Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Best engine/map editor to build large maps

• Thread starter Kitchen Utensil
  • Start date

Kitchen Utensil

Short intro:
I used to build Quake 3 and Crysis maps with the respective editors back in the day. That's been a while though and I have no idea what kind of engines/games/editors there are today (if any) for scrubs like me who'd just like to build some maps, so I'm asking the almighty Codex for advice.

What I'd want to do is build a seamless world with indoor/outdoor areas, with an emphasis on atmosphere, complex architecture and layout. A variety of built-in materials, textures, shaders and lighting options (and respective editors) as well as an easy way to do simple interactions like triggers for something like doors/elevators, light switches, sound triggers and similar stuff would be welcome. I don't plan to make this a game or anything, just a study in level layout and design, so the only gameplay functionality I'd like to have else than the triggers mentioned above is to be able to walk about the map. If there'd be more than that, why not. Great would be a WYSIWYG functionality like what the CryEngine's Sandbox editor offered.

I'm basically looking for a 3d engine/game that offers an extensive map editor with a good GUI and as much functionality and as many features as possible out of the box without requiring any scripting/coding knowledge. A good documentation would be a plus, but better functionality for the task at hand (complex, diverse level design and layout) is more important.

Any suggestions?

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Don't have experience with it personally, but Fallout 4 Creation Kit comes to my mind.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom