Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Icewind Dale Beamdog's Icewind Dale: Enhanced Edition

Xeon

Augur
I checked the list of bug reports and it wasn't listed I think and the only post about it was on GameFaqs, one guy said it probably was for balance reason or something. I don't think I encountered anything like it in BGs tho so I don't know.

I am hoping to use Sanctuary with Turn Undead to kill all Undead without having to actually fight. I saw that tactic in an LP of BGT and IIRC IWD has a lot of Undead enemies I think so I am hoping it will be pretty easy to solo most of the game. I am only concerned about the Spiders and Trolls in the Dragon Eye area, that place was kinda hard with a party so I don't know how hard it will be with only one character. I put Trolls as the Ranger's racial enemy, I hope that helps a little bit.

The quick loot is much better than BGEE's but it still does that thing where if there are a lot of items in the quick loot list and you take an item, it scrolls to the end of the listings which kinda sucks a little. Other than that I kinda wish if they changed the random drop or removed it or something.

Abelian

Somebody's Alt
The area that annoyed me most was Level 3 of Dragon's Eye, which was full of undead.

Melcar

Arcane
That was pretty easy provided you have a high level cleric, or a reckless sorcerer with a bunch of Skull Traps.

Self-Ejected

IncendiaryDevice

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot
That level was great. It had traps, mobile traps, a high level wizard, good loot, plenty of monster varieties. The only downsides to that level are the more trash-mob nature of the Wights and the very slightly over-playing of the mobile trap via a couple too many repetition. The opening fight is a great set-piece challenge and the Wizard fight is a great set-piece challenge. The word "annoyed" requires some qualification to really be useful. I can be annoyed by lots of things in RPGs but it's rare that an entire level just "annoys" me as a flat descriptor.

JrK

Prophet
I think that level is more annoying by virtue of the previous two slog levels of Dragon's Eye with the annoying endless exploding bug waves and the boring lizardmen and the always nasty trolls, during a phase of the game where none of your tanks have a decent AC (early Icewind Dale lacks AC items imo). The Wight fights are pretty cool in comparison (there are only a few fights and your wizard likely just unlocked fireball), but I always get Dragon's Eye fatigue by that level.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
That was pretty easy provided you have a high level cleric, or a reckless sorcerer with a bunch of Skull Traps.

It was easy, fullstop. Even in HoF mode. I know I might seem like an elitist douche, but the truth is you're all just tactically retarded.

:troll:

Abelian

Somebody's Alt
I think that level is more annoying by virtue of the previous two slog levels of Dragon's Eye with the annoying endless exploding bug waves and the boring lizardmen and the always nasty trolls, during a phase of the game where none of your tanks have a decent AC (early Icewind Dale lacks AC items imo). The Wight fights are pretty cool in comparison (there are only a few fights and your wizard likely just unlocked fireball), but I always get Dragon's Eye fatigue by that level.
Pretty much this.

Xeon

Augur
I just finished level 3 and traps are probably the worst so far. I keep falling to traps, I wish if it was possible for summons to trigger traps.

I reached level 10 Cleric and 9 Ranger and have a -8 AC which is pretty good I think. Level 2 of Dragon Eye wasn't that bad, I had to go back to town to buy more fire bombs but overall was kinda easy, I also bought all Free movement and Haste potions and yea so far so good. Now I have to worry about the boss of Dragon Eye. Some Undead started to get destroyed but most just flee which made Level 3 much easier I think.

Money doesn't seem to be an issue, I bought one of each bags except for Ammo and keep selling everything except for most potions. Bought Rogue's Cowl and Shimmering Sash from the wizard. I might go back to town and see if the Smithy has weapons that are effective against Snakes and might buy more potions. I got a War Hammer that's effective against Iron Golems but I don't remember if there were any in IWD.

Xeon

Augur
Man, Fifth level is hard. Yuan-Ti mages are destroying me. I am almost half way to the boss and I must have died 15 times or something just on this floor.

Raise Undead is not as useful like in BGs, Yea, sometimes I get 6 summons per use but man they are just so weak even against mages, they die so fast. They also changed Blade Barrier I think so it doesn't move with you but it locks you in location and removes the Sanctuary effect. Conjuring Animals last for only 4 Turns (I have no idea how long is that but probably pretty short). I spent all my money and bought Hellpick+3 (Warhammer) for 30K+ I think and its not that good. I couldn't find anything useful against Yuan-Tis.

I might lower the difficulty to Core or something or figure out another strategy. Times like these I kinda wish if there ware other locations to explore. Cleric 11 - Ranger 10.

Thank you Lonely Vazdru and Surf Solar.

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Man, Fifth level is hard. Yuan-Ti mages are destroying me. I am almost half way to the boss and I must have died 15 times or something just on this floor.

Raise Undead is not as useful like in BGs, Yea, sometimes I get 6 summons per use but man they are just so weak even against mages, they die so fast. They also changed Blade Barrier I think so it doesn't move with you but it locks you in location and removes the Sanctuary effect. Conjuring Animals last for only 4 Turns (I have no idea how long is that but probably pretty short). I spent all my money and bought Hellpick+3 (Warhammer) for 30K+ I think and its not that good. I couldn't find anything useful against Yuan-Tis.

I might lower the difficulty to Core or something or figure out another strategy. Times like these I kinda wish if there ware other locations to explore. Cleric 11 - Ranger 10.

Thank you Lonely Vazdru and Surf Solar.
You will get stronger undead summons with Animate Dead when you reach a higher cleric level.

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
I got a War Hammer that's effective against Iron Golems but I don't remember if there were any in IWD.
There are two in Lower Dorn's Deep and two more in the final fight. Not worth keeping the hammer.

Plus you can disable the golems in the Dorns Deep without having to fight them.
How? I think i haven't seen this.

While getting the badge from one of the baddies in Dorns Deep (the eastern section IIRC) you find a book in which the word to disable the golems is written. Upon engaging the baddie with the golems, simply select the dialogue option for this then.

Lonely Vazdru

Pimp my Title
I might lower the difficulty to Core or something or figure out another strategy.

I'm not competent on solo runs, I never play like this, but since you're playing cleric are you constantly under "Protection from evil" ? The spell is sort of broken and gives a solid +2 AC and +2 to saving throws while it lasts.

Xeon

Augur
You will get stronger undead summons with Animate Dead when you reach a higher cleric level.
I am not sure if its possible to get an upgraded undead in IWDEE. In BGs, you get told that you'll get an upgraded version of Skeleton Warriors at what levels but in IWD it only says "The priest can animate 1d6 skeletons or zombies in this manner" no mention of an upgrade. I did check to see if I get upgraded versions by cheating level up but no upgraded versions.

I am not sure if this change is by EE or if it is a core change in IWD since I only used to use Clerics as Healers mostly.

Lonely Vazdru said:
I'm not competent on solo runs, I never play like this, but since you're playing cleric are you constantly under "Protection from evil" ? The spell is sort of broken and gives a solid +2 AC and +2 to saving throws while it lasts.
Yea, I am currently using Armor of Faith since it says it absorbs all kinds of Damage and the higher the level the better it gets I think. Protection from Evil which adds +2 to Armor Class and Saving throws but I think it only counts when fighting against enemies with evil alignment since it does not show the increase in AC while in inventory and Draw Upon Holy Might since it adds 3 points to STR, DEX and CON and raise them to 21. thanks to this melee doesn't seem to be a big problem because of my high AC but mages and archers are pretty brutal but especially mages.

Edit:
6oLaEPC.png

ekgwjLO.png

k4xw8b3.png

Last edited:

Rake

Arcane
I got a War Hammer that's effective against Iron Golems but I don't remember if there were any in IWD.
There are two in Lower Dorn's Deep and two more in the final fight. Not worth keeping the hammer.

While getting the badge from one of the baddies in Dorns Deep (the eastern section IIRC) you find a book in which the word to disable the golems is written. Upon engaging the baddie with the golems, simply select the dialogue option for this then.
I recently replayed IWD but i didn't find it. Do you remember where the book is? I don't see myself replaying it so soon just to find it.

Xeon

Augur
I did, These are the things in front of the -9 AC. Buffed with Armor of Faith, Protection Against Evil and Draw Upon Holy Might.

Plate Mail Armor
Armor Class: 3
Dexterity: -5
Black Wolf Talisman: -1
Shimmering Sash: -3
Mantle of the coming Storm: -1
Rogue's Cowl: -2

If the Protection from Evil should be listed then the change is probably from the Devs or a bug.

hell bovine

Arcane
I started a solo Cleric/Ranger and for some reason if you use Sanctuary after the enemies see you, the enemies will follow you wherever you go and surround you. I made a Sorcerer and cheat leveled him up and same thing, they still do that even with Invisibility on. Also I think they follow you even if you send Summons and you are invisible they show up where you are standing and surround you but I am not completely sure.
Funny, because I got the same bug when playing the Tactics mod on BG2, but that was years ago and with the classic game edition, none of the new, fancy stuff.

Melcar

Arcane
I am not sure if its possible to get an upgraded undead in IWDEE. In BGs, you get told that you'll get an upgraded version of Skeleton Warriors at what levels but in IWD it only says "The priest can animate 1d6 skeletons or zombies in this manner" no mention of an upgrade. I did check to see if I get upgraded versions by cheating level up but no upgraded versions.

I am not sure if this change is by EE or if it is a core change in IWD since I only used to use Clerics as Healers mostly.

Lonely Vazdru said:
Yea, I am currently using Armor of Faith since it says it absorbs all kinds of Damage and the higher the level the better it gets I think. Protection from Evil which adds +2 to Armor Class and Saving throws but I think it only counts when fighting against enemies with evil alignment since it does not show the increase in AC while in inventory and Draw Upon Holy Might since it adds 3 points to STR, DEX and CON and raise them to 21. thanks to this melee doesn't seem to be a big problem because of my high AC but mages and archers are pretty brutal but especially mages.

Edit:
6oLaEPC.png

ekgwjLO.png

k4xw8b3.png

I think it does scale by level, but it's still nowhere as powerful as the BG2 version. Summons are useful, but only if you buff them. Haste + emotion spells = dead pretty much anything. You should have gone with a F/M/C triple if you planned to solo. You could have had a much easier time.
If you don't mind reading Gamefags, check out this one. It's pretty comprehensive from a powergaming point of view. It has a small spell section too that describes some of the more useful ones.

Self-Ejected

IncendiaryDevice

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot
They don't change into more powerful undead, they always stay at 1D6 Skeletons, but the weapons they carry improve. It's one of the few cash spams you can grind if you're desperate for cash or flame arrows. They will start using +1(?)/masterwork weapons and flame arrows etc depending on luck.

The protection against evil should only work against evil, but most of the enemies are evil aligned. AFAIK.

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz

I recently replayed IWD but i didn't find it. Do you remember where the book is? I don't see myself replaying it so soon just to find it.

803797E3EC7C502A545835DFDDA5832628C95E5C

I found it in a room in the section of dorns deep where you are attacked by a lot of sneaky thiefes. It's part of the Unfinished Business mod that IWD EE included.

Xeon

Augur
They don't change into more powerful undead, they always stay at 1D6 Skeletons, but the weapons they carry improve. It's one of the few cash spams you can grind if you're desperate for cash or flame arrows. They will start using +1(?)/masterwork weapons and flame arrows etc depending on luck..
You sure? They don't seem to drop anything but I am almost done with this place so I hope the other areas are a little easier.

I need an advice against the Snake queen boss, Fully buffed with potions, spells and shield my AC is -16 which is pretty grand but the moment I start the fight, the mages cancel all my buffs and they hold me and I get killed pretty damn fast. I can't think of any valid strategy to use against that spell.

I thought about running and sending in summons to let the mages use up their spells but I can't because the enemies follow me even when they don't see me and end up surrounding me. I also can't seem to close doors. the video guides before the release were all lies man. they said that you could close doors but nope.

Edit:
I am almost sure that some mages use Protection against Magical weapons because I can't seem to hit them at all.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom