Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Berserk and the Band of the Hawk - a Musou/Warriors game

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014

Now it's officially titled Berserk and the Band of the Hawk, and coming to West on February 24th.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
i haven't had time to watch the new Berserk anime because everyone says it's shit but i haven't asked the Codex: is the new Berserk anime really shit?

(i found the remake movies very shit)

polo

Magister
i haven't had time to watch the new Berserk anime because everyone says it's shit but i haven't asked the Codex: is the new Berserk anime really shit?

Animation is really shity with a lot of those shade lines or w/e the fuck those are. But still, its berserk and the ambience and action scenes are really good. I like it despite animation.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron

If you didn't like the movies animation in the new show will make you want to commit serial suicide. It gets better as it goes on, but it's clear something went terribly wrong.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
well, ambience... sure, but it wasn't the action per se that makes the anime adaptation (the real one) so good it's how subtly they managed to capture the characters and the characterizations. Yes the action was great but not in the sense of something like Ninja Scroll, more in the sense of "holy shit Guts just broke that dude's sword with his teeth!", etc. in fact the real anime probably has like, what, 5 scenes total of action?

the real anime adaptation's soundtrack also greatly enhanced the entire thing by deftly externalizing the characterizations. i found none of that present in the remake movies and i was hoping against hope that the new anime was being called shit because it simply had shitty animation but from i've read online it seems it is shit because of shitty animation and because it doesn't capture the spirit of the characters.

real berserk fans don't give a shit about the action or the animation... we care about the narrative, story, characterizations, motivations, etc. BTW, in many ways i find the original anime adaptation superior to the source material it covers (which i know is not a popular opinion). i think the original anime's studio did a better job than the manga of distilling the archetypes those characters represent and elevated them, and made excellent creative decisions that elevated the material like excising characters like the faerie and the skull knight, as those characters are just bad anime tropes.

Perkel

Arcane

IT is CG shit. IF you want to watch berserk watch old anime.

You know what is the most hilarious thing ?

There exist already awesome Berserk game on PS2 which looks better than that mussou piece of crap and animations in it are better than recently release piece of crap CGI anime and fucking covers almost everything up until boat i think or slightly before it.

And has absolutely fucking amazing INTRO:

What i would fucking give for proper balls to the walls Platinum Games Berserk game in 2017

Luka-boy

Arcane

Looks like an even crazier take on the way he moved in the PS2 game while wearing the Berserker Armour in its final act. I don't know how I feel about that.

Tehdagah

Arcane
That PS2 game is a slower version of Musou games. At least someone is doing a proper Musou game now.

well, ambience... sure, but it wasn't the action per se that makes the anime adaptation (the real one) so good it's how subtly they managed to capture the characters and the characterizations. Yes the action was great but not in the sense of something like Ninja Scroll, more in the sense of "holy shit Guts just broke that dude's sword with his teeth!", etc. in fact the real anime probably has like, what, 5 scenes total of action?
The new anime has a plenty of these.

the real anime adaptation's soundtrack also greatly enhanced the entire thing by deftly externalizing the characterizations. i found none of that present in the remake movies and i was hoping against hope that the new anime was being called shit because it simply had shitty animation but from i've read online it seems it is shit because of shitty animation and because it doesn't capture the spirit of the characters.
No, the characters are the same thing.

real berserk fans don't give a shit about the action or the animation... we care about the narrative, story, characterizations, motivations, etc.
:roll:

This is gayest hispter argument I've ever read.

Koei should have made a Berserk visual novel instead, it's not like if action is important in an action series.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Tehdagah

the characters were not the same in the remake movies, and the majority agrees w/ me on this. have not watched the new anime so cannot comment but commentariat surrounding it is what planted the idea in me that they also failed to capture the characterizations, just like the remake movies.

thinking that the characters are the same just because they're visually represented in the same manner, have the same name and are doing the same things is telling of your lack of understanding about what characterization means.

action alone is worthless if the characterization and motivations behind the characters and behind the action is unrealized; for the same reason a jump scare in a horror movie will never work if you don't care about the character in peril whereas the jump scare will work if the movie properly hooked you.

EDIT: perfect example of how something like editing can completely change characterization:

- in the original theatrical cut of the Empire Strikes Back when vader cuts off Luke's hand and Luke lets go and falls off the platform he falls in silence, allowing the audience to conjecture that he fell of his volition and bravery and did not scream while falling even though he didn't know if he would survive or not; or that perhaps he did know that he would survive and his letting go and falling was all calculated.

- in all future releases of the empire strikes back (re-mastered editions and onwards) Lucas decided to edit in a yell while Luke is falling. He decided to make Luke scream. This now makes the audience think that Luke did not choose to let go of the platform of his own volition or that even if he did his fear of death overpowered him as he was falling making him yell in panic and terror.

see how characterization works now? the most subtle change whether it be visual, aural or textual can completely change the anatomy of a scene or a character.

Last edited:

Tehdagah

Arcane
I'm talking about the new anime, didn't watched the movies. Guts is Guts, Isidro is Isidro, Luca is Luca, Puck is on it (finally), etc

"but commentariat surrounding it is what planted the idea in me that they also failed to capture the characterizations"

Probably fanboys complaining about trivialities and going "muh sauce material is perfect". The anime did a pretty good job at summing up the Black Swordsman Arc (Guts being a borderline nihilist due to his previous traumatic experiences and obsession with revenge, trying to not relate with other people, but occasionally showing vulnerability and a glimpse of good-hearted intentions) in the first 3 episodes, while at the same time mixing it with the Conviction Arc. Actually I would say the anime made him less 'edgy' than in the manga, which is incline (licking his own blood lol). Miura also wrote a 'new' cool character for the anime.

"action alone is worthless if the characterization and motivations behind the characters and behind the action is unrealized; for the same reason a jump scare in a horror movie will never work if you don't care about the character in peril whereas the jump scare will work if the movie properly hooked you."

Good thing this isn't the case. I care about the characters and the action is awesome.

Also, you're right about the Star Wars edit. Although screaming while falling to death is totally a human reaction and you can't really control it.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
you do bring up the most important point of all: the majority is always wrong.

i'll torrent some eps and give it a watch... after i finish watching the PS2 game cutscenes someone linked above. Those cutscenes are really well done! makes me want to torrent the game and play it on ps2 emulator but the urge to watch all of the cutscenes right now is too strong.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I would not rate the new anime too highly. Way too much crappy CGI and not enough characterization. Some cringe-worthy sound effects, such as metallic clangs all the time, also while swinging at spirits. And the nipple censorship is just silly (though I guess it's wapanese regulations for TV).

But still, it's Berserk!

And it moves the story forward, rather then ending with the Golden Age.
Plus the music is epic.

So I'm very happy it exists. You should see for yourself if you'll like it.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Number 1 Requested Berserk Character Confirmed as DLC for Band of the Hawk
fh9loFz.jpg

:bounce::bounce:??

meh

duanth123

Arcane
Last edited:

I stalk the night
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin 2
The Steam page has appeared. Staying true to the Koei Tecmo pricing atleast.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom