Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Beamdog's Baldur's Gate 1 & 2 Enhanced Editions

Sykar

Arcane
Regardless wether they spew nonsense or not they have personality. Unlike the 6 characters you create in the Wizardry and M&M games.
you haven't played Wiz8, have you?

A couple of hours until I got bored.
The Wizardry 8 voices make the characters, just the hero narrator takes the cake
Oh and beign bored of Wiz 8 qualifies you was a tasteless dumbass who's opinion is anything else is seriously suspect

:butthurt:

Ivan

Arcane
is there no defense for Cloudkill? this bitch is wiping my party. i might try the sacrificial lamb strat and bumrush

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
BG2 introduced the Zone of Free Air spell which cancels it but if you are playing actual BG1, you won't have access to it. Dispel Magic does not work on AoE spells so don't waste it. You'll just have to wait it out or use undead summons. There are potions that increase magic resistance, have Viconia drink one and she becomes invulnerable to Cloudkill. But really, in BG1 that spell is meant to be a massive headache and a killer.

hell bovine

Arcane
is there no defense for Cloudkill? this bitch is wiping my party. i might try the sacrificial lamb strat and bumrush
Cloudkill does poison damage. Protection from poison scrolls protect against it, summoned skeletons are immune (probably the best summoning spell in BG1 due to immunities they have, clerics get it). And I think in BGTutu clerics get the zone of sweet air spell.

edit: that's the fun part about BG's spellcasting system: spells cause various types of damage or effects, but there is usually more than one way of dealing with them

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
Come on people - stop recommending BGtutu to newbies. It was last updated in January 2005 for fucks sake. EasyTutu was last updated some time in early 2006. There's probably a ton of mods that either don't work with it properly, not to mention if it had any bugs left, nobody has fixed them. To my knowledge. Meanwhile, BGT and the whole Big World thing has been continuously maintained and updated. There is no point to stick with Tutu and still use hacks to fix green water or suffer from Beregost corrupting save games and what else.

Last edited:

Ivan

Arcane
Just about done! Killed Sarevok and now reloaded to try Durlag's Tower.

I'm really hyped to start BG2 and wanted to consult you guys for any mods for my first run (aside from the obvious widescreen/fix packs)

could anyone clarify the quality of BG2's Unfinished Business mod? does it add gay shit like romances or actually fleshes out what's there?

Last edited:

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
It expands couple of the side quests and adds some stuff that was cut because of time constraints. It's not essential but it doesn't break the flow/immersion of the game either. If you handled BG1 with SCS, then might as well keep up the challenge and use SCS for BG2 too - though if you let casters to pre-buff before combat, you're going to find yourself in a world of pain. Explore the options, there is quite a bit of customization possible. Romantic Encounters is amusing and the sexy/smutty interludes can offer a nice change of pace from the regular BG2 stuff, though the writing ranges from mediocre to cringy. I wouldn't add any item or NPC mods for the first playthrough, nor Dungeon Be Gone.

Ivan

Arcane
Started BG2

is it safe to raise the frame rate to 45 for faster movement (my only real gripe w/both games)

or use shadow keeper

Started BG2

is it safe to raise the frame rate to 45 for faster movement (my only real gripe w/both games)

or use shadow keeper

Frame rate changes are safe in that they can't screw up your game or anything.

Shadowkeeper, dunno depending on your mods or whatnot. It should work but I'd recommend using Near Infinity if you can figure it out.

Romantic Encounters is amusing and the sexy/smutty interludes can offer a nice change of pace from the regular BG2 stuff, though the writing ranges from mediocre to cringy.
Its so bad its hilarious. You should add it.

No what he really needs is the Saerilith Mod.

SCS for BG2 can get pretty brutal. High level mages and certain racial enemies are exceedingly good at abusing mechanics and you'll need a half dozen counters lined up and prepared.

The exceptions are M&M and Wizardry games which give you soulless character sheets to play with who have no personality whatsoever.

wizardry-8-big-2.jpg

:M

Brofisted but Brolapsed when I saw the gamespot logo. Disgusting.

hell bovine

Arcane
Come on people - stop recommending BGtutu to newbies. It was last updated in January 2005 for fucks sake. EasyTutu was last updated some time in early 2006. There's probably a ton of mods that either don't work with it properly, not to mention if it had any bugs left, nobody has fixed them. To my knowledge. Meanwhile, BGT and the whole Big World thing has been continuously maintained and updated. There is no point to stick with Tutu and still use hacks to fix green water or suffer from Beregost corrupting save games and what else.
The reason I'm not recommending it was the the two times I've tried (both with only few well known mods) the game was bugged. In one instance, when I was playing a "Bhaal kids only" party, the Imoen version in BGT had no dialogue. With BGTutu & Tutufix, the bugs encountered were minor (water was fixed and so was Beregost) and the only inconvenience was having to import the character in BG2. A standalone installation of BG2 with only SCS should be safer than BGT anyway.

Just about done! Killed Sarevok and now reloaded to try Durlag's Tower.

I'm really hyped to start BG2 and wanted to consult you guys for any mods for my first run (aside from the obvious widescreen/fix packs)

could anyone clarify the quality of BG2's Unfinished Business mod? does it add gay shit like romances or actually fleshes out what's there?
BG2 is much more packed with content than BG1, so you don't need UB. At the same time, the changes it adds are minor, so you might as well.

SCS is recommended with the standard disclaimer: don't install HLA's for spellcasters, don't install prebuffing for mages & priests, install the improvements without any HP increases and don't install the BG2 tactical challenges (edit: the last one is important, as unlike with enhancing enemy scriptis, it introduces some big changes to endgame encounters). That way battles are still a challenge, but manageable. Keep in mind that BG2 isn't stingy with very powerful equipment, and your party gets to very high levels eventually.

Last edited:

Theldaran

Liturgist

Back in the day I played at 30 because I didn't know any better, besides my machine was on the verge of running BG1. Recently I always play at 60 FPS. The game doesn't break at all.

Ivan

Arcane
holy shit. everything feels so lovingly hand-crafted here. did the circus, freed the slaves, assaulting the stronghold now.

one question tho: why did Irenacus have a teleporter right next to the cells?

ArchAngel

Arcane
holy shit. everything feels so lovingly hand-crafted here. did the circus, freed the slaves, assaulting the stronghold now.

So he can easily come to check on his latest captures for experiments?

Sykar

Arcane

You really think any other captive would have been able to snuck into the mistress chamber and get the key for it?

Ivan

Arcane
how strict are the timed quests? I have like 3 things I want to do but the npc keep nagging me about it. i read that the final warning states something about 3 hours

Orobis

Arcane
Sychophantic Noob
how strict are the timed quests? I have like 3 things I want to do but the npc keep nagging me about it. i read that the final warning states something about 3 hours
Be more specific, are you talking about BG1 or BG2? What quests?

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
There are no timed quests in early BG2. For example, Nalia bugs you about going to the castle but you can just tell her to meet you there and she'll wait until the stars burn out. Unless my memory fails me.

The reason I'm not recommending it was the the two times I've tried (both with only few well known mods) the game was bugged. In one instance, when I was playing a "Bhaal kids only" party, the Imoen version in BGT had no dialogue. With BGTutu & Tutufix, the bugs encountered were minor (water was fixed and so was Beregost) and the only inconvenience was having to import the character in BG2. A standalone installation of BG2 with only SCS should be safer than BGT anyway.
That's weird. Any chance it could be due to some other mod? Some mods only work with BGT, some work only with TuTu, many have a version for both, some work with both automatically.

Orobis

Arcane
Sychophantic Noob
There are no timed quests in early BG2.
There are some, Edwin will eventually leave if you don't do his Nether scroll quest and curing Jaheira's poison has to be done within a week i think? There are a couple of others i'm forgetting.

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria
I think Korgan will also leave if you don't do his intro quest within a few days. Most of the other characters will just complain if you don't get on their quests/quests they want to do immediately, but beyond that won't actually do anything.

And this is important: almost all the Drow city quests have a time limit. When a quest giver tells you to meet them somewhere in 3 hours or less or they'll declare you an enemy of the city and order that you be killed on sight, they mean it. EDIT: I should clarify that there's mainly just a time limit on when you can receive a quest, and failing to meet it will lead to you failing the entire questline and just brute-forcing your way through it. I don't believe there's an actual deadline on when you have to complete it, and if there is then I'm pretty sure that it's fairly liberal.

Last edited:

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
Yeah, the only way to fuck up the Drow city would be to ignore the Underdark part completely, somehow start the Drow quest chain, and then fuck back to Underdark to do all the side quest stuff there and rest for days. If you actually do the Drow quest as when they are given to you, you're golden.

pippin

I think your class-related quests are timed. When I did my Paladin run, the missions they gave me were indeed timed, but they don't really tell you that. If you don't go right away you lose the chance to do the mission, had to edit my save so I could do it properly.

Somberlain

Arcane
Zionist Agent
There are time limits during some of the Drow quests but it's unlikely that you'll fail them since the quests are pretty short and time is plenty. The only exception is the last quest where you need to get blood from Kuo-toa, Mind Flayers or Beholders. Those dungeons, at least the latter two, can take quite a few rests if you are not an experienced player, even more so if you use SCS. However, those can all be completed before you even enter Ust Natha so there's that.

Ivan

Arcane
as a novice to D&D I'm thinking of lowering the difficulty cuz I'm getting steamrolled by the boss at the Stronghold. maybe I'm just under equipped. just picked up the Triple Flail though (used pretentious Hero to Sanctuary into golem room and cop the goods). I'm thinking of giving it to Minsc to dual wield, gonna put a point into his Flail proficiency.

oh! I was referring to the following quests: Dwarf wants you to storm some ruins for a grimoire, Widow is poisoned and wants to go to the Harper HQ, Minsc wants to find Boo in docks, I decided to do the Stronghold first as she (dispossessed rich bitch) kept insisting it was important to go

also, are people meant to know/intuit what creature is weak to what? like the hulking beasts are weak to the orange poison cloud. I know Pillars had a bestiary for this but i guess here people are already supposed to know? like how the fuck was I meant to know that I can't hurt the flesh/stone golems without magic weapons or acid? just curious not bashing the game or anything

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom