Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Beamdog's Baldur's Gate 1 & 2 Enhanced Editions

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
Go through the topic, there were plenty of arguments but since people here are so emotional about their first experience with some game nobody cares about those.

Just as many people would rather not financially reward Beamdog's efforts to utterly cuck Baldur's Gate.
That is just as subjective reason as others I mentioned and does not take down arguments about bgee being superior to tutu.
Hey, could you maybe dig your head out of your ass? That old argument of yours has been wrecked already. Don't think you can start sneaking it around and pretend like it's a new argument, shit head. You lost the debate the last time, do you really want to dance this dance again?

ArchAngel

Arcane
I lost the debate? Against autists?
It is impossible to lose vs autists. The problem is they will never admit it, that is nature of their mental illness.

Coma White

Educated
You are funny. Can I be your friend?

sb2ayRw.jpg

Ivan

Arcane
as a first time player, should I go Enhanced or modded for both games? and which mods would u recommend (TUTU)?

ArchAngel

Arcane
as a first time player, should I go Enhanced or modded for both games? and which mods would u recommend (TUTU)?
Ignore autists here and forget tutu exists unless you must have some mods that EE does not support and it supports the most popular ones.

hell bovine

Arcane
For a first time playthrough, I'd recommend going with the original saga + BGTutu + Sword Coast Stratagem (SCS). As it is, the newest EE patch broke the compatibility with SCS, and without them the enemy AI is very lacking.

I think the install order should look like this:
1. BG1, BG2,
2. (Optional: Ascension, which makes the final battles of the saga quite challenging and adds some roleplaying options. However I would recommend it for a second run, as the installer is somewhat spoilery - it reveals the names of some of the ToB bosses. Do not read the Ascension readme, it is full of spoilers.)
3. BG2 Fixpack
4. BGTutu
5. SCS

SCS makes the combat interesting, but for a first time player avoid certain options, because they make battles really nasty. I'd suggest installing the following:

1. spell tweaks - recommended, the original arcane spell system is a bit... wonky
2. skip item tweaks
3. skip gameplay tweaks
4. cosmetic tweaks - if you like
5. AI enhancements - the important stuff
  • Initialise AI - necessary
  • Smarter general AI - very recommended
  • Better calls for help - recommended
  • High-level abilities for spellcasters - don't install
  • Smarter mages - choose option 3, mages never cast spells instantly
  • Smarter Priests - choose option 3, again
  • Potions for NPCs - whichever you find realistic
  • Improved Spiders - recommended
  • Improved Golems - recommended
  • Smarter dryads and sirines - recommended
  • Slightly smarter carrion crawlers - recommended
  • Smarter basilisks - recommended
  • Improved Golems (BG2) - recommended
  • Improved Fiends - without the HP increase
  • Smarter Genies - without the HP increase
  • Smarter Celestials - without the HP increase
  • Smarter Dragons - without the HP increase
  • Smarter Beholders - whichever option you like
  • Smarter mind flayers - don't choose the "Tactics" option
  • Improved vampires - recommended
  • Improved githyanki - recommended
  • If you install Ascension, do not install the SCS Ascension improvements, as they make those battles fiendishly hard. (there should be an option in the installer, that lets you quit with skipping the rest of the content)

6. Skip the tactical challenges for BG1 and BG2 as the installers contain spoilers.

hell bovine

Arcane
Because I've never used it. For a first time playthrough I wouldn't recommend it anyway, there is plenty of original content to keep you occupied. If you've never played through the game, then choosing between components will be problematic, as it is based on the assumption that you know the game. Really, the most basic mod setup: BGtutu + SCS + gui/widescreen mod is enough. I wouldn't play the game without SCS, tbh, because combat can quickly get boring otherwise.

Ivan

Arcane
great. thanks!

holy fuck how long is this stratagems install? oh cheeeeeeezuz

Last edited:

Coma White

Educated

I already posted this in the IWD: EE thread but

https://www.amazon.com/Dungeons-Dragons-Classic-Anthology-PC/dp/B005JQ064A

You can get Baldur's Gate, Tales of the Sword Coast, and every other Infinity Engine game PLUS The Temple of Elemental Evil -- all for the price of just one EE release.

Ignore autists here and forget tutu exists unless you must have some mods that EE does not support and it supports the most popular ones.

Autism is paying EIGHT games' worth of money for the price of ONE.

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
As a first time player, you should play the original Baldur's Gate AS IT IS, without any mods. Just install Tales of the Sword Coast - though as others said, it pretty much comes along with the GoG installer. Do NOT get the enhanced edition, it's a complete waste of money.

Then, once you have played it through once, you can get Big World Setup and go ham with the mods, like getting BGT - there is absolutely no need to play TuTu as it is outdated and BGT does everything better - and SCS and Unfinished Business and BG1NPC-Project and everything else.

hell bovine

Arcane
The only time I've tried a modded BGT install (with few mods, mind you), it bugged out in the second part of the game, which is why now I use Tutu.

I'd disagree about playing without any mods, though. Player preferences vary, but after finishing BG2 I was so bored with end game content - this is when I would expect some epic encounters, but got general enemy stupidity instead - that I was ready to call it quits. But then Ascension came out (or rather the 'tougher versions') and changed my mind. I have never finished unmodded ToB, nor do I intend to. Out of curiosity I have tried the first ToB fight unmodded, and it was frankly pathetic.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom