Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Best game manual?

someone else

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Darklands manual is good to read but I think the best manual I read is Sim Ant. It teaches you about ants, and it is also haha funny. What other good manuals are there?

sgc_meltdown

Arcane
SimCity 2000's manual is pretty fucking tits for something that talks about urban planning
in fact all the maxis manuals from that era are solid gold

Darksun: Shattered Lands manual, very helpful with full monster manual pages for critters
I think Homeworld's had a bunch of lore in it

Fens

Ford of the Llies
Burntime had an awesome manual which was about 1/3 game instructions and 2/3 treatise on nuclear fallout

sACRIFICE.

It was a manual detailing the units and strats of the 7 deities, written in character as if they were mentoring the player like a master would mentor an apprentice. Cool to read and entertaining even if you aren't looking for help.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
If feelies count, then any of the Infocom games. Possibly Bureaucracy.

If not, I'll have to go with Stonekeep's. It included a 126-page novella FFS! Also Redguard's for the absolutely awesome Pocket Guide to the Empire.

Bruticis

Falcon 4.0. The manual duals as home defense weapon to be used on intruders.
manual4_01.jpg

spectre

Arcane
Arcanum manual was pretty good. It sucked as a reference book (I recall looking for 5 minutes for that goddamn skill training effects table), but it was a p. good read nonetheless.

Darklands and Fallout were also p. cool indeed.

Shame the age of proper manuals is over. All we can hope for is a 10 page how-to-install and options button does what?

Bruticis

Wasn't BG2 (or was it IW2) spiral bound and pretty decent? I can remember browsing the local Software Etc stores for games. If I had 2 games that looked promising and I couldn't decide between the two, I bought whichever one was heavier (made some seriously shitty purchases that way too, Breach 3 for example).

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Bruticis said:
Heh, yeah most Microprose simulators had hefty manuals. Falcon 3's was also like this, as was F19's.

Bruticis

Sceptic said:
Bruticis said:
Heh, yeah most Microprose simulators had hefty manuals. Falcon 3's was also like this, as was F19's.
And don't forget the cool keyboard overlays...I bet newfags have never even seen a real keyboard overlay.

Fens

Ford of the Llies
Bruticis said:
Sceptic said:
Bruticis said:
And don't forget the cool keyboard overlays...I bet newfags have never even seen a real keyboard overlay.
consoles don't have those

visions

Arcane
The best I've read is Darklands. Arcanum and Betrayal at Krondor were also quite enjoyable.

Ruprekt

Scholar
Master of Magic with the seperate spell book.

Anything from Origin.

Arcanum.

Starfleet Command ringbound manual.

Elite "The Dark Wheel" and Frontier.

... Actually most game packages used to contain something awesome.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
I have a little of a trauma of game manuals, here in Brazil they are horribly mutilated. Baldur's Gate 2 was reduced from a huge corebook to a little 60-page booklet. And the translation....well, let's just say they understood the "Drow" Race as if was "DrowN", thus they are refered "aquatic elves"....

But my imported Civilization II had a bigass manual that every world leader should read and learn from it.

PorkaMorka

Arcane
Dominions 3 is up there, 280+ pages of spiral bound goodness, documenting most everything, with some good sized design notes as well. I think it might be the manual I've re-read the most.

They supported the game heavily after release though so some tables eventually became partially obsolete.

D&D games do need to have thick manuals but I can't give them too much credit with all that copy pasted material.

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
My favorite manual is the Sonic 3 manual. I was grounded from the Sega for a month after I bought it and didn't get to play it, so I read the manual over and over for a month. This was when I was 21

deuxhero

Arcane
Modern manual?

Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Summoner: Raidou Kuzunoha vs. The Soulless Army and to a lesser degree, its sequel. The manual writers had some fun, putting everything in the game's 40s/50s slang.

Texas Red

Whiner
spectre said:
Arcanum manual was pretty good. It sucked as a reference book (I recall looking for 5 minutes for that goddamn skill training effects table), but it was a p. good read nonetheless.

The description of the races is very memorable. It's quite amazing how Troika combined such cliched fantasy races with the themes of the industrial revolution to a humorous and original result.

When I found out about Arcanum about 5 or 6 years ago, there was not one active torrent on the web. It's really great that this has changed.

Renegen

Arcane
For me, it's either Fallout 1&2 or Baldur's Gate 1&2. The Fallout manuals were just so well done, they pretended to be wasteland survival guides. Inside, you had the list of every perk, all the skills and you got to really plan your character. Baldur's Gate was my first introduction to D&D and luckily the games had extremely complete manuals with the rules for character creation, progression, combat, spell casting, all the items in the game, every spell. I would sit in the bus on the way home from school reading the manual and planning what spells to take.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
kingcomrade said:
My favorite manual is the Sonic 3 manual. I was grounded from the Sega for a month after I bought it and didn't get to play it, so I read the manual over and over for a month. This was when I was 21
How does one becames grounded at 21?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom