Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter BEAUTIFUL DESOLATION - isometric post-apocalyptic adventure from STASIS developer

Kev Inkline

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Pyke is the best South African isometric adventure game developer in the world. +M

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
You lost a bit of weight, Chris, looks good ;-) - That crunchtime on the game keeping you up, hungry and alert? :D

Game looks amazing, keep up the good work my man. I'm a proud backer :)

Pyke

The Brotherhood
Developer
Its all that hiking for photoscanning!

But I actually have lost a bit of weight - trying to get a touch of balance in my life. Living in Cape Town also helps - its a place that really encourages the outdoors, and being a bit more mindful about your health.
I had a bit of a health scare just as we launched Cayne - and took that as a wake up call to try and not die any time soon!

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.kickstarter.com/project...n-isometric-post-apocalyptic-ad/posts/2019932

Don't go chasing waterfalls...

WATER
We'd like to give you a peak at the lovely fluid effects that we're including in Beautiful Desolation.

c37e902c29d519288ab9e6216c6c1067_original.gif

Drinking this water is not recommended!

One of the most difficult elements to exhibit realistically is liquid flow. Cascading water contains millions of tiny particles interacting with one another - reacting to gravity, and colliding with the objects around them. While there are certainly ways to create the effect using shaders, we decided to go with a 2D pre-rendered approach that will be augmented with a particle simulation; this keeps to our true vision of a 2D game.

Using PhoenixFD (Read up on this amazing plugin here): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ew5-7lwc9GM)

c8fcf1bdb374fa0bc8146e050483e04e_original.jpg

Using this, we've setup a waterfall containing over ten million particles. The simulation is then rendered out to a movie and turned into a looping animation. The looping animation is then broken up using a Unity particle system.

cb5415b4bc1007fda6bf104744660626_original.gif

We're able to use this same technique to create steam and smoke. In this sequence we are using photographic smoke elements and combining them with particles to show the steam rising off of a freshly slaughtered pig!

d9fdee736c59ad44d41b4f709708a4e3_original.gif

Either you like bacon or you are wrong :)

HI MARK!
We now have another full time 3D artist working on Beautiful Desolation. Mark has decades of experience and we're excited to create worlds together.

Chat soon!

- Chris

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Beautiful Desolation was the real Torment all along:

https://www.kickstarter.com/project...n-isometric-post-apocalyptic-ad/posts/2062350

December 2017 Update with Gameplay Video

Enjoy the video:
Mark has arrived at the entrance to The Kettle: a bustling settlement that sits at the base of the Bulwark, an enormous wall of compacted buildings and overgrown trees.

CLICK FOR 4K IMAGE

Our previous games focused on isolation, while in Beautiful Desolation we've opened the doors to our new world, creating environments populated with vibrant and strange characters. We want a living, breathing world for Mark to explore that includes augmented humans, drones, robots, and bizarre animals.

CLICK FOR 4K IMAGE

In addition, we've finalized gameplay technicalities such as the UI amd camera control which you can see in action in the video.

Thanks for supporting us this year.

Have a great festive season and see you in 2018!

The Bros
Please:

Follow Chris on Twitter:

https://twitter.com/StasisGame

Like our Facebook page

https://www.facebook.com/desolationadventure/

Kev Inkline

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Fitting to the overall atmosphere, even the narrator to that video spoke some alien language, hard to comprehend yet familiar.

lightbane

Arcane

Pyke

The Brotherhood
Developer
Hey Pyke, you should rename your YouTube channel no?

I really should do it - also my twitter handle. Ill get on it in the new year - just have to see what it will effect (old dead links, etc).

Looks awesome as always. Hopefully the main character is not limited to walk speed through.
Aso, just to know, Pyke : Are you aware of the tabletop game known as The Loop? It also has 80s alien aesthetics similar to the stuff you have shown, although lately this has become increasingly common:

https://www.amazon.com/Tales-Loop-Modiphius/dp/1910132756 ; https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1192053011/tales-from-the-loop-roleplaying-in-the-80s-that-ne

He has a sprint which is pretty fast. I just turned up the radius of the sprint for the video to have a slower look at the environment. Riiiiiight at the end of the video you can see him break into a run for like half a second. :D

I love the Loop! The artwork is amazing! The 80's aesthetic is coming back in a big way which Im incredibly happy about! Wait until you hear the music....

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
How about giant statue of me, pointing at the sky, bald eagle sitting on each of my arms, a polar bear prostrating at my feet, and a giraffe sucking my dick.

I'm ready to pose anytime, PM me your schedule.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Who must I talk to about getting the design for the RPGCodex statue? Im ready to build it!

Oh, I forgot about that.

Well, in his newspost for the fundraiser DarkUnderlord said he wanted a troll statue. That's our usual thing unless somebody has a cooler idea.

There is no "dong" on that statue!? Does this mean we are all emasculated? What is happening with my life?

:philosoraptor:
The troll is like Godzilla.

agris

Arcane
Patron
The codex is pretty uninspired sometimes. I would vote for a Fallout 1- / Doom-style statue of a guy (troll?) fighting off mutants.

See:

RIpxdUn.jpg

SYk31Ab.jpg

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth
A troll standing on a base of Todd Howard's skull could be pretty cool.

Fixed.

nah, have a pile of skulls but then off to the side have a skeleton sitting in a chair with a dusty bottle of beer in one hand and a magazine on his lap, that's Todd Howard

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom