Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate: Siege of Dragonspear Pre-Release Thread

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Which is not a problem in BG's economy.

Doesn't matter, still a resource being consumed. :M

Wands cost thousands so it's not something you can do in the early game and I suppose if you use a wand in almost every fight it's going to put quite the dent in your funds.

Delterius

Arcane
What is the difference between the difficulty settings? Is it just enemy numbers and stats, or does their behavior change too?

See here.

There's a bit more than that, but that's the crux of it.
That sounds like what I'm looking for in games. I'll give it a try when it comes out. :) (Do you need just BGEE for this? If so, will you sell it as a bundle?)
Seconded. I mean, BG2EE is half off right now on Steam but BG1EE isn't. Should I play SoD for... professional codexian community building purposes... I want to know what's going on in the bundling department.

hell bovine

Arcane
Which is not a problem in BG's economy.

Doesn't matter, still a resource being consumed. :M

Wands cost thousands so it's not something you can do in the early game and I suppose if you use a wand in almost every fight it's going to put quite the dent in your funds.
Not really, wands were my preferred method of dealing with enemies in BG1, e.g. if aimed right, one shot of wand of lightning could decimate entire groups in close quarters because of the bouncing effect. Quicker than wasting time to prepare the entire party, only to watch them get stuck due to terrible pathfinding. And you could do it even in the early game (that's what I did after discovering that you can just rob those giant insects with a priest).
Isn't the store thing an obvious exploit anyway?
Why? Recharging items by sticking them into bags, that was an exploit. But I don't think the option to recharge wands in stores was introduced to BG1 by accident. And even if you didn't want to recharge them, that shop in the BG city sold plenty of them.
edit: http://baldursgate.wikia.com/wiki/Sorcerous_Sundries
yep, infinite wand stocks

Last edited:

aVENGER

Arcane
Developer
That sounds like what I'm looking for in games. I'll give it a try when it comes out. :) (Do you need just BGEE for this? If so, will you sell it as a bundle?)

SoD does require BG:EE since it's an expansion and not a standalone game. This is similar to how ToB required BG2 back in the day

I can't really comment on bundles and sales at this time, but keep an eye on our blog for news and announcements.

It's going to be hilarious if Siege of Dragonspear will be better than PoE.

there is no doubt in my mind it will be better than PoE and I also think it will do far better than most people are thinking it will do. I think it will end up being an enormous hit and will easily justify more content from Beamdog.

I would love for somebody to just make all the old school modules in the infinity engine and let you take a party through them in any fashion one desired. I really think such a thing would be a huge, huge hit and would not require a new game engine and be fairly easy to do design wise... of course the major obstacle is probably wizards of the coast or whoever owns D&D now. But I would throw endless money at such releases.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
This could be amusing to watch.

there is no doubt in my mind it will be better than PoE and I also think it will do far better than most people are thinking it will do. I think it will end up being an enormous hit and will easily justify more content from Beamdog.

I would love for somebody to just make all the old school modules in the infinity engine and let you take a party through them in any fashion one desired. I really think such a thing would be a huge, huge hit and would not require a new game engine and be fairly easy to do design wise... of course the major obstacle is probably wizards of the coast or whoever owns D&D now. But I would throw endless money at such releases.

How do you define "enormous hit"?

Old D&D modules in infinity engine would suck harder than TOEE.

I would prefer it in the ToEE engine. But I think it would sell better with IE. It would be a runaway hit and not take much resources to develop especially if you take into account the amount invested vs. the amount returned. No matter what you think of it (its obvious you have poor tast since ToEE is the best D&D combat engine ever made) it would make huge amount of money for whoever did it.

In fact it makes me want to try and form a company who only focused on this product. But I imagine there is some real world issue why this is not being done because it is just too obvious and easy.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
TOEE is the best D&D CRPG engine demo ever made indeed.

Also the issue might be that tabletop modules translate poorly to computer romps. Case in point TOEE.

This could be amusing to watch.

How do you define "enormous hit"?

I just think the return on investment vs. the amount expended would be very good. I don't have a good feel for numbers, but I would think each module could get $15 and sell at least 150,000 copies if not much more. Also I am guessing that if a company like beamdog just concentrated on releasing module after module they could release 2 a year, with about 20-25 hours content in each one? Maybe only one a year, but I am thinking they would streamline the process and become very efficient doing so... I am just pulling numbers out of my ass.

TOEE is the best D&D CRPG engine demo ever made indeed.

Also the issue might be that tabletop modules translate poorly to computer romps. Case in point TOEE.

Maybe but I envision a system where you have a central town and each module you buy add on becomes a location you can go to from central town/base...I think ToEE is not a great module for the computer maybe. Maybe I am wrong though and people would not like it because not enough 'story' or something.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I just think the return on investment vs. the amount expended would be very good. I don't have a good feel for numbers, but I would think each module could get $15 and sell at least 150,000 copies if not much more. Also I am guessing that if a company like beamdog just concentrated on releasing module after module they could release 2 a year, with about 20-25 hours content in each one? Maybe only one a year, but I am thinking they would streamline the process and become very efficient doing so... I am just pulling numbers out of my ass.

Probably. :M

The attempted rise of Beamdog to Major RPG Power continues: http://blog.beamdog.com/2016/02/announcing-familiar.html

Announcing The Familiar!

[Imagine a drumroll here.]

Today we’re pleased to present Beamdog's first digital publication, The Familiar! We partnered with Dialect (creators of Dragon+) to develop this quarterly (or approximately quarterly) app with industry interviews, fiction, contests, Beamdog exclusives, and everything else you didn't know you needed to know about the CRPG industry.

How much does all this incredible content cost, you ask? The answer is nothing! You can downloadThe Familiar for FREE as an app from the iTunes App Store or GooglePlay.

Our inaugural issue is available right now and takes a look at the state of the CRPG industry, from our own Baldur’s Gate: Enhanced Edition to n-Space’s Sword Coast Legends. We also have a step-by-step guide for adding custom portraits to the Enhanced Edition games plus two beautiful free portraits. (The installation process is different for every platform, so if you’ve been wondering how to bring over your Drizzt portrait to your Galaxy S5, you’ll definitely want to take a look.)

Most excitingly (to me, at least, cause I wrote it) there’s a piece of original short fiction about Schael Corwin, one of the new NPCs in the upcoming Siege of Dragonspear. Oh, and check out the amazing cover art by Heather Hudson!

Seriously, how great is this dragon?

There’s a lot to love in this issue, too much really to talk about here. So I'll stop trying. The app is free! Check it out and see for yourself!

The next issue of the Familiar is scheduled to release in late March with cover-to-cover Siege of Dragonspear info.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Okay, imma install this shit to my phone. Let's see what they have here.

It's more than just the magazine, it's also a little Beamdog portal with the latest news from their site and social media, etc. You have to download the magazine from within the app.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
It's more than just the magazine, it's also a little Beamdog portal with the latest news from their site and social media, etc. You have to download the magazine from within the app.
Hmm would be cool if somebody had invented something that you could use to browse apps like that from any machine without needing to download a different specific one from each publisher...Like you'd just put the name and get the content from the one you want.

Trodat

Arcane
Patron
Those two new portraits are pretty nice.

101038614-0.png

101038614-2.png

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom