Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Berserk and the Band of the Hawk - a Musou/Warriors game

flyingjohn

Arcane
Anyone played it? Will a true berserk fan like it?
1)Do you have a controller?
Game doesn't support any mouse whatsoever,so a controller is a must.
2)Are you a fan of musou games?
Remember the core game play is still the musou formula,but with more gore and less characters and no co op.

If the answer is yes i would still say wait for a discount since there is less content then the other warrior games.

Matalarata

Arcane
Patron
Pretty much what flyingjohn said... I bought it because both me and my oldest circle of friends loved the Manga when it was regularly published ('90 ---> early '00) so basically I caved in just to be able to say look what I've got here...

The port is abysmal, no mouse support, low framerate on high end machines, totally unrelated to graphic settings. Set Environment to low in order to fix it, you can probably max everything else on a toaster. Methinks that's simply a bug...
The story, as far as I've been able to play it, is quite complete. You start as Guts after he's forced to leave Gambino's band, then are forced to fight the band of the Hawk after your payment, in an actual mission. After that it's rear-guard duty, again following each major battle in the manga up to this point... There's lot of anime cutscenes, lesser storytelling is either done through 3d models or talking heads.
Difficulty is insultingly low, at least on hard. Still haven't tried Berserk difficulty but I've got little hopes.
Documentation is shit. I'd love if someone could explain me how to unlock additional skill on accessories...
As a musou game (and the last one I played was on PS2, mind you) I find it quite fun, I'm still fighting just humans but the added variety from monsters will probably keep me interested more than other similar titles. Combo-spamming is as popamoleish as it was 15 years ago. It's incredible how little it has changed... X-X-Y for single targets, X-X-X-Y for AoE, just like the older DW on PS1-2

Buy when under heavy discount, or at least wait for a couple patches.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Difficulty is insultingly low, at least on hard. Still haven't tried Berserk difficulty but I've got little hopes.
This. I've played almost every Musou game out there and this one is probably the easiest one out there... even Dragon Quest Heroes or the One Piece Warriors games were harder.

After fighting with Caska on the infinite dungeon mode I think it's because of the OP dodge & horrible hit detection. They made the game piss easy because everything would fall apart otherwise - you can't perform precise dodges nor know exactly when an attack will hit, so a good AI would destroy you. I have no idea how they fucked up things so badly, even Koie's other Warriors games have much more finesse.

Matalarata

Arcane
Patron

Actually... I tried the highest difficulty level and I got destroyed in 5 seconds. The difference is unbelievable, 4-5 attacks from normal mooks and it's over. It's probably meant to be used with higher level characters but it could provide some fun, I managed only to complete the first story mission in Berserk mode and I did that by burning each consumable I had and on the brink on defeat. Could provide
incline.png
, or maybe not, still undecided...

Why did they have to use video clips from the recent awful fucking anime instead of the much better 1997 one? Can't wait for
maxresdefault.jpg

DramaticPopcorn

So,, I pirated it and played for about 7hrs. Got to the end of The Golden Age arc. Gameplay is a massive casual fest. Agreed with difficulty being almost non existant on hard. The cutscenes are a bit too much at times, a mission can take around 10-15 mins and then you can spend the same time watching animes or pointless dialogue. I also kinda hated the fact that there's no decapitation in normal mode.

The PS2 berserk game had a much better swordplay,, guts had weight and swinging his sword around felt impactful as hell.

EDIT: They also seem to have retouched music during anime cutscenes for whatever reason, could be licensing or whatever but it's mostly inferior to the original. I've also yet to hear any of the traditional Berserk tracks

Last edited by a moderator:

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
Why did they have to use video clips from the recent awful fucking anime instead of the much better 1997 one? Can't wait for

Actually it's from the Gold Age Arc movie trillogy (wich in animation and music it's best treatment this manga had), not the new 2016 anime.

DramaticPopcorn

Finished the game, the berserk armor form is a massive power trip, even on highest difficulty, trivializing a lot of fights and I absolutely loved it. :D

Other than that, I couldn't find compelling reasons to go for another playthrough (is there a proper New Game Plus option, anyway?):
The gameplay is repetetive and doesn't change throughout the game at all, progression is pretty meaningless, rewatching cutscenes that sometimes take longer than the mission, feels pretty pointless.

janior

Arcane
Patron
Is PS2 berserk game any gut guyz?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom