Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Beamdog's Baldur's Gate 1 & 2 Enhanced Editions

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
Yeah, you're supposed to know from playing P&P Dungeons and Dragons or older D&D games. Download 2nd edition Monster Manual from somewhere and go to town.

Orobis

Arcane
Sychophantic Noob
Triple Flail
Flail of Ages is one of the best 1 hander's in the game, second only to Celestial Fury IMO, not 100% sure but all mobs should be susceptible to it's slow proc, including dragons even on SCS, not sure about a certain floating golden skull though.
Minsc wants to find Boo in docks
Check Minsc's pocket ;)
also, are people meant to know/intuit what creature is weak to what? like the hulking beasts are weak to the orange poison cloud. I know Pillars had a bestiary for this but i guess here people are already supposed to know? like how the fuck was I meant to know that I can't hurt the flesh/stone golems without magic weapons or acid? just curious not bashing the game or anything
To me, you can file this under Meta-knowledge though some might disagree, but for a first time player it's much more satisfying to experiment to see what works against what and find out the hard way instead of someone holding your hand i.e. following a guide. You will learn to appreciate the mechanics of the game much more, and you will be a better player for it.

But yes you are suppose to know if you're a D&D fan, it's all in the books.

Edit: Garfunkel beat me to it, doh'

Coma White

Educated
holy shit. everything feels so lovingly hand-crafted here. did the circus, freed the slaves, assaulting the stronghold now.

one question tho: why did Irenacus have a teleporter right next to the cells?

I'm envious. I first played Shadows of Amn when it came out (was it 2000? 2001?) People criticize aspects the game now, but the fact remains it's an astonishing achievement in terms of scope, world-building, and quest design. The quintessential fantasy CRPG experience.

Ivan

Arcane
i'm loving it too. it feels like a masterwork. and i'm just 3 hours in. increasing the frame rate was a dope move. thanks for the suggestions guys. going to dive right back in.

one question, though: should I be relying on spells or consumables to heal my party BEFORE resorting to hitting an inn?

also, THANK CHRIST i don't have to hear this shit anymore

Orobis

Arcane
Sychophantic Noob
one question, though: should I be relying on spells or consumables to heal my party BEFORE resorting to hitting an inn?
Both, don't be afraid to use consumables liberally, you will get tonnes. When you're out in the field just rest, when in town use inn's.

Ivan

Arcane
also, if a door doesn't open to lockpick NOR "Knock" should I assume it's a dead end, I'm underleveled, or it's locked for "story purposes?"

Orobis

Arcane
Sychophantic Noob
also, if a door doesn't open to lockpick NOR "Knock" should I assume it's a dead end, I'm underleveled, or it's locked for "story purposes?"
You need a key, many doors require a key that can never be lockpicked, level has nothing to do with it.

As Orobis said, story purposes. Usually the interaction message being "this door doesn't have conventional lock and warded against spells", or something of that effect. As for knock, you have at least two potions which rise your thief skills by 20% or 30%. I use BGT and re-balance mods + SCS, so in my walkthrough potions of Master Thievery are scaled by level - the higher the level, they have the less bonuses. In vanilla and probably EE though they give fixed percentage boosts, so you can use either Potion of Master Thievery, Potion of Perception, or Potion of Power and get more exp from opening locks and disarming traps this way.

hell bovine

Arcane
There are no timed quests in early BG2. For example, Nalia bugs you about going to the castle but you can just tell her to meet you there and she'll wait until the stars burn out. Unless my memory fails me.
I think that if you accept Nalia in the party, her quest becomes timed, as with other NPC quests, but I'm not 100% sure about this.

oh! I was referring to the following quests: Dwarf wants you to storm some ruins for a grimoire, Widow is poisoned and wants to go to the Harper HQ, Minsc wants to find Boo in docks, I decided to do the Stronghold first as she (dispossessed rich bitch) kept insisting it was important to go
NPC quests usually are on a timer. Korgan's quest is fairly straightforward, but has tough encounters, Jaheira's I don't remember (but she can die from that poison if you wait long enough) and Minsc I have no idea, as it is from UB (and therefore maybe isn't on a timer).

And sometimes the key to a door isn't a key, but another item. Some places in BG2 are easy to miss, because that game requires paying far more attention to the detail than BG1. ;)

hell bovine

Arcane
Actually, I think it's amusing that - of all original Bioware NPCs - it is Aerie who has the highest potential and can eventually become the most powerful. My powergaming party of choice would be the circus trio: gnomish f/i, Aerie & Jan Jansen.

il_570xN.253201556-300x331.jpg

in other irrelevant news, apparently you can buy zombie gnomes for your garden

Theldaran

Liturgist
Actually, I think it's amusing that - of all original Bioware NPCs - it is Aerie who has the highest potential and can eventually become the most powerful. My powergaming party of choice would be the circus trio: gnomish f/i, Aerie & Jan Jansen.

That's just because she is half mage, a powergamer's class.

Ivan

Arcane
can someone help me understand why I can't equip Jaheira with a ninja to +3 scimitar from the dude who went to Icewind Dale?

Do I need to have 3 proficiency points to use it (hence the +3?)

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
Druids are restricted in what weapons they can use. Being a fighter/druid does not remove those restrictions, just gives Jaheira more proficiencies, better THAC0 and more HP. Druids can only use scimitars, quarterstaves, slings, spears and clubs. Which is why Jaheira should be a ranger/cleric instead - she could dual-wield scimitars and have access to both druid and cleric spells but nooo, Bioware hates powergaming.

Coma White

Educated
Druids are restricted in what weapons they can use. Being a fighter/druid does not remove those restrictions, just gives Jaheira more proficiencies, better THAC0 and more HP. Druids can only use scimitars, quarterstaves, slings, spears and clubs. Which is why Jaheira should be a ranger/cleric instead - she could dual-wield scimitars and have access to both druid and cleric spells but nooo, Bioware hates powergaming.

I've also often thought that, with your first other party members being Imoen, Montaron, and Xzar, Bioware wanted to round out your initial six-member party with characters who have faster THAC0 progressions. Hence Khalid and Jaheira.

Coma White

Educated
im fucking retarded. it clearly states it's only usable by Monks.
:retarded:

This is something I feel Shadows of Amn does incredibly well, and something I feel often gets overlooked. Fucking awesome loot. Like that talking two-handed sword, or the Mace of Disruption that instagibs undead targets. I've always felt like the weapons and items in this game feel like they were designed by a GM as something sweet and unique for his players, as opposed to just a collection of modifiers.

Ivan

Arcane
ok. what the fuck.

why can't Yoshimbo use the shield grace +3? he isn't one of the prohibited classes, he has ample strength, his sword is a 1 hander. what am i missing?

do bounty hunters count as something else too?

Coma White

Educated
ok. what the fuck.

why can't Yoshimbo use the shield grace +3? he isn't one of the prohibited classes, he has ample strength, his sword is a 1 hander. what am i missing?

do bounty hunters count as something else too?

You mean Saving Grace +3? Bounty Hunter is a Thief package, and Thieves cannot use Medium Shields.

hell bovine

Arcane
Bounty hunters aren't half-bad in BG2, because their last special trap (forgot which level they get it) is thrown, so it basically works like a ranged maze spell.

SwiftCrack

Arcane

A ranger/cleric can wield scimitars?

It's been a while since I played any BG game but I thought cleric anything (dual or multi) kicked out bladed weapons forever.

Ivan

Arcane
no sacrifice will do/but the blood of a friend true

dis geim :love:

Athkatla is so fucking dense with content, i'm in love. just about done and ready to start Act 2. I'm gonna save the Lich fight for later though.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom