Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Best Geneforge?

• Geneforge

Votes: 12 42.9%
  • Geneforge 2

Votes: 4 14.3%
  • Geneforge 3

Votes: 1 3.6%
  • Geneforge 4: Rebellion

Votes: 2 7.1%
  • Geneforge 5: Overthrow

Votes: 9 32.1%

• Total voters
Well, there's already a topic for 'best Avernum' and at least it's not another Alpha Protocol/Fallout 3 thread.

I've found that for most people their favorite tends to be the one they played first. Which is fair, considering how similar they all are, but surely there is something that differentiates them to the point that they can be analyzed a bit more coherently than 'well it was the first one I played, so it's the best'.

I have only finished the first three, but of them I'd have to side with the second. Although I preferred the setting of the first game, the number of factions, choices and endings (and the way the endings came about) in the second were fantastic.

Combat in all of them was, while not bad (at least it's turn-based!), pretty dull and rarely required much thought. Does this improve in the 4th and 5th game? I remember reading that the 4th can be finished entirely using stealth. Is that bullshit?

Nim

Augur
Combat in all of them was, while not bad (at least it's turn-based!), pretty dull and rarely required much thought. Does this improve in the 4th and 5th game?
:lol: No, it doesn't. The AP system is changed from 4 onwards and 5 really weakens the Speed spell but it doesn't change the bad combat that much. What I find worse is that in the later games everything has loads of HPs, it degenerates into a slugfest. Which is why I also hate turn-based here, especially if there are more than a few enemies.

I remember reading that the 4th can be finished entirely using stealth. Is that bullshit?
There is no Geneforge game you can stealth, no chance.

Higher Game

Arcane
They're all about the same (no, 3 doesn't suck, I don't know why it gets so much hate), but 2 is probably the most epic.

ElectricOtter

Nim said:
I remember reading that the 4th can be finished entirely using stealth. Is that bullshit?
There is no Geneforge game you can stealth, no chance.
nope. it's been done on the spiderweb software forums

also, i think geneforge 1 is the best for setting and atmosphere, but geneforge 5 has a lot of improvements over the first... play them both. it won't kill you.

Azael

Magister
Wasteland 2
The first is fresh and probably has the most interesting "villain" of the bunch, but the faction play in the second game is the best of them all. Becoming a crazed Bahrzite was just too much fun.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I stealthed some of the maps of 5 because i'm a filthy completicionist, and that was the only way not to turn some factions hostile.

It's a good design, allow exclusive factions but provide a way to delay your decision.
Plus it was the only way to get some of the monsters & cannisters.

Tails

Arbiter
Can someone (pretty please!) approximate how different are Geneforge 1-3 from 4-5? I'm quiet interested in this games, but I heard to many opinion that all of them basically play in the same way. Second thing is that for some weird reason, demo version of first three work horribly on my config, comparing to last one. Will I miss something if I just start playing from 4 or 5?

ElectricOtter

Tails said:
Can someone (pretty please!) approximate how different are Geneforge 1-3 from 4-5? I'm quiet interested in this games, but I heard to many opinion that all of them basically play in the same way. Second thing is that for some weird reason, demo version of first three work horribly on my config, comparing to last one. Will I miss something if I just start playing from 4 or 5?
Geneforge 1-3 preform badly on Windows 7. As for the games, the only real difference in mechanics from G 1-3 to G 4-5 is that the earlier games have a slightly different combat system, and less creations, spells, and classes. I would highly suggest playing through Geneforge 1 (unless all you have is Windows 7 and the game shits itself), but you won't miss too much if you skip straight to 4-5. You will, however, miss a couple plot points and returning characters.

Tails

Arbiter
Thanks Higher Game & ElectricOtter, good to see someone is able to talk about anything else then Alpha Protocol :)

ElectricOtter, the thing is I have Win XP SP 2 and still I get massive problems with performance in case of 1-3 games when more then two NPC show on screen. Heck, in Geneforge 2 (demo) the menu screen is a horrible slide show. Btw. Some people claim that 4 and especially 5 part have dumbed down difficulty and are more linear then previous ones, hwo much is truth in that? PS. those plots parts and NPC are not somehow explained in 4-5 Geneforge?
PS2. Is Vogel going to re-made Geneforge 1-3 like he plans with Avernum 1-3? I think it would be pretty sweet thing.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
5 is more linear? having played it, i don't really see how that would be possible, considering you can pretty much freely decide whom to fuck over, kill, or work for.

ElectricOtter

Tails said:
Thanks Higher Game & ElectricOtter, good to see someone is able to talk about anything else then Alpha Protocol :)

ElectricOtter, the thing is I have Win XP SP 2 and still I get massive problems with performance in case of 1-3 games when more then two NPC show on screen. Heck, in Geneforge 2 (demo) the menu screen is a horrible slide show. Btw. Some people claim that 4 and especially 5 part have dumbed down difficulty and are more linear then previous ones, hwo much is truth in that? PS. those plots parts and NPC are not somehow explained in 4-5 Geneforge?
PS2. Is Vogel going to re-made Geneforge 1-3 like he plans with Avernum 1-3? I think it would be pretty sweet thing.
5 and 4 being linear is complete bullshit, although the combat is pretty easy. Geneforge 5 is probably the easier one in the series, but that can be remedied by picking Shaper classes instead of Rebel classes.

As for the slowdowns, well, I don't know. Either you have a shit graphics card our your drivers are really outdated. Geneforge 2 title screen is always a little slow.

Tails

Arbiter
GeForce 9300M GS on a laptop mate, so for sure not shitty, since I can run more resource eating games with better performance. I think the fault is somewhere in drivers and older games, since I had slow down issues with Gothic I also and few other older titles 3D and 2D ones.

ElectricOtter

Tails said:
GeForce 9300M GS on a laptop mate, so for sure not shitty, since I can run more resource eating games with better performance. I think the fault is somewhere in drivers and older games, since I had slow down issues with Gothic I also and few other older titles 3D and 2D ones.
Okay. Go to the Tech Support section of the Spiderweb Software Forums and see if you can get any help there.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Seeing as how Geneforge 2 is being recommended by most of you - I think I'll give it a try. Also I hope the combat isn't as bad as some of you say it is. Faction-based progression seem to be a good reason to play though.

Black Cat

Magister
Could some of you guys and gals and its and etc do a quick run of how the gameplay is on the Geneforge games? As, like, what kind of characters you can build, how the gameplay changes based on your build, what kind of monster thingies you can summon and train, etc. I have been thinking about giving them a try seeing how one of the gameplay types i like the most is the summoner/pet class, but i did not like the other saga this guy did, the one about that subterranean world stuff, as it was incredibly ugly and pretty basic on the mechanics.

Also, how much of a time investment do the games require to do a clear seeing a good amount of side material or optional material? Can it be finished in a reasonable lenght or time or are we talking eighty hours or a hundred hours or some crazy stuff like that?

ElectricOtter

Black Cat said:
Could some of you guys and gals and its and etc do a quick run of how the gameplay is on the Geneforge games? As, like, what kind of characters you can build, how the gameplay changes based on your build, what kind of monster thingies you can summon and train, etc. I have been thinking about giving them a try seeing how one of the gameplay types i like the most is the summoner/pet class, but i did not like the other saga this guy did, the one about that subterranean world stuff, as it was incredibly ugly and pretty basic on the mechanics.

Also, how much of a time investment do the games require to do a clear seeing a good amount of side material or optional material? Can it be finished in a reasonable lenght or time or are we talking eighty hours or a hundred hours or some crazy stuff like that?
The combat isn't really that interesting early on, but it gets better later in the game. There are TONS of possible character builds and several strategy guides detailing them on the Spiderweb Software Forums. The skill system is balanced so that picking one skill over another will have consequences and can even change how you play the game. As for the creations, they're pretty simple. There are 31 base types (19 in the original, 6 were added in Geneforge 2, and 6 more were added in Geneforge 4), separated into three categories: Battle, Magic, and Fire. Battle focuses on melee, Magic on status effects and ranged damage, and Fire on ranged damage and melee. You can also edit the attributes of creations, which can also have a big effect on gameplay (for example, you have to put two points of intelligence into your creations or you can't control them and they have a small chance of going rouge).

The classes are slightly different from standard fantasy fare. Shapers are good at Shaping (duh), okay at Magic, and weak at Battle. Guardians are good at Battle, okay at Shaping, and weak at Magic. Agents are good at Magic, okay at Battle, and weak at Shaping. Geneforge 4 introduced 2 new classes: the Servile (good Battle, okay Magic, weak Shaping) and the Shock Trooper (good Shaping, okay Battle, weak Magic). Finally, Geneforge 5 had the last combination: the Sorceress (good Magic, okay Shaping, weak Battle).

The games offer a lot of gameplay, but they don't take too long to complete. There is some side material, but not as much as Avernum. There is also a optional, very difficult, dungeon in every game. If you have any more questions about the game, check out Slartucker's Strategy Central for Geneforge 3-5 on the Spiderweb Software Forums.

betamin

Learned
Geneforge 4 and 5 (at least) can be completed with a mix of stealth, trap disarming and diplomacy (leadership stat), there is combat but you can cut down on it a lot and in most unavoidable fights you have allies if you use your leadership stat.

Urbanolo

Augur
Is it worth buying? Avadon was pretty boring and it looks like same shit.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom