Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter BEAUTIFUL DESOLATION - isometric post-apocalyptic adventure from STASIS developer

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Senpai noticed me, my question was answered. :)

agris

Arcane
Patron
hey Pyke, will we be able to find/get/use any upgrades to the dog drone that will unlock new content or resolutions? I'm sure you've got enough A/B split points, but there's something to be said for the BG2-style found items leading to upgrades mechanic, and with a dog robot that seems like a natural.

Totally separate- I read your recent interview and got to wondering.. are there any Escape from New York / John Carpenter influences to BD?

vortex

Fabulous Optimist
https://www.kickstarter.com/project...n-isometric-post-apocalyptic-ad/posts/1809195

crash.jpg

Pyke

The Brotherhood
Developer
POOCH will change through the game, although we haven't discussed her having direct upgrades - but it is a cool idea. In the story she is an NPC with her own quest - so isnt so much a player character as she is a companion who will occasionally go off on her own story. She will help you, and you can ask her to do things - but you cant directly control her.

Currently Im designing a skills upgrade system that would work as augments to the character, as well as drugs that provide certain boosts. We are also toying around with a combat mechanic akin to a certain other post apocalyptic game (turn based ftw) - but no promises! The game design is closer to Star Control 2 than it is to Stasis.

Not directly in the story - but Im so gonna add in a Snake NPC.. :D

Very much like Stasis had all of the touches of the scifi horror genre, BD will have those same touches with the post apoc films and books...although probably a little less self-aware-wink-wink than Stasis was.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Got an email:

WHOOOHOOO!

My post apocalyptic adventure game, BEAUTIFUL DESOLATION
has been FUNDED, but there are ONLY 24 HOURS LEFT to get in on the ACTION:

The all important link:
https://www.kickstarter.com/project...tion-isometric-post-apocalyptic-ad?ref=1ktum4

Many THANKS to those that have already supported us, and for
those who haven't - PLEASE don't miss out on the opportunity to be a part
of this. At the very least your name will be in the credits of a game!

I must mention the LIMITED run collectors edition box design for
BEAUTIFUL DESOLATION that is absolutely unique, foiled and well...
beautiful!

I'm also throwing in a CAYNE collectors box at the deluxe tier so
check out the Kickstarter page for pics here:
https://www.kickstarter.com/project...tion-isometric-post-apocalyptic-ad?ref=1ktum4

Once these AWESOME BOXES are all SOLD, I won't be OFFERING THEM AGAIN.

You can now also back from our webpage (with PAYPAL) here: http://www.desolationgame.com

After the Kickstarter ends (in 24 hours) I'm going to remove some of the items
from our website and increase the fee on others, to make things fair for Kickstarter backers.

This has been a wild ride and I appreciate your backing
- onward to the two headed giraffe!!!

Take care,

Chris :)

Metal Hurlant

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Is the fundraiser going to go through Pyke's website? While it looks good to see the KS amount jump up, it could be better through Pyke so KS don't take more fees?

It's safe to say the stretch goal has been achieved. Time for a new stretch goal.

Pyke

The Brotherhood
Developer
The fund raiser is going straight through PayPal. Honestly I don't have another stretch goal!

The World Codex was something I really wanted in the game, but the additional translation costs made it a bit prohibitive. With the extra money we can do something very expansive.
Stretch Goals scare me...we know the game that we want to (and are able to....) make, and there arent many things that we can add to the game by throwing money at them! More text is one thing (which is why we added the codex as a goal) that is directly related to money without a huge hit in time. We could announce a 'soft' goal like an extended Soundtrack - but we already have ideas for a special edition soundtrack, so it would be a little disingenuous to add that in!

I think we will match Stasis in funding, which Im quite happy with!

Metal Hurlant

Arcane
Patron
Thoughts about what you were going through during the kickstarter especially when it slowed down? Were you worried?

Pyke

The Brotherhood
Developer
We were as confident as a person can be with the numbers we were seeing. The big stress it that you no longer get the natural 'bump' that used to end most Kickstarters, so it was driving as many people as we could to the campaign ourselves. Those spikes were generated by 2 things - people getting the 48 hour reminder email that they sign up for when first seeing a campaign, and press running articles. The press no longer do that (if you get 1 article its a big thing!).

We used our mailing list strategically, usied forums where we can, and of course using shout outs from other campaigns. Having updates that are interesting to share on forums also helps! We also spoke to Kickstarter themselves and they did some social media boosts for us, tweeted about the KS Live session, etc.

What we saw was that people are more than happy to support us as developers on an existing product. Our Stasis sales saw a huge spike, and CAYNE Deluxe sales have covered many of the external direct costs (so not development, but things like voice actors and translations) related to it.

All in all Im pretty happy with the campaign. I think we chose a good amount (roughly half the dev budget) to go for. We had pledges every day, so it never completely petered out and there was always activity on the site.

Im now looking forward to a few days break and then diving right into production!

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Ovplain

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex
We used our mailing list strategically

ctD00ll.png

Gotta be honest, about half-way through I mainly wanted you to get funded ASAP just so all the e-mails would stop.

EDIT: Just for comparison sake, roughly during that same time frame, I received 22 that contained the term 'Deadfire' and 16 that contained the term 'Banner Saga.' 34 e-mails contained the term 'Beautiful Desolation.' Backed all three games on day 1.

So I'm just sayin', you might've overdone it a bit. But you did get funded, so who knows? Or who cares really? Whatever, congratulations again and go make a good game.

Last edited:

Metal Hurlant

Arcane
Patron
Ya'all may find this interesting...in 2009 I had the ideas for the post apocalyptic world (with a terribly story...urgh) - and for Stasis at the same time..

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=43&t=798412&page=1&pp=15

I'd like to know more about the Eugenics war in the Cayne teaser. Also, were there any ideas from the Cayne trailer that made it into Desolation? There seems to be some similarities even though it might be a different universe.

Pyke

The Brotherhood
Developer
It takes a LONG time before games look pretty.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom