Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Beamdog's Baldur's Gate 1 & 2 Enhanced Editions

Malpercio

Arcane
Alright, time for BG2.

It's been a while since I did Irenicus dungeon, years even. I usually skip it, but since I'm playing EE I figured I would do a clean, no mods playthorough for the first time in a long while.

ZIyl7Rp.jpg

AGt85K3.jpg

You know, I didn't realize how rapey Irenicus got with Imoen. I mean, it was always sorta in the air since he wanted to break her, but they really spell out, in retrospect, don't they?

OoZDjoW.jpg

Now that I think about it, what the fuck was Viconia doing in the middle of Athakla anyway?

Not sure about my final party. I want to give Dorn and Rasaad a go, and my CHARNAME is a Cleric/Fighter, so frontline is waaaay covered. Jan and Aerie could idealistically cover the mage+thief side, leaving a spot open for any character I want I guess. Aerie, though. :flamesaw:

Malpercio

Arcane
gnCCDqG.jpg

It begins. :prosper:

Ms8rGRC.jpg

Ok, my party is ready, still not sure about Jaheira, she kinda feel redundant, you know? I was thinking of picking Hear'Dalis for for chara interactions (Since I'm also using Aerie, whom he can fuck), but I cannot play Bard to save my life.

E8sSFI7.jpg

BEAMDOG/AMBER SCOT CONFIRMED FOR TIME TRAVELER, HOLY SHIT

Since you are playing a male PC, Dorn is perfect addition.
Sure, I guess I'll have gay sex with Dorn. Jaheira creeps me out hitting on my character when Khalid body isn't even cold and who the fuck romances Aerie? Half-orcs aren't my n°1 pick, but what you can do?

Incantatar

Cipher
You can speak quickly to her after giving her the sword and she will keep the ogre sprite. :lol: I don't believe they fixed this in the EE.

valcik

Arcane
Ok, my party is ready, still not sure about Jaheira, she kinda feel redundant, you know?
She rocks with Sling of Seeking combined with one of the strenght improving belts tho, dealing 20-25 dmg per hit. Pretty OP sturdy character with all those full plate mails and Shield of Harmony.

Last edited:

Malpercio

Arcane
QqCgSDs.jpg

So, I just killed a vampire... without staking her... without her turning into mist... in two hits. :philosoraptor:

WTF Beamdog? I mean, vampires are a pretty big deal in BG2, how did they expect the players to let it slide?

VQejqDk.jpg

The end of Rasaad questline felt pretty weird on other hand. I'm not sure from where his crisis of faith comes from. I already reassured him in the first encounter with the heretics, I didn't slay his ex-companions, so then when we infiltrated the temple, we knew the whole twin-goddess cult was bollocks and that's confirmed further by the final confrontation. So I'm not sure why he doesn't feel so strongly about Selune anymore.

DuhiqDI.jpg

He's very on point about Aerie, though. :thumbsup:

ArchAngel

Arcane
Hexat is a companion, you didn't just kill any vampire. Also for vampires to turn into mist and regenerate they need a casket with special dirt or something where they go to regenerate and you stake them there. Hexat does not have that, well she does once you get her to join your party, you carry her casket and she turns into mist when she dies and goes to you and show up a bit later. Pretty cool.

Malpercio

Arcane
No, I know she's a companion, I purposely choose to kill her lol.

Given that she just came out from a casket why woun't she turn into mist and go back into it like every other vampire you meet into the game?

Xeon

Augur
I didn't really like Hexxat all that much and she was quite buggy IIRC at release. But if you don't have Unfinished Business, she gives you a similar to a bag of holding which is kinda nice to have pretty early.

ArchAngel

Arcane
No, I know she's a companion, I purposely choose to kill her lol.

Given that she just came out from a casket why woun't she turn into mist and go back into it like every other vampire you meet into the game?
Because you control that casket. I guess if you killed her she is dead which is good so game mechanics don't make life difficulty for players that choose to kill her.

*-*/\--/\~

Cipher
Eeewww, Beamdog shitcharacters... I remember killing the Dorn retard in BG1, then killing him again when he magically reappeared in Dragonspear... only to have to kill him for the third time in BG2 with the same character.

Malpercio

Arcane
Dorn is not that bad honestly, I actually appreciated they made an evil character that it's actually very evil and doesn't give a fuck.

Problem is, he's flat as a board. He has very few interjections and his character could be summoned in two lines so far "I want power!!!" and then "I want power but also freedom????" The writing is subtle as a sledgehammer. It's like they wrote this NPC, but they only forgot to add the "fat" and inserted him into the game completely barebone.

Rasaad is good to have from a gameplay standpoint (Since originally game was lacking any Monk NPC), but his story is kinda meh.

Neera is kinda awful though, and Hexxat... I don't like characters that don't play by the other NPC rules (I.e., immortal overpowered vampire), she reminds me of those awful mod NPC you can find on spell-hold studio.

Anyway, I replayed BG2 a bazillion of times now, but it's always funny to discover new stuff if you take your time.

KJkH8OF.jpg

...Like this shop in Whaukeen Provenade filled with bananas...

psSBbJR.jpg

... or that fact you can go up in Mekrath's lair and find yourself in the Bridge District (Which it's kind of a logistic nightmare :hearnoevil:), although you can't access from the rest of the district from there.

*-*/\--/\~

Cipher
... but I don't appreciate their hamfisted attempt to force him to you. When you meet him, he insults and threatens you as a nameles nobody, yet there is no option to tell him to piss off and fight him. When you meet him later fighting some bandits, the only option is to fight them with him. Siding with the bandits against the evil, depraved blackguard? Nope. Diplomacy option? Heck no. And suddenly, he knows you and "has heard of your prowess" or some shit and wants to join. Still no option to fight him of course, Beamdog is too afraid you'd hurt their Preciousssss. At least there is no penalty if you force-attack him in the inn.

After that, I did my best to avoid any Beamdog content, so I can't comment on the other characters much, except Neera being damn annoying.

But I agree with you on that replaying and still finding new, fun bits - somehow BG has made me replay it more times than any of those games that claim "replayability" by throwing randomly generated shit at you.

Xeon

Augur
Its much better with the black borders right now. Disabling scrolling out of bounds seem a little missed up than it was prior to ver2.0+, also doesn't work that great with unlocked zoom.

I kinda like the new character blurriness or something, its probably more noticeable of how great it looks if you compare it to before 2.0.

Dorn doesn't show up at all if you never talk to him in the Friendly Arms inn and he never starts a conversation in BG1 nor BG2 IIRC. He is probably the only new companion who doesn't bother you at all if you never talk to him.

Xeon

Augur
He shows up in SoD, pretty early too. But yea I wish he showed up in BG2 as well.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Korgan is definitely a good addition and his attitude is quite refreshing.
Viconia just rocks - a cleric and with the 18 STR item she is pretty much a front-line soldier too.
Edwin is the perfect mage, esp. with the 2 extra spell slots for each level.
Nalia is just a Mage/Thief place holder until Imoen returns with better Thieving skills.
Dorn is meh - passable as a fighter, though not as good as Korgan. His quest is quite fun though and results in a pretty good weapon.

Dreaad

Arcane
Deep in your subconscious mind spreading lies.
Dorn is just a shittier version of Keldorn. His abilities are more or less the same, the poison is more useful in some situations and far less useful than the dispel/true sight in others. Same holds for the life steal vs lay on hands. On the other hand Keldorn is a more interesting character and gets to use a far far far superior weapon. The only reason to have Dorn is because Keldorn will try to kill Vic.

SwiftCrack

Arcane
If you rapidly say Keldorn in front of the mirror three times while wearing the Girdle of Masculinity/Femininity you will be visited by a half-orc Blackguard.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Also, favorite quotes from evil playthrough:

Edwin: "Could my opinion of this group sink any lower? Evidently so."

Korgan: "Shoddily made and shoddily maintained... but good killing ground nonetheless"

Edwin: "I'm busy, okay? I'm busy."

Korgan: "Bloody tree huggers and daisy eaters....burn em all."

Edwin: "I do not understand this 'mouse magic' that makes me do your bidding."

Korgan: "I've killed for less."

All-time favorite: "You must gather your party before venturing forth."

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom