Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate: Siege of Dragonspear Pre-Release Thread

Tigranes

Arcane
Torment EE with awesome new companions.
*shivers* Uh, I suppose it is good that they don't have plans to make PS:T EE.
Barring any legal troubles, I don't see how it's anything but inevitable. We are talking about a company whose catalogue consists mainly of rereleases of IE games and a game built with IE assets.

PST:EE could also be their best-selling one, if PS:T's number-one status on GOG is any indication.

Theres zero reason not tp do it if you are beamdog. Theyve already proven that they can make money this way selling snake oil - even to codexers. Watch this space for codex posts asking how to win the romance with Fleur the sensitive Deva-blooded and save her from the denizens of Curst.

agris

Arcane
Patron
Regarding PST:EE, it's a classic cost-benefit analysis. They've mentioned multiple times that the version of the IE for PST is significantly different than the BG games. Whatever programming and art resources are needed to update the PST version of the IE to bring it in line with the other EEs, they need to expect sales in significant excess of those costs to net a profit. More than that, they need to deliver value in the form of added content to PST to make the purchase compelling for new and old players. I think companions for a romp-n-stomp game like BG1/2 is a lot different than companions or quest content for a story-heavy game like PST, and Beamdog might not be comfortable making content in that mold.

Neanderthal

Arcane
Aye it could be a right abortion if somebody who doesn't get the setting tries and add shit in to Torment, only one i'd trust to do it justice is Avellone (or maybe Tim Cain) himself. Certainly the characters i've seen introduced in to those BGEE's have not reassured me, and it seems like they haven't even sorted out the most irritating features of the IE games.

Blackguard

Learned

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Sounds like SoD could be the end of Beamdog:
Trent Oster said:
“We’ve made a big bet on it, there’s no question,” Oster says. “If it’s a failure, it doesn’t mean the end of us outright, but it probably means some pretty hard discussions.”
source: http://www.edmontonjournal.com/bank...ir+future+BioWare+classic/11205570/story.html

In that article Trent also says that BGEE has sold over 1 million copies. :retarded:

He said the same in the RPS interview. Mobile: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/baldurs-gate-enhanced-edition/id515114051
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.beamdog.baldursgateenhancededition

ArchAngel

Arcane
Sounds like SoD could be the end of Beamdog:
Trent Oster said:
“We’ve made a big bet on it, there’s no question,” Oster says. “If it’s a failure, it doesn’t mean the end of us outright, but it probably means some pretty hard discussions.”
source: http://www.edmontonjournal.com/bank...ir+future+BioWare+classic/11205570/story.html

In that article Trent also says that BGEE has sold over 1 million copies. :retarded:
It was the top selling RPG on mobiles for a while.

Mexi

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
From the sound of the interview, are they getting together the original voice actors from the games? Would be pretty cool; although, I absolutely hate Minsc. First thing I'm doing is booting his ass from my party.

It's a mystery how people like Minsc and Jan so much. Both characters ssssuuuuckkkked.

Delterius

Arcane
Its only a mystery if you look at this from the point of view of someone who worships Baldur's Gate writing.

BG1 NPCs are quasi characters with very little content tied to them, just enough to define an Extreme Personality. The player will either love or hate them and fill the gaps on their own. Even BG2 doesn't really compare to the level of party dialogue that, say, Dragon Age dumps on the player. This sort of 'minimal storytelling' is fairly common in videogames, especially outside the RPG genre's tendencies to be overly verbose.

ROARRR

Savant
Possibly Retarded
From the sound of the interview, are they getting together the original voice actors from the games? Would be pretty cool; although, I absolutely hate Minsc. First thing I'm doing is booting his ass from my party.

It's a mystery how people like Minsc and Jan so much. Both characters ssssuuuuckkkked.
I also think minsc is not funny, but in combination with Lilacor( a speaking two hander) he is hilarious.
Actually I like the good alignment chars only partly. What I like is that they are helpful but their self-righteousness pisses me off!
The neutral alignment is ok but their loyalty is always blurred!
And finally the evil chars. I like their dialogues but they take shit always too serious!
Resume: Alignment is shit!

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
We are aware that a lot of players have been requesting this.
No offense, but this is the type of marketing PR bullshit we are fed by AAA publishers. :D Beamdog is really learning from the best kind of devs. :P

roshan

Arcane
aVENGER it's been two years and no release of Ascension for BG2EE yet. You guys had promised that it would be available upon release of BG2.

aVENGER

Arcane
Developer
aVENGER it's been two years and no release of Ascension for BG2EE yet. You guys had promised that it would be available upon release of BG2.

I've already given you my thoughts on that.

In addition, I will say that while individual EE team members may have their own mod side-projects, those activities should not be confused with official Beamdog work. I always put that disclaimer in my mods nowadays, just like David Gaider did back when he made Ascension.

Shevek

Arcane
Ascension is pretty much a standard part of the BG2 experience. Its kinda hard to have faith in you guys making a brand spanking new game if you cant get that to work. I mean, I bought IWDEE and random Gibberlings3 mods were included standard but you dont include Ascension for BG2? Really?

Also, what ever happened to improved weapon set implementation? That was promised years ago - prior to and after release if memory serves.

You guys have to build up some cred if you want folks to have faith in your ability to have mastered the engine, tools and skills enough to make an installment in one of the popular crpg franchises ever.

Last edited:

aVENGER

Arcane
Developer
Ascension is pretty much a standard part of the BG2 experience. Its kinda hard to have faith in you guys making a brand spanking new game if you cant get that to work. I mean, I bought IWDEE and random Gibberlings3 mods were included standard but you dont include Ascension for BG2?

Ascension introduces several changes the last portion of Throne of Bhaal, both in terms of plot and gameplay. Those changes are an integral part of Ascension's main component and aren't optional. On the other hand, the extra content that was integrated into IWD:EE can easily be ignored if one chooses to do so. In short, we didn't feel it was right to force Ascension's non-optional changes on all BGII:EE players which is why we didn't integrate it into the base game.

Around the time the game was released, a member of the BGII:EE team wanted to make an updated version of the Ascension mod which would be compatible with it. To clarify, that was his own personal project and not something that Beamdog committed to as a company.

Shevek

Arcane
Not including Ascension, even as an option on install, was a mistake. That dev, probably promised to do it since deep down he knew the project would be incomplete without it. I mean, there are mods of that mod, man. Do a poll of experienced BG2 players and asked them this: what is more obtrusive, Ascension or Hexxat?

https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/28102/the-tragedy-of-hexxat

Also... weapon sets?
https://forums.beamdog.com/discussi...le-hotbar-quickslots-dual-wielding-swap-issue

https://forums.beamdog.com/discussi...pable-weapon-sets-not-get-implemented-in-bgee

aVENGER

Arcane
Developer
Also... weapon sets?

The comments in those threads clarify that, at the time, this wasn't an easy change to make without breaking compatibility.

That said, the engine has had significant upgrades since 2012, so things may be a bit different now. We are certainly aware that this is a popular player request.

Somberlain

Arcane
Zionist Agent
No offense, but this is the type of marketing PR bullshit we are fed by AAA publishers. :D Beamdog is really learning from the best kind of devs. :P

It sounds more like he doesn't want to promise anything that he cannot guarantee. AFAIK, aVENGER isn't the CEO of Beamdog who gets to decide what ultimately ends up in the game.

ArchAngel

Arcane

It sounds more like he doesn't want to promise anything that he cannot guarantee. AFAIK, aVENGER isn't the CEO of Beamdog who gets to decide what ultimately ends up in the game.
So he can ask someone that can make such decision and then comment. We get nothing by him saying nothing

Somberlain

Arcane
Zionist Agent
It may not have been decided yet. Anyway, I guess people will be butthurt either way. If aVENGER had responded nothing, people would whine about him ignoring them and if he doesn't give a definitive answer (which may not even exist yet), people whine about that too.

ArchAngel

Arcane
It may not have been decided yet. Anyway, I guess people will be butthurt either way. If aVENGER had responded nothing, people would whine about him ignoring them and if he doesn't give a definitive answer (which may not even exist yet), people whine about that too.
From what I read here, it has been asked for for years, how can it not be decided?!

Now they got a new expansion coming that will already be making lots of changes, if these changes are in he should know about it. If not he should know about it. These crappy politician answers are no good here.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom