Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Torment Beamdog's Planescape: Torment Enhanced Edition

Neanderthal

Arcane
That abducted Annah or Grace in Modron Cube bit that MCA revealed sounds like bloody good content, but i'm not sure i'd want to be a man (well woman) down in scrap wi im, thats one hard fuckin battle just wi six constructs, though much easier if Wizard fails to save versus Mortes taunt or fucks off upscreen for no reason.

I can imagine Nordom tryin to do rescuin hero schtick pretty hilariously: "Attention Annah, fear not this cubed rogue Modron construct (designation Nordom) will save you from clutches both nefarious and otherwise, equitable female virgin."
"WHAT DID YA JUST CALL ME YA SODDIN BOX?"
"Correction, appelation should be fair maiden, though target possesses dark hair which may render the title mute....moot. Attention Morte, would you label Annah as fair?"
"Not while shes armed pal!"
"Thank you."

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
Don't tell you are so hardcore you don't play with unofficial fixes.

It's not so much about being hardcore as it is just playing the game as the devs intended, bugs n all. Unofficial fixes are a worthy pursuit but I don't need them for any RPG in my top 10, which looks something like this:

Fallout
Fallout 2
Arcanum
Jagged Alliance 2
Baldur's Gate
Mask of the Betrayer
Deus Ex
Vampire: Bloodlines
System Shock 2
Planescape: Torment

I don't need mods or fixes to enjoy any of these, over and over. That said, I have done mod/fix runs with most of them.

Parabalus

Arcane
It's not so much about being hardcore as it is just playing the game as the devs intended, bugs n all. Unofficial fixes are a worthy pursuit but I don't need them for any RPG in my top 10, which looks something like this:

Fallout
Fallout 2
Arcanum
Jagged Alliance 2
Baldur's Gate
Mask of the Betrayer
Deus Ex
Vampire: Bloodlines
System Shock 2
Planescape: Torment

I don't need mods or fixes to enjoy any of these, over and over. That said, I have done mod/fix runs with most of them.

Out of that list the ones that could most use a touch up are the Fallouts, the interface aged really badly for me.

The rest have pretty comprehensive mods to run smoothly (& improved content) on all systems.

:hmmm:

Says the guy playing modded version of P:T (where they've even copied Qwinn's mod).

They went over Qwinn's mod and Avellone (who cut the content in the first place) said it was cut for a reason.

I played with it and liked it, but it's nothing spectacular and you can always install it on the EE if you miss it. It's really not a major issue.

There's a mod that allows you to artificially lower stats below 9, but I thought it has no consequences since it wasn't planned, just having more SP available for other stats.

Interesting. But if dumping stats lower than 9 adds to your point pool in New Life chargen, then it's disgusting.

I did a playthrough with it, there are some interactions with low (<9) attributes. IIRC it was intended to be able to drop them, but players could too easily fuck up (imagine new player with 3 dex/str/con) so they axed it, some remained in the code. Basically it amounts to a cheat, you lower str/con to 3 so you get 12 free points, meh.

Neanderthal

Arcane
Fall From Grace looks up from sharing a cup of tea with her Evil Wizard Construct abductor and gives you a brilliant smile.
"Ah you've arrived to rescue me, good." Grace rises and claps her hands in delight. "I must admit this experience has been most stimulating, and my host most gracious."
With a happy sigh of contentment the Succubus sweeps over to a screen set up in the corner of the room and begins unfastening her corset. "Please start your confrontation gentlemen, i'll change into my chainmail bikini and prepare to lounge by our antagonists feet in just a moment."
Morte spins around and hovers to within an inch of your face, "Don't ruin this for me chief, please don't ruin this for me!"
"Ya droolin letch!" Annah spits.
"Shut up Fiendling, you've got tall, grey and hideous in his smallclothes all day long, i'm just askin for one battle"

pippin

Out of that list the ones that could most use a touch up are the Fallouts, the interface aged really badly for me.

The natural enhancements introduced in FO2 are enough. You can use the interface with one button and everything is easy to access.

existential_vacuum

.PNG Police
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!
Good for you. I prefer playing games that are not factory broken/glitched.

Neither PS:T nor Gothic (both I and II) were factory broken, playable from start to finish. Can't say anything about VtMB, haven't played it without unofficial patches.
If you can't spend several minutes to install mods to make the game playable on modern system then you deserve to pay twice the price for questinable set of improvements (which, for many, don't justify a purchase even at a heavy discount).
And let's not forget about the addition of new bugs and glitches (BG:EE has these alright).
:evilcodex:
The natural enhancements introduced in FO2 are enough. You can use the interface with one button and everything is easy to access.
IMO, the only thing that needs improvement is inventory/trade screen. Generally, it is okay, but last time I played both FO1 and FO2 it was really getting on my nerves.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
Neither PS:T nor Gothic (both I and II) were factory broken, playable from start to finish.

I'm clearly talking about unofficial patches. There's literally no reason not to play with those.

If you can't spend several minutes to install mods to make the game playable on modern system then you deserve to pay twice the price for questinable set of improvements (which, for many, don't justify a purchase even at a heavy discount).

But I actually like the Enhanced Edition better than modded PS:T, so they aren't "questionable set of improvements" to me.

pippin

It took them about one year to polish BGEE. I remember that at release you had more chances to win the lottery than to have the fucking thing working properly in your computer. I do not know what happened with 2 but apparently it was the same situation. People who might try to defend Beamdog must remember you could play the original without any problems, and this was effctively announced as bg1 + mods applied.

Self-Ejected

Repulsive

Self-Ejected
Patron
PS:T never needed any unofficial patches or fixes, only issue I had with the GoG version was Nameless One 'moonwalking', which is fixable by disabling an option in the settings. HD is also pretty pointless in my opinion. Shows far too much of the areas, almost feels like you're playing an RTS. These games weren't designed to be played like that. Imagine if Beamdog possessed the talent to remaster character sprites, cities and such while not detracting at all from the art direction, that would be far more of an incentive for me to purchase the game again. The features this 'enhanced edition' offer are pretty useless to people who already own other versions of this game.

existential_vacuum

.PNG Police
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!

It took them about one year to polish BGEE. I remember that at release you had more chances to win the lottery than to have the fucking thing working properly in your computer. I do not know what happened with 2 but apparently it was the same situation. People who might try to defend Beamdog must remember you could play the original without any problems, and this was effctively announced as bg1 + mods applied.
With the introduction of EE v3 (or whatever), in which they brought new interface and journal pop-ups, they broke font scaling of certain elements (including pop-ups
cat.gif
) and, of course, the interface. Dunno if that's still the case, though.
But I actually like the Enhanced Edition better than modded PS:T, so they aren't "questionable set of improvements" to me.
Well, to each their own, I guess :salute:.
It still bugs me that they "recreated the interface from scratch" but decided not to remake the portraits (in order not to ruin the aesthetic). Lowres portraits look kinda meh among this supa4k UI. It's everything or nothing+M. Either way, it would have resulted in even more hilarious Codex thread.
:happytrollboy:

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
So this is gud? Worth buying, rite?

Does the enhanced version need any other unofficial mods, or does it come with all the good stuff?

Grimlorn

Arcane

Does the enhanced version need any other unofficial mods, or does it come with all the good stuff?
It definitely ain't worth buying, even if it is just a higher resolution and zoom with no changes to the core game. However, it might be worth acquiring.

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent

It definitely ain't worth buying, even if it is just a higher resolution and zoom with no changes to the core game. However, it might be worth acquiring.

Fuck you, fucking pirate.
It is better to be a pirate than to be a parasite, a shill, or a cuck.

Grimlorn

Arcane

Neanderthal

Arcane
Oi don't knock it 'til you've tried it! Theres nowt as manly as gettin up to rammin speed on the poop deck, wi plenty o salty seamen around all as eager for fresh booty as you are. Join the navy, feel a man as the old sayin goes.

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
It is better to be a pirate than to be a parasite
"Imagine...a world where the pirate, was not, just another parasite."
molyneux.png
Piracy never was. Even if you're retarded enough not to see the point in this particular situation, piracy as a whole was instrumental in popularizing gaming (and likely most of Microsoft/Windows & PC, but we don't speak of that). Piracy is not an issue of theft or parasitism, but of service, availability and judgement. The vast majority of pirates are pirates due to various restricting (perceived or real) limitations, not malice or greed. With the advent of things like GOG, Netflix and Spotify, any avid netizen would have to be functionally retarded not to have seen the sharp decline of piracy in gaming, music and television.

More than likely, you're just attempting to take some deluded moral high ground when in reality, you're either just too spoiled to have ever considered the need for piracy, or you're salty because you lived somewhere in the bush where you couldn't engage in it's golden age because your internet was an array of potato batteries hooked up to a toaster.

Junmarko

† Cristo è Re †
Patron
Last edited:
for those of you who are playing on a desktop (laptop) on a res of 1366x768 note that you can edit the Baldur.lua file to increase the text even further! I really was having a hard time since the font seems to be OK on full hd monitors.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom