Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Baldur's Gate Baldur's Gate: Siege of Dragonspear Pre-Release Thread

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
She's the only decent woman portrait in BG2, leave her be.

Ninjerk

Arcane
aerie.jpg

:prosper:

eremita

Savant
My attitude towards Bemadog changed a lot lately. I bitched about EE's, but they got a lot better now. I mean those guys are patching the games three years after the release and that's pretty cool. I recently replayed the first game and I wouldn't go back to the original version anymore.

But more importantly, as Infinitron said (don't know where, not gonna look for the quote), the team showed SoD to Oster and he actually said that it's too linear. Too. Linear. CEO said that. ... What kind of suit says shit like that? Well, not all of them bosses are suits it seems. Not even Fergus would do that. Maybe Swen, but I don't know... The point is, there's a tremendous potential in this company. Maybe they will get Avellone on board and started working on BG3 (they have Brent Knowles and Gaider on board too with bunch of modders who know BG series inside out)? Now that would be fucking great. After all, Trent seems to be the real deal... Beamdog might transform into the old Bioware I used to love.

But the future of this company now probably lies in the reception of SoD...

I remember conversation with someone right after the release of the Dragon Age Inquisition that no company is ever gonna make a game like BG2 anymore( and it seemd they were right). The industry has changed, they said. I'm not so sure now. Larian/Beamdog might pull that off...

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Don't get too excited - saying an RPG is too linear is a lot like saying it's too short/small, which is something CEOs have been known to say (including Feargus recently about White March Part 1). I'm pretty sure he wasn't referring to an Age of Decadence type of non-linearity, just that there wasn't enough content to explore in the game.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
My attitude towards Bemadog changed a lot lately. I bitched about EE's, but they got a lot better now. I mean those guys are patching the games three years after the release and that's pretty cool. I recently replayed the first game and I wouldn't go back to the original version anymore.

But more importantly, as Infinitron said (don't know where, not gonna look for the quote), the team showed SoD to Oster and he actually said that it's too linear. Too. Linear. CEO said that. ... What kind of suit says shit like that? Well, not all of them bosses are suits it seems. Not even Fergus would do that. Maybe Swen, but I don't know... The point is, there's a tremendous potential in this company. Maybe they will get Avellone on board and started working on BG3 (they have Brent Knowles and Gaider on board too with bunch of modders who know BG series inside out)? Now that would be fucking great. After all, Trent seems to be the real deal... Beamdog might transform into the old Bioware I used to love.

But the future of this company now probably lies in the reception of SoD...

I remember conversation with someone right after the release of the Dragon Age Inquisition that no company is ever gonna make a game like BG2 anymore( and it seemd they were right). The industry has changed, they said. I'm not so sure now. Larian/Beamdog might pull that off...
Patches fixing a bunch of stuff that was working in the originals, and that they fucked up in the EE's.

Adding features that no one asked for, adding original content that detracted from the experience instead of adding to it.

The best EE they did was the one they decided to fuck with the least, IWD.

Lets see how this turns out, but I suspect there will be a KS down the line.

pippin

SoD was never meant to be long and/or open. The fact that they announced it as an "interquel" said a lot imo. It's supposed to happen bewteen BG1 and 2.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
I recently replayed the first game and I wouldn't go back to the original version anymore.

The original still has its charm (that is, without Tutu, BGT or EE making things EZ mode).

The industry has changed, they said. I'm not so sure now. Larian/Beamdog might pull that off...

Beamdog should move on to NWN.

Echo Mirage

Arcane
I recently replayed the first game and I wouldn't go back to the original version anymore.

The original still has its charm (that is, without Tutu, BGT or EE making things EZ mode).

The industry has changed, they said. I'm not so sure now. Larian/Beamdog might pull that off...

Beamdog should move on to NWN.

A dance with rogues: Enhanced edition.

:troll:

Shadenuat

Arcane
How are they going to deal with XP cap if it's interquel between BG1 & 2?

Also locations on some of the screenshots (not those what I assume either Bhaal temple or dorf city) are butt ugly just like in BG1 EE.

Also lol at diablo healthbars. Need dat a lot in games with 4 hit dice wizards and constant vo'ed barks.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
Absolutely disgusting website.

Thousands upon thousands of lines of javascript in what could just be static html pages with CSS. The future we chose.

Last edited:

Delterius

Arcane
That I know. According to members of their forums, the devs said that Thieves and Bards should reach level 12 in SoD. This would mean at least a 441k EXP cap as opposed to TotSC's 161k or Base BG2's starting experience of 89k -- most everyone gets two more levels while Clerics, Rangers and Paladins only get one. Considering BG2's EXP rewards, this isn't that much but they do want to adapt things and have considered upping the difficulty of Irenicus' lair.

One simple suggestion I've heard is to slightly lower BG2's initial EXP rewards to smooth the transition on top of making the beginning of the game a bit harder.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
Yesterday they did welcome reception to new students and made me realize people born after Fallout are old enough to be in university.

agris

Arcane
Patron
That I know. According to members of their forums, the devs said that Thieves and Bards should reach level 12 in SoD. This would mean at least a 441k EXP cap as opposed to TotSC's 161k or Base BG2's starting experience of 89k -- most everyone gets two more levels while Clerics, Rangers and Paladins only get one. Considering BG2's EXP rewards, this isn't that much but they do want to adapt things and have considered upping the difficulty of Irenicus' lair.

One simple suggestion I've heard is to slightly lower BG2's initial EXP rewards to smooth the transition on top of making the beginning of the game a bit harder.
I never could finish BG:EE but I'm going to soldier on to play SoD. One solution to the experience / difficulty problem is ding0's experience fixer. As of 7.0 it procedurally alters the XP awards from quests / creatures so I think it's compatible with all the EE releases.

I just wonder: will SCS support SoD out of the gate?

edit: also, for the crazy XP awarded for disarming traps and learning spells, which fucks up the difficulty curve in the first quarter of BG1, aTweak's Improved XP rewards from locks, traps and scrolls is the solution (under gameplay tweaks).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom