Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Beamdog's Baldur's Gate 1 & 2 Enhanced Editions

Coma White

Educated
no sacrifice will do/but the blood of a friend true

dis geim :love:

Athkatla is so fucking dense with content, i'm in love. just about done and ready to start Act 2. I'm gonna save the Lich fight for later though.

Theldaran

Liturgist
There's more than 1 Lich fight.+M

If you mill around at high level, regular undead such as Skeleton Warriors begin to be replaced with spell-slinging regular Liches, for example if you leave Umar Hills dungeon for later.

Not a problem, because a high-level Cleric can make them pop nonstop with a single click on the Turn Undead button.

Orobis

Arcane
Sychophantic Noob
There's more than 1 Lich fight.+M

If you mill around at high level, regular undead such as Skeleton Warriors begin to be replaced with spell-slinging regular Liches, for example if you leave Umar Hills dungeon for later.

Not a problem, because a high-level Cleric can make them pop nonstop with a single click on the Turn Undead button.
wut. This is an SCS setting if i'm not mistaken.

Theldaran

Liturgist

In my case it was base non-EE BG2. Enemies scale and the undead scaling includes random Liches... yes folks. I don't remember clearly but I think I left Umar Hills until after the Underdark so it kinda makes sense, I had awful high level.

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
Yeah, Bioware included level scaling in both BG1 and BG2, though it's pretty non-intrusive.

A ranger/cleric can wield scimitars?

It's been a while since I played any BG game but I thought cleric anything (dual or multi) kicked out bladed weapons forever.
You're right, dunno what I was smoking - ranger/cleric cannot wield scimitars. I had Flail of Ages and Mace of Disruption on my R/C. Early onset dementia.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
BioWare used Encounter Tables, that are in the .ARE files. While it is level scaling, it's a bit different. And it worked very well.

hell bovine

Arcane

In my case it was base non-EE BG2. Enemies scale and the undead scaling includes random Liches... yes folks. I don't remember clearly but I think I left Umar Hills until after the Underdark so it kinda makes sense, I had awful high level.
I think you're right about this one. I recall meeting a lich there when playing a solo game, whereas my party - much lower in level at that time - didn't get one. I thought at that time it was Tactics, as my party game was unmodded, but level scaling would explain it.

Orobis

Arcane
Sychophantic Noob

I think you're right about this one. I recall meeting a lich there when playing a solo game, whereas my party - much lower in level at that time - didn't get one. I thought at that time it was Tactics, as my party game was unmodded, but level scaling would explain it.
That's weird, in all my playthrough's i have never seen this happen, with or without SCS.

hell bovine

Arcane
You have to be really high level, but now that I've googled it, the walkthrough at sorcerers.net has the location it appears at marked. I think it's not the only bonus lich you can meet.

SwiftCrack

Arcane
You can definitely get a lich in some fights if you are high level where you might get a basic mummy or whatever else if you were lower level.

The thing is these are unnamed basic baby liches (compared to the named ones in the game anyway) and they are not even that big of a deal because they appear at levels where you can smite them with ease.

Theldaran

Liturgist
You can definitely get a lich in some fights if you are high level where you might get a basic mummy or whatever else if you were lower level.

The thing is these are unnamed basic baby liches (compared to the named ones in the game anyway) and they are not even that big of a deal because they appear at levels where you can smite them with ease.

They still provide a good amount of experience, I recall 18000 but may be wrong. Of course, by then that's just the pennies experience wise.

Ivan

Arcane
I was referring to the lich whose body you have to gather.

also, could someone explain why I can't add more points to a weapon proficiency slot? does it have to do with a particular level? sometimes I'm able to add up to 3 to say, 2 handed or 1 handed, but I can't increase, say, long sword, or katana

also, is it "ok" then to only have 1 prof point in a weapon i'm going to be using if that's the limit for that particular character?

Last edited:

agris

Arcane
Patron
This is something I feel Shadows of Amn does incredibly well, and something I feel often gets overlooked. Fucking awesome loot. Like that talking two-handed sword, or the Mace of Disruption that instagibs undead targets. I've always felt like the weapons and items in this game feel like they were designed by a GM as something sweet and unique for his players, as opposed to just a collection of modifiers.

BG1/2's itemization really shines. I love how it lets you change playstyles for a given class just by swapping what they're using. It's something that no other game has really nailed, that I'm aware of. Even D1/2 don't quite get it since the items are mostly randomly generated, not the pencil sketches and background stories found in the BGs.

santino27

Arcane
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.

also, could someone explain why I can't add more points to a weapon proficiency slot? does it have to do with a particular level? sometimes I'm able to add up to 3 to say, 2 handed or 1 handed, but I can't increase, say, long sword, or katana

also, is it "ok" then to only have 1 prof point in a weapon i'm going to be using if that's the limit for that particular character?

It's primarily a result of your class/kit... some classes can't go more then one pip (proficiency) in a given weapon, but can go two (or even three, for swashbucklers and dual-wielding) in weapon style. Multi-class fighter types can generally go to two pips (specialized) in a weapon type. Only fighters/dual-class fighters can go more than two pips, although dual classing makes some of the rules implementations more confusing.

Some of this is explained in your character's kit info page on the record sheet. :)

Anyway, one pip is plenty for spell casters (and that's all they get anyway), but in general, I try focus my meleers on weapons they can better use. Depending on the mods you use, mastery or grand mastery can be pretty significant.

Last edited:

SwiftCrack

Arcane

That's one of the most powerful enemies in the game, and the random lich dudes that you might encounter on a high level are weaker than him by a mile.

Ivan

Arcane
:hahyou:
that's why I keep Yojimbo around

so yeah. having a blast completing all the quests I can before paying the guild. interesting how you can't "find" locales in the map.

Somberlain

Arcane
Zionist Agent

That's weird, in all my playthrough's i have never seen this happen, with or without SCS.

Most (all?) dungeons have certain spots where a level-dependent monster group spawns and highest level undead spawns include generic liches. SCS has an option of tweaking these spawns but they are in vanilla game as well.

Ivan

Arcane
DAYSTAR :love:

fuck off Vampires. this was the only quest I was afraid I would have to put on hold until later on. but fuck ya

Theldaran

Liturgist
If you want it the cheesy way... Scroll of Protection vs. Undead. Though, that's better reserved for the demilich.

hell bovine

Arcane
First of all - keep those spoilers under a tag, he is playing for the first time. Second - with SCS those scrolls won't work against the most powerful undead anyway. (or at least they shouldn't, from what I recall, but I had the BG2 challenges installed)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom