Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Icewind Dale Beamdog's Icewind Dale: Enhanced Edition

SarcasticUndertones

Prospernaut
That's a little childish man. BGEE at release was yeah, kind of terrible but they kept on improving it. BG1EE 1.3 is pretty solid IMO anyway and if I understand correctly they are still intend on improving it in the future with more features and hopefully more bug fixing.

OK, since you seem to be in the mood for name calling, have a few for you, read my mind.

BG:EE has been released since November 28, 2012, two bloody years, and it still isn't perfect, .. and yes, I do use the word 'perfect' because that's the only state it'll ever be acceptable in ESPECIALLY as it was only supposed to be being fixed.. not made from scratch. I say stop development on anything new for it or other projects and fix what is there.

How long do we have to actually wait before the spewing apologists.. just..simply..stop? How long is too long?

It might be acceptable to you as is, meh for low expectations, but do not, especially not within my earshot because I write shit like this, namecall or downcry someone for expecting what was advertised and/or what they paid for.

Childish little man? At least that 'childish little man' isn't part of the problem.

No-one paid for this game to have their dick pulled for two years.

Last edited:

Abelian

Somebody's Alt
Childish little man? At least that 'childish little man' isn't part of the problem.
Just to clear things up: he didn't call you "a little childish man", but rather that "your response was a little childish, man". Punctuation makes a lot of difference.

SarcasticUndertones

Prospernaut
Just to clear things up: he didn't call you "a little childish man", but rather that "your response was a little childish, man". Punctuation makes a lot of difference.

I doubt (don't give a toss, either) if it was me he was talking to at all, further muddied by random insult without a quote, but someone (i think I know, but it's not up to me to do the pointing) got it due to a deserved displeasure at Beamdog that he didn't feel.

Anyway because it wasn't me, it matters right?

No. Me or anyone else, same result. If you're gonna climb all over someone who's got every right to feel the way they do with the simple justification that you don't want them to feel that way, you're going to get swatted like a fly, and if I'm the one in earshot it's probably going to be me that does it.

Oh, and what has Punctuation got do do with anything? "That's a little childish man." is quite the definitive statement with little wobble room for interpretation. So before you decide to white knight someone, which I don't mind in the least, make sure you're grasping all of the straw.

I do, however, notice that Xeon, rather than address my post himself, and if someone wrote something like this to me and was wrong, I'd verbally stomp all over them, simply brofists you even though you're holding the blunt end of the stick.

It's all rather amusing to be honest.

Xeon

Augur
You see for some reason you kinda want to pick a fight in the internet no less or just want to argue for no fucking good reason, which is kinda of a childish, man (Thanks, Abelian).

I replayed to purpleblob for his comment "I want them to go out of business so they can stop ruining my favourite game series ever." and I thought he was getting anal just because of the original BG1EE release and I was wrong and I apologized for the misunderstanding.

Reason I didn't replay to you, it was because "Childish little man? At least that 'childish little man' isn't part of the problem." you kinda changed the order of the words and made it a little worse so I didn't want to replay to you in case you were a troll. That's about it, If you are not then I am sorry and if you are and just want to argue then have fun I guess.

Lonely Vazdru

Pimp my Title
Difficult? No.
It does increase difficulty since many enemies can't be hit by normal arrows/bolts/bullets and having few magic ones forces you to either go melee with your ranged fighters time and again, or micromanage the shit out of them, if you don't want to run out of magic ammo when they're really needed. Unlimited supply sure makes it easier.
I just replayed the game and I was constantly running out of magic arows. Magic bullets and bolts can be found and saved, well... relatively easily (given the low rate of fire), but getting a reliable supply of magic arrows before HoW's Lonelywood is nothing more than a wet dream, the more so if you have more than one archer. It did piss me off and I Dalekeeped in a couple of stacks, but I stopped soon enough since having two archers firing magic arrows like machineguns turned the game too close to popamole for my liking.

Last edited:

Shevek

Arcane
See, I think not being able to hit enemies without X level enchantment on arrows was just unfair to archer archetypes. Melee can hit them all day as soon as they find the right weapon but my ranged dude sucks against all the challenging enemies unless he hoardes every single magic arrow and uses them with care... Doesn't feel right. I wouldn't DM a pnp game that way. It would make the archer character feel like a waste of space. So, screw that. Quiver of Plenty +1 for me.

Deuce Traveler

2012 Newfag
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
You do realise there's a huge difference between adding few new features into existing game and developing a new game from the scratch, right? BG2 is an absolute masterpiece - if anyone wants to develop a sequel, the expectation will be VERY high.

Plus, Bhaalspawn story ended with ToB. How are they going to continue the story without sounding forced and silly?

If Beamdog decides to actually make the cancelled BG III: The Black Hound using leftover notes and story boards, and does a halfway decent job of it, then I will sing praises. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baldur's_Gate_III:_The_Black_Hound

Lonely Vazdru

Pimp my Title
The game would not have been a sequel to Baldur's Gate II in terms of story but rather gameplay, however, it did continue part of story of Icewind Dale II through joinable NPC's, specifically Maralie Fiddlebender, who would have been an adult in the story. There was a hound featured in the storybook of Icewind Dale II of which Maralie narrated, according to the developers, the game would have revolved around this hound
Then make it Icewind Dale III you greedy bastards, it's not like the gameplay is any different between the two games. Leave Bhaalspawn alone !

Abelian

Somebody's Alt
I doubt (don't give a toss, either) if it was me he was talking to at all, further muddied by random insult without a quote, but someone (i think I know, but it's not up to me to do the pointing) got it due to a deserved displeasure at Beamdog that he didn't feel.

Anyway because it wasn't me, it matters right?

No. Me or anyone else, same result. If you're gonna climb all over someone who's got every right to feel the way they do with the simple justification that you don't want them to feel that way, you're going to get swatted like a fly, and if I'm the one in earshot it's probably going to be me that does it.
I didn't notice he replied to purpleblob, since you're the one who took exception to his statement. Bad assumption on my part.

Oh, and what has Punctuation got do do with anything? "That's a little childish man." is quite the definitive statement with little wobble room for interpretation.
And yet you interpreted it the wrong way. Also, I didn't call it Punctuation, like it's some sacrosanct entity; it just happened to be the first word of a sentence. An example of punctuation changing the meaning of a sentence: "woman without her man is nothing" vs "woman: without her, man is nothing".

So before you decide to white knight someone, which I don't mind in the least, make sure you're grasping all of the straw.
That's as ridiculous a statement as me saying that you were white knighting purpleblob.

Xeon [. . .] simply brofists you even though you're holding the blunt end of the stick.
Blunt end of what stick? I just thought you misinterpreted a sentence, making Xeon's comment seem harsher. I've no beef with you.

It's all rather amusing to be honest.
You want to hear amusing? The ironic thing is that I would rather agree with you that Beamdog's Enhanced Editions are superfluous, especially since the originals are cheaper and fully customizable with mods.

In fact, if you would have read the entire thread, you would have read several sarcastic remarks I made at the EE's expense.

purpleblob

Savant
The game would not have been a sequel to Baldur's Gate II in terms of story but rather gameplay, however, it did continue part of story of Icewind Dale II through joinable NPC's, specifically Maralie Fiddlebender, who would have been an adult in the story. There was a hound featured in the storybook of Icewind Dale II of which Maralie narrated, according to the developers, the game would have revolved around this hound
Then make it Icewind Dale III you greedy bastards, it's not like the gameplay is any different between the two games. Leave Bhaalspawn alone !

^That is exactly my thought

Athelas

Arcane
It didn't have anything to do with neither BG nor IWD (apart from some references to the latter); the BG title was chosen probably for marketing purposes.

Melcar

Arcane
Was this bug in the original IWD? My dualed Fighter lvl 7 -> Cleric was able to Grandmaster Maces. She was able to add proficiency points beyond Mastery after she got her Fighter levels back.

aleph

Arcane
Was this bug in the original IWD? My dualed Fighter lvl 7 -> Cleric was able to Grandmaster Maces. She was able to add proficiency points beyond Mastery after she got her Fighter levels back.

I don't know about IWD but I recall I could Grandmaster Axes in BGII with a dualclassed Fighter -> Mage.

Melcar

Arcane
I'm pretty sure you couldn't add stars to a weapon prof/style once you stopped leveling as a fighter (beyond what the new class normally allows). A lvl 9 fighter could get GM and carry it over to their new class, but a lvl 3 Fighter could never hope to get GM. A

Lhynn

Arcane
See, I think not being able to hit enemies without X level enchantment on arrows was just unfair to archer archetypes
See, i think melees not being able to hit people without risking an axe ot the face is unfair.

Abelian

Somebody's Alt
See, I think not being able to hit enemies without X level enchantment on arrows was just unfair to archer archetypes
See, i think melees not being able to hit people without risking an axe ot the face is unfair.
See, I think adventurers not being able to fight archers without risking an arrow to the knee is fair.
:troll:

Melcar

Arcane
The item drops have not been changed right? I hate random item drops and I could never get good two handed blades for my Fighters. Should have gone with a dual-wielding Berserker and flails/morningstars. Already got a shocking flail of something and a defender morningstar. My poor Archer had to start learning to use xbows too.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
Best bow in the game is a guaranteed drop from the yuan ti master archer (or sth) and is quite early in the game.

Melcar

Arcane
There are better bows and most of them are random.

Anyway, Disintegrate vs. Finger of Death for my sorcerer. In IWD EE Disintegrate does not disintegrate loot (or so I've read). Works on undead and constructs (not sure about FoD), but lvl 6 spells are far more contested than lvl 7 spells.

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
You playing the game at the moment too Melcar? Have you tried out the Multiplayer? Wanted to test it just for shits and giggles, but couldnt connect to a single game. :|

Finger of Death it would be for me. Playing Sorc too, but it's gonna be a while till I can learn it.

Melcar

Arcane
Multiplayer is for docking. Sorry man, no homo.

I'm leaning towards FoD too, since I can free up 6th lvl spell slots. However, kind of like the idea of disintegrating your opponents over finger fucking them to death. My Goddamn Archer has like 40% of kills. MDKs everything before the rest can get into gear. I'm really thinking HoF is the only way to properly play this game now.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
Actually Sseth's (sp?) closest contender is a guaranteed drop as well, as long as you're willing to murder that poor werewolf ranger.

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
By the way, was this weapon in the vanilla/Black Isle Version of the game?

I found a book with which I could summon a bard and he complained he wants to see his old trusty sword. It can be bought in Kuldahar. If you use the song to summon him again, he upgrades the sword with a +1 Charisma and more Lore I believe. Not sure it's worth the 37k gp I had to pay, but it was cool nonetheless. Plus it's a cool weapon for my bard.

CE0D3386424B52C863487DF315697A84E5D29FEE

6A5060029305FB0B51A0F2136800D4EF143C299C

EB6F9FE9079E026BB9EB7625E8C0763790579DBB

(and yes, "Story mode" is activated in the screenshot because wimpy me couldn't defeat the last boss before and I was drunk playing it last time :M )

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
That sword existed in IWD but the bard deal didn't, it's from http://www.gibberlings3.net/readmes/readme-iu_iwd.html

I popped in this thread to bring attention to the fact that Josh Sawyer has spent more time on IWD:EE than Original Sin or Wasteland 2. Pretty damning of those two things. :smug:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom