you a new one.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Okay, I haven't read the rest of the thread, but it seems like they added some new companions in this version of BG2? At least I don't remember some of them, like Hexxat.

Playing an evil party right now and it's a lot of fun.

I know that some main character classes have extra quests for them, like the ranger. Is there something like that for fighters too?

animlboogy

Learned
I tried to play an evil party for once, thanks to the existence of Dorn. Which made it so every halfway decent person in the world wants to kill me on sight. I don't like BG combat enough to engage with it that often.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
I tried to play an evil party for once, thanks to the existence of Dorn. Which made it so every halfway decent person in the world wants to kill me on sight. I don't like BG combat enough to engage with it that often.

Well, you don't have to go all psychopath even with an evil party. I still have Nalia though and the main character is neutral too, so maybe that balances it out a little bit.

And yeah, I just read about the stronghold stuff. Sounds like some of it is pretty good, like the thief guild and the mage and cleric ones.

Malpercio

Arcane
tZttIOe.jpg

Yay.

Aren't dragons usually immune to fear though. :philosoraptor:

Melcar

Arcane
Looking at the screenshot from the original IWD interface someone posted in the Screenshot thread and comparing it to this. Is there no justice in the world?

Orobis

Arcane
Sychophantic Noob
Dorn is so overpowered in BG1EE. Having a character with 19 STR plus his poison blade attack thingy which ticks for huge damage, can't be mitigated in any way and interrupts casters just trivializes every Fight/Encounter in the game.

Actually, you don't ever need to use his poison move. Having 19 STR is a joke that early in the game as is. Or anytime IN BG1 for that matter.

Perkel

Arcane
Dorn is so overpowered in BG1EE. Having a character with 19 STR plus his poison blade attack thingy which ticks for huge damage, can't be mitigated in any way and interrupts casters just trivializes every Fight/Encounter in the game.

Actually, you don't ever need to use his poison move. Having 19 STR is a joke that early in the game as is. Or anytime IN BG1 for that matter.

? try druid kits to see what is really overpowered in BG1 with BG2 kits. Basically up until last part of the game you don't need to earn single XP to win.

Which is funny because same kits in BG2 were horrible.

With Half Orcs anyone can get 19/19 str/con anyway, and you can pick up the con tome early on to get permanent regeneration.

? try druid kits to see what is really overpowered in BG1 with BG2 kits. Basically up until last part of the game you don't need to earn single XP to win.

Which is funny because same kits in BG2 were horrible.

I thought they were balanced i.e. nerfed? Only there shapeshifters get early shapeshifting and aside from the 19 strength its not that impressive (no special immunities and poor base weapon damage).

Orobis

Arcane
Sychophantic Noob
With Half Orcs anyone can get 19/19 str/con anyway, and you can pick up the con tome early on to get permanent regeneration.

You can't pick half-orcs in BG1. In the non enhanced version that is. Being able to pick them in BG1 breaks the game.

You can't pick half-orcs in BG1. In the non enhanced version that is. Being able to pick them in BG1 breaks the game.

I didn't imply otherwise. Read it as "With (the addition of) Half Orcs".

In any case the Strength spell can already let you hit 18/00 which is almost as good as 19. Only misses out on one point of damage, which is pretty negligible. Similarly there are the gloves that give anyone 18/00 permanently.

I do agree that having an already powerful kit with 19 strength is dumb for balance though. Basically makes Minsc irrelevant, considering his only perk was great strength which was saddled by a poor class and being paired with another NPC.

Dreaad

Arcane
Deep in your subconscious mind spreading lies.

Breaks the game :lol::lol::lol::lol: The infinity engine games were many things but balanced was never one of them. 19 Str is far less of a problem than the web/hold person spells, or how in the non EE versions you could summon 100+ creatures through wands, or the boots that permanently haste you or any number of other equally ridiculous things.

Orobis

Arcane
Sychophantic Noob
Breaks the game :lol::lol::lol::lol: The infinity engine games were many things but balanced was never one of them. 19 Str is far less of a problem than the web/hold person spells, or how in the non EE versions you could summon 100+ creatures through wands, or the boots that permanently haste you or any number of other equally ridiculous things.

That requires meta knowledge. I'm thinking along the lines of a first time player being able to pick half-orc. Right from candle keep to the end of the game that half-orc toon will steam roll everything. How early do you get web/hold or sleep for that matter?

The difference between a Half-Orc with 19 strength steamrolling everything and other races with 18/00 strength steamrolling everything is that the latter has to roll 100 times to get 100 exceptional strength, because BG's and AD&D's stat system is stupid. Getting rid of needing to need to roll spam for a "maxed" character is a good thing IMO.

You get sleep immediately and web/hold are level 2 spells. Spells like Web and Stinking Cloud are very OP since you can stack them multiple times in BG to the point where even if enemies have 95% chance to resist they'll probably spend half their time stuck, at which point a whole party of 6 people can open fire with 100% chance to hit and clobber shit effortlessly. High strength IS fairly overpowered when using slings. 19 strength can most likely one-hit anything at level 1 or 2 from the edge of your line of sight.

Orobis

Arcane
Sychophantic Noob
19 strength can most likely one-hit anything at level 1 or 2 from the edge of your line of sight.

That's what im saying. Melee or ranged it doesn't matter. 1-2 hits on any mob for half the game is dead. By the time you get that spider sword (forgot what it's called, the 2H sword from that fat spider queen broad, you the know, the one that Irenicus use to bang than tossed her ass aside) You are lvl 5 or so and the rest of the higher lvl mobs are again 1-2 hits for the rest of the game. First time players will see this and think: "Ok so magic is crap, why bother when half-orc 1 shots everything?"
Getting rid of needing to need to roll spam for a "maxed" character is a good thing IMO.
I concur.

While BG doesn't have nearly the level of magical bullshit to wade through that BG2 does, there's still lots of encounters that will screw exclusively physical parties. Particularly Panic always seemed to hit me a lot and cause someone to run off and aggro half the map.

Blame OG BG1 for the power of physicals due to the stat reallocation thing. In AD&D your average fighter isn't supposed to be even 18 strength let alone 18/00 strength.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom