Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Icewind Dale Beamdog's Icewind Dale: Enhanced Edition

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
If you want to compare your current experience of the game with your experience from a decade ago, you should probably be playing with the same configuration you did back then...

Well I don't think there is a major difference between the two versions because aside from the archer, the other characters I'm using are multiclass combos available in the original game, and I haven't used any of the new spells either. In fact I was actually sending the archer into melee as I felt guilty about using her. Unless there are "under the hood" changes and the monster stats have been nerfed.

You're getting more experience points and levelling up faster, man. This problem was noted a long time before the EEs were released, eg: http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/256221-icewind-dale/52470333

aVENGER

Arcane
Developer
The insane mode gives additional XP, and it seems that the game also throws more enemies at you if you are higher level, and the result has been ridiculous.

This is how it worked in the original game as well.

That said, the upcoming IWD:EE patch will introduce a setting for turning off the bonus XP on higher (and lower) difficulty levels.

roshan

Arcane
The insane mode gives additional XP, and it seems that the game also throws more enemies at you if you are higher level, and the result has been ridiculous.

That said, the upcoming IWD:EE patch will introduce a setting for turning off the bonus XP on higher (and lower) difficulty levels.

Awesome. Can there also be a setting to reduce XP gain? :)

roshan

Arcane

Awesome. Can there also be a setting to reduce XP gain? :)

What I mean is a setting where if you had a party of less than 6, you characters would still get XP as if you had a party of six, so the extra XP is lost instead of being divided amongst the members.

Lhynn

Arcane
What I mean is a setting where if you had a party of less than 6, you characters would still get XP as if you had a party of six, so the extra XP is lost instead of being divided amongst the members.
That would be the most retarded setting of XP distribution ever.

Melcar

Arcane
Yes it would. Can't you just turn off the extra XP bonuses from higher difficulties? Or include a special "tougher spawns" mode that you can use in any difficulty setting. This will probably break higher difficulty settings, but it would be optional and give us a "harder" game at core difficulty settings (which is what everyone wants at this point I guess).

Tigranes

Arcane
BGT has a mod for flat % reduction of all XP gained.

It's true that smaller parties on Insane means you gain XP far too quickly. The unelegant solution is to CLUAConsole XP every now and then, I guess.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
Because not everyone wants to play with a reduced party?

Offering more options for small parties is a good thing. It might even make it easier for the Skyrim audience to make the leap to the IWD series.

roshan

Arcane
Because not everyone wants to play with a reduced party?

That's why I am asking for an optional setting. I like playing with smaller parties (3 or 4, with the extreme upper limit being 5) but dislike that I often gain an advantage due to this, such as being able to cast game changing spells like fireball earlier on.

Avenger mentioned that they have already implementing a setting to disable the extra experience from higher difficulties. I'm asking for another setting to disable extra experience for smaller parties.

Lhynn

Arcane
That would be the most retarded setting of XP distribution ever.

Why?
Not coherent or interesting in any way, if you want challenge increased in that artificial way you can always play without pause or play while you have someone poking your eyes every once in a while.

roshan

Arcane
Not coherent or interesting in any way, if you want challenge increased in that artificial way you can always play without pause or play while you have someone poking your eyes every once in a while.

What makes it incoherent, artificial or uninteresting? Does it make sense for your characters to be able to fireball enemies that were never designed to withstand that spell? Do you think that makes for good gameplay?

Lhynn

Arcane
What makes it incoherent, artificial or uninteresting?
Learning the same from bigger obstacles makes no sense, its just an artificial limitation so your guys dont go up much, it can easily be imitated by using the console if you really need to be gimped.

Does it make sense for your characters to be able to fireball enemies
In FR? yes, makes perfect sense, would make less sense that you couldnt in a lot of cases actually.

that were never designed to withstand that spell? Do you think that makes for good gameplay?
it makes for really fun gameplay if you ask me, but dont worry, fireball will eventually become less and less deadly as the game progresses, simply because you face bigger obstacles.

Self-Ejected

IncendiaryDevice

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot
In Icewind Dale, your party members don't automatically follow you around, also, you can create and destroy party members as you please.

You are completely free to have 2 fake characters that you don't use and that you leave at the entrance to new areas, thereby providing 4 characters with the same XP that six characters would have. The only drawback is that you must gather your party before venturing forth, a small price to pay in preference to getting everyone out of bed to implement something that already exists...

roshan

Arcane
Learning the same from bigger obstacles makes no sense, its just an artificial limitation so your guys dont go up much, it can easily be imitated by using the console if you really need to be gimped.

In FR? yes, makes perfect sense, would make less sense that you couldnt in a lot of cases actually.

it makes for really fun gameplay if you ask me, but dont worry, fireball will eventually become less and less deadly as the game progresses, simply because you face bigger obstacles.

I am not interested in messing about with console commands. Also fireball will certainly become less OP as you play, but then you will also receive new spells which are OP for the enemies that you are facing.

roshan

Arcane
In Icewind Dale, your party members don't automatically follow you around, also, you can create and destroy party members as you please.

You are completely free to have 2 fake characters that you don't use and that you leave at the entrance to new areas, thereby providing 4 characters with the same XP that six characters would have. The only drawback is that you must gather your party before venturing forth, a small price to pay in preference to getting everyone out of bed to implement something that already exists...

1. What is it that already exists?

2. You cannot create and destroy characters as you please in the EE version of the game unless it's multiplayer.

3. It shouldn't be a lot of trouble to implement a simple setting, should be at most a minor tweak to the game.

aVENGER

Arcane
Developer
2. You cannot create and destroy characters as you please in the EE version of the game unless it's multiplayer.

Unfortunately, that is one feature from the original game that we couldn't port without risking serious engine breakage. We tried, but it simply wasn't feasible.

As a workaround, you can copy a single-player savegame to the mpsave folder, load it in multiplayer mode and edit your party, then copy it back.

roshan

Arcane

Unfortunately, that is one feature from the original game that we couldn't port without risking serious engine breakage. We tried, but it simply wasn't feasible.

As a workaround, you can copy a single-player savegame to the mpsave folder, load it in multiplayer mode and edit your party, then copy it back.

Well I've been doing that with the Baldur's Gate games for years anyway. Can't stand Bioware NPCs.

bussinrounds

Augur
Has anyone played co-op/mp on this ? I remember trying with a bro the reg version of IWD, but it wouldn't sync properly. We'd have the game paused and be seeing different shit on the screen, monsters would be teleporting around...

Self-Ejected

IncendiaryDevice

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot
Hey there aVENGER, 'scuse me being really lazy and not researching, but I just thought of an unpgrade that would have definitely improved the IWD experience - fast travel. The kind of fast travel where you get a choice of previously explored locations to go to when you exit a screen the way you came in. Was this implemented in the EE version?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom