Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Best JRPGs

sullynathan

Arcane
So I'm new to this sub genre. I've only played Chaos rings on the phone and Ni no Kuni demo years ago and I liked both, Ni no Kuni was very exciting.

I currently started the first final fantasy and I'm also liking it but something about walking around a world with nothing on the surface then randomly stumbling into fights or getting ambushed rubs me the wrong way.

Which JRPGs are good or should be played? Does someone have to play all the final fantasy games?

Sigourn has compiled a list for us
I decided to keep the list as it was and not make any changes. People will have enough games to choose from.

As for me, I trimmed the fat of almost anything I could remotely consider questionable in any way or form when it came to weaboo, with a few notable exceptions. I ended up with 50 games that are much more reasonable to play than 100 (especially considering my Western list has like... 160 or so):

1. Baroque
  2. Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter
  3. Elminage Original
  4. Eternal Poison
  5. Eternal Ring
  6. Etrian Odyssey (Yes, I know)
  7. Etrian Odyssey II: Heroes of Lagaard (Yes, I know)
  8. Etrian Odyssey III: The Drowned City (Yes, I know)
  9. Final Fantasy Tactics
  10. Final Fantasy XII: International Zodiac Job System
  11. Kartia: The Word of Fate
  12. King's Field
  13. King's Field II
  14. King's Field III
  15. King's Field IV
  16. Koudelka
  17. Kyuuki Megami Tensei
  18. Ogre Battle: March of the Black Queen
  19. Pandora’s Tower
  20. Persona 2: Eternal Punishment
  21. Persona 2: Innocent Sin
  22. Revelations: Persona
  23. Romance of the Three Kingdoms VII
  24. Romance of the Three Kingdoms VIII
  25. Romance of the Three Kingdoms X
  26. Shadow Hearts
  27. Shadow Hearts: Covenant
  28. Shadow Tower
  29. Shadow Tower Abyss
  30. Shadowrun
  31. Shadowrun
  32. Shin Megami Tensei
  33. Shin Megami Tensei II
  34. Shin Megami Tensei III: Nocturne Maniax
  35. Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor
  36. Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor 2
  37. Shin Megami Tensei: Digital Devil Saga
  38. Shin Megami Tensei: Digital Devil Saga 2
  39. Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 3 (Yes, I know)
  40. Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 4 (Yes, I know)
  41. Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey
  42. Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together
  43. The Dark Spire
  44. The Last Story
  45. Uncharted Waters: New Horizons
  46. Vagrant Story
  47. Valkyrie Profile: Covenant of the Plume
  48. Wizardry Gaiden 4: Throb Of The Demon's Heart (Taima No Kodou)
  49. Wizardry: Tale of the Forsaken Land
  50. Xenoblade Chronicles

If I were asked to trim down to 10, then I would go with:

1. Vagrant Story
  2. Shin Megami Tensei III: Nocturne Maniax
  3. Final Fantasy Tactics
  4. Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together
  5. The Dark Spire
  6. Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey
  7. Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor 2
  8. Wizardry Gaiden 4: Throb Of The Demon's Heart (Taima No Kodou)
  9. Romance of the Three Kingdoms X
  10. Shadow Tower Abyss

Bear in mind I've only played Vagrant Story (only Japanese RPG you will ever need), but the rest seem to be Codex and aweigh certified JRPGs. Paging Dr. aweigh to know if I picked the right Wizardry-inspired games or not.

Because I wasn't satisfied with my previous list, I decided to do the community a good favor and made a new one. See it here.

I went through many, many threads, looking at what the most common mentioned games were. For the record, those threads are the following:

- Console RPGs that don't suck?
- Non-linear JRPGs
- JRPGs more appealing to the western eyez...
- jRPGs that might appeal to wRPG fans
- Jrpgs with western rpg elements
- JRPG Recommendations?
-
JRPGS, where to start? should I even
- JRPGs to begin/explore/understand the genre

And, of course, this thread, as well as the last console RPG voting of the Codex. There are a few threads that I didn't bother taking into account, namely: the one about obscure/interesting/underrated JRPGs, the one about the best S-RPGs, and the one about JRPGs with interesting systems. Why? Because it's digging deep into "who the fuck knows these games" territory, and most of the games that appears in those threads are mentioned by only one or two users. Otherwise, this list would have jumped from 130 to the 200s easily. Instead of that, you have a list of games that are recommended throughout the Codex. So stuff like The 7th Saga is here, but Metal Max Returns isn't. In regards to S-RPGs, the best ones have pretty much been mentioned in this thread: FFT, Tactics Ogre, Shining Force, Langrisser, you know the drill.

Hopefully it will be useful to you guys. Notable games missing from this list:

- Games released on PC that have "great" ports: Valkyria Chronicles, Dragon's Dogma Dark Arisen, Souls series, mostly Wizardry-related games and Labyrinth of Touhou, Chinese Paladin, Trails in the Sky series, among others.
- Games that as of this date can't be emulated properly on a computer (PS3, PS4, Xbox, 3DS, PS Vita, among other consoles).

Last edited:

vonAchdorf

Arcane
So I'm new to this sub genre. I've only played Chaos rings on the phone and Ni no Kuni demo years ago and I liked both, Ni no Kuni was very exciting.

I currently started the first final fantasy and I'm also liking it but something about walking around a world with nothing on the surface then randomly stumbling into fights or getting ambushed rubs me the wrong way.

Which JRPGs are good or should be played? Does someone have to play all the final fantasy games?

Random battles are (or have been) a staple of JRPGs, but there are enough titles which allow you to pick your fights (e.g.). You don't have to play all the FF titles, or even chronologically, because they are all independent (unless they are -2 / -3 of the same number). They are held together by their systems (classes / jobs) and other repeating features (monsters, spells, googles and chocobos).

boobio

Arcane
Trigger Warning Shitposter
Here are some great jrpg's to start out with:

Beyond the Beyond
Final Fantasy Mystic Quest
Quest 64
Final Fantasy 7
Unlimited Saga

I had a ton of fun with these.

duanth123

Arcane

You only need to play one final fantasy.

You will require an original Game Boy and a fat pack of AA batteries.

The Final Fantasy Legend

RuySan

Augur
Trails in the sky
Phantasy Star 4
Any Fire Emblem
Xenoblade Chronicles
Final Fantasy VI
Etrian Odyssey

Ippolit

Scholar
Patron
RPG Wokedex Bubbles In Memoria Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I recommend Chrono Trigger for JRPG-newbies. Nice Characters, very polished, charming atmosphere and an excellent soundtrack.

RglLhf6.gif

I for myself am very fond of jRPGs and always got the strongest impressions from the soundtracks, which made me forget the weaknesses.

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
This thread again? Alright, fine.

Front Mission
Final Fantasy Tactics
Dragon Quest V
Legend of Dragoon
The Dark Spire
Chrono Trigger
Okage
Tales of Vesperia
SMT Nocturne

Here are some great jrpg's to start out with:

Beyond the Beyond
Final Fantasy Mystic Quest
Quest 64
Final Fantasy 7
Unlimited Saga

I had a ton of fun with these.

Trying too hard. Why not throw an RPG Maker game in while you're at it?

Any Fire Emblem
If by "any" you mean every game before Awakening, then yes. Good show.

sullynathan

Arcane

Random battles are (or have been) a staple of JRPGs, but there are enough titles which allow you to pick your fights (e.g.). You don't have to play all the FF titles, or even chronologically, because they are all independent (unless they are -2 / -3 of the same number). They are held together by their systems (classes / jobs) and other repeating features (monsters, spells, googles and chocobos).
Ok. Another things, why do I feel like this system was put in place for grinding?
Also, what's this weird thing with when your party has your turn, enemies might still attack you first before one of your party members get to attack?

Ivan

Arcane
I don't recommend Chrono Trigger, at least if you're looking for interesting characters and or story. But it does have the best generic-combat encounter song EVAR.

I highly recommend Earthbound and Mother 3.

I agree with oasis789 when he our feedback necessitates our knowing what, in particular, you enjoyed about the JRPGs you have played. The reason I didn't love C.T. is b/c it was overhyped to me. And the reason I love Mother 2 and 3 is because of the restraint it uses in telling its story.

sullynathan

Arcane
Since OP doesn't explain what it is he enjoyed about ni no kuni or chaos rings that would form the basis of a suggestion, it becomes a "what JRPGs do you like" thread, which we have here every other week or so.
Well I like Ni no Kunis art style and combat. It was fun, unlike Final Fantasy 1, I could see which enemies where in a forest before they attacked me. I could then ambush them and the combat was more exciting. Enemies also chased you if they wanted to ambush you. That was as far as the demo got.

I played Chaos Rings a really long time ago, but I remember everything about it being interesting from combat to the characters and the art style.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
On the DS:

Dark Spire (which is actually more of a Western RPG)
Etryan Odyssey

boot

Prophet
Lufia 2 deserves a mention.

Dungeon crawling is actually pretty fun here, none of that random encounter nonsense. There's also a sort of roguelike mode inside the game itself which is more challenging than anything I've ever seen in a JRPG. Story doesn't take itself too seriously, there's a lot of humorous bits.

Front Mission

This too. Nice little mech game.

laclongquan

Arcane
jRPG can be pretty wide, so you need to specify your demands.

If you mean wholesome anime art style, suitable to play with children, I recommend Legend of Mana, with very good story, excellent gameplay, and marvellous feels.

Cronos Cross is a good game with graphic where you dont want to bother with SNES level graphic of Cronos Trigger.

Final Fantasy 8 is a good game to start in FF series. 7 is too blocky in graphic, and 9 is weird, an experiment gone not very right in the series.

Ippolit

Scholar
Patron
RPG Wokedex Bubbles In Memoria Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Final Fantasy 8 is a good game to start in FF series. 7 is too blocky in graphic, and 9 is weird, an experiment gone not very right in the series.

Could you elaborate that? Compared to FF8 the 9 seems tame to me, with classic combat mechanics and a more down-to-earth-way to evoke big feelings, for example
discovering the graveyard in Vivi's village with its "when you stop functioning you have to hide yourself beneath the ground"

HotSnack

Cipher
Chronotrigger - if you are going to play a FF type game then you should play this. Game is pretty much the height of the squaresoft style experience.

If you like FF1 then you might also like Dragon Quest 3. It's a game that still shows its crpg influences with party creation and generally open world, before jrpgs really diverged into its own beast. Their are multiple versions of this game, the best one being the snes one which was Japan only, but you can download a fanpatch.

Other good jrpgs:
  • Persona 3 & 4 - if you are a banter-fag i.e. the highpoints of bg2 for you being the inter-party squabbling, then these are the games for you.
  • Etrian Oddysey 3 & 4 - Really good dungeon crawlers and party creation. 4 is noticeably more friendly to beginners of the series.
  • SMT: Nocturne - if you like grimdark settings, try this.
  • SMT: Strange Journey - Kind of a mish mash of several Atlus properties - Etrian Odyssey gameplay, setting is somewhere between SMT and Persona games.
  • Persona Q - are really fun mish mash of EO and Persona mechanics. Game does assume you have played at least P3 or P4 though.
  • Anacrhonox - made by western devs, but is pretty much a storyfag jrpg.
  • Earthbound & Mother 3 - gameplay is so-so, but their selling point is their entertaining stories.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Suikoden I -> II
Koudelka
I hope Koudelka is good. I just orderered a fat stack of PS1/2 jRPGs and Koudelka was among them.

@OP: Vagrant Story, Kings Field 4, Strange Journey, Digital Devil Saga 1&2, Breath of Fire 4 and Eternal Ring. Pretty much everything recommended ITT is good.

Duraframe300

Arcane
Suikoden I -> II
Koudelka
I hope Koudelka is good. I just orderered a fat stack of PS1/2 jRPGs and Koudelka was among them.

@OP: Vagrant Story, Kings Field 4, Strange Journey, Digital Devil Saga 1&2, Breath of Fire 4 and Eternal Ring. Pretty much everything recommended ITT is good.

Same

Also I want to mention that opinions on good jrpgs are more divided than any other gerne I know. It's not scarce at all that one game that is beloved by one person is considered complete shit by the next (Alone on this page I disagree with mutliple people on specifics). Just look at the various Final Fantasy threads. As such while main recommendations are stated here in the end it will still be very hit and miss.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom