Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate: Siege of Dragonspear Pre-Release Thread

Melcar

Arcane
I were always surprised by Shadow Thieves abducting me at beginning of BG2, as I recall we parted on good terms in Baldur's Gate thieves guild quest. No fucking honour among tea leaves I suppose.

No honor, just like a bunch of women. That's why I always kill them.

Anyway, this shit is pointless. They should have EE'd fucking IWDII.

Rostere

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 RPG Wokedex Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
This is a day 1 purchase for simply because I support the crazy idea of making more Infinity Engine games.

:d1p:
At least with the inclusion of Chris Avellone as a consultant I can hope for decent writing, and legitimately buy the game because I intend to play it, and not just because I find it funny that they are making it in IE.

Oh, and if there were new games made in the Gold Box engine, I'd buy those as well, even if they were made by Beamdog. The guys at Beamdog seem like a likeable bunch, apart from their Biowarian proclivity for romance.

MilesBeyond

Cipher
This has set me on the same rollercoaster as the Hobbit movies. When I first heard they were going to be three movies with Peter Jackson providing his own stories, I was like "Man what that's the dumbest thing I've ever heard. It's glorified fan-fiction." But then after a bit I actually warmed up to the idea. Middle Earth has thousands of stories in it, and enough detail to provide material for untold more. Maybe this could be really interesting. Maybe we'll see Aragorn's time in the north, or the Dwarves retaking Moria - or something entirely new. But nope, rather than the Hobbit and then two other movies, it was literally just the Hobbit stretched into three movies with a bunch of pointless crap.

That's how I felt about this. At first I thought a BG3 sounded stupid, but then I thought of all the things they could do with it. Maybe you could play as a young Gorion, just starting out - or an adventurer in Amn trying to block Sarevok's stirrings to war there. Maybe you could even play as Sarevok himself, as his rise to power. Or perhaps you could play as the child of CHARNAME and their love interest, trying to find your way in a world where you're the scion of a demigod. There were a million different stories to be told that would still tie in with the Baldur's Gate series - and yet they're doing some lame interquel.

I hope I'm wrong.

Tigranes

Arcane
This is a day 1 purchase for simply because I support the crazy idea of making more Infinity Engine games.

:d1p:
At least with the inclusion of Chris Avellone as a consultant I can hope for decent writing, and legitimately buy the game because I intend to play it, and not just because I find it funny that they are making it in IE.

Oh, and if there were new games made in the Gold Box engine, I'd buy those as well, even if they were made by Beamdog. The guys at Beamdog seem like a likeable bunch, apart from their Biowarian proclivity for romance.

You think Avellone as "consultant" guarantees anything about the quality of the writing? By that logic everything Obsidian wrote until 2015 should have been liquid gold, and we know that's not true.

I don't need this game to have wonderful writing, really. It just needs to be a good old IE romp made in a similar style with a few improvements. We'll see if they can achieve that.

neucifer

Novice
I know deep in my soul that it can't possibly do the series justice, but fuck it, I'm gonna play this game.

ROARRR

Savant
Possibly Retarded
SjaV2BN.jpg

BUT
P0G860l.gif

Because
iFz7T3y.jpg

Problem fixed!

Delterius

Arcane

ROARRR

Savant
Possibly Retarded

hell bovine

Arcane
Or perhaps you could play as the child of CHARNAME and their love interest
This is something I would love to play!:greatjob:
You mean roleplaying the trauma of being stuffed into Aerie's backpack as a kid? Or being named little Quayle?
Nah, before you start the game you say who was your mama or papa. And your parents gave you the name you as gamer choose:D
Nah, a generic Charname is a far less interesting character concept than little Quayle, who sets out to take revenge on the cruel world, which made him suffer through the indignities of being stuffed into a backpack as a kid.

MilesBeyond

Cipher
Nah, before you start the game you say who was your mama or papa. And your parents gave you the name you as gamer choose:D

And it's a first-person view of you being expelled from your mom's bloody vagina, and your dad brings in a Diviner to let you pick what you'll look like as an adult, and then your mom dies. If that's not the start to a world-class RPG, I don't know what is.

Rostere

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 RPG Wokedex Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
You think Avellone as "consultant" guarantees anything about the quality of the writing?

No, but I said that I was going to buy it anyway, and MCA as a consultant at least gives the illusion of hope for better content. So when I buy it I can at least pretend I bought it because MCA was on it and I'm interested in the writing.

rado907

Savant
I love Baldur's Gate and recently played these Enhanced Editions and even liked them (mostly cuz I could get them on Steam and have HD & zoom...) but let's face it - this turkey ain't going to be Thanksgiving material.

Seari

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Wait... isn't the new shaman class basically a totemic druid... They both cast druid spells and summon spirits from what I read.

Athelas

Arcane
Torment EE with awesome new companions.
*shivers* Uh, I suppose it is good that they don't have plans to make PS:T EE.
Barring any legal troubles, I don't see how it's anything but inevitable. We are talking about a company whose catalogue consists mainly of rereleases of IE games and a game built with IE assets.

PST:EE could also be their best-selling one, if PS:T's number-one status on GOG is any indication.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
This made me wonder...has anyone ever played through the BG games with his character called CHARNAME?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom