Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Best Larian game?

Best Larian game ?

• Total voters

likaq

Arcane
?

Jedi Exile

Arcanum
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I think it's still DD. D:OS has the best combat, but DD has more non-combat options. It also has the best soundtrack, when Kirill was still at his best.

Urbanolo

Augur
Divine Divinity was what Diablo could have been if it wasn't a brainless hack'n'slash, ergo DD (but the final area sucked hard).

Aenra

Divine Divinity hands down. Anything worthy of being called 'shit' in it is the result of a small studio being run with someone else's decisions money. Had they free reign? Can only imagine. Even so, the mood, the setting, the passion..

Put differently? I rate D:OS as the best RPG of these latest years, but that only goes to show (the a-typical Dexer anyway) what kind of shit we are meant to swallow as 'incline' nowadays. Half-assed, overpriced, overbudgeted attempts at imitating what once was and failing to do even that, forget topping it. If i had to broaden the selection pool.. Whatever else D:OS has, it fails to captivate me on an emotional level. DD did that, and on a shoestring budget. I'd call that something for sure. Put differently yet again? I am waiting for the D:OS editor to give it a full one time try, because i know i won't touch it again. DD on the other hand? I probably fuck around with once every two years or so :)

(i am even less optimistic about D:OS 2. Too flashy, too happy, too bright, too new gen inclusive, too easy, too streamlined visually, too.. too.. too.. DD didn't try so hard. It succeeded at simply being. Tough as a bitch to nail, but that it did. For me anyway)

nikolokolus

Arcane
I almost voted DD, but I think part of that is a warm feeling of nostalgia. I find myself wondering if the me of fifteen years ago would have been more impressed by D:OS or DD? And so I think I have to conclude that for all of it's problems with story and writing, D:OS is clearly the more complete game, the more polished game and the only Larian game I feel like replaying. because the turn-based battles are that much fun (even if the late-game difficulty curve gets softer and softer the more you progress).

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I hadn't been a Larian fan before D:OS, but I am one now. D:OS is hands down the best, or arguably even the only great Larian game, as far as I'm concerned, and the best CRPG released in the past several years at least (even though there have been several other good ones too, like AoD, SitS and Underrail).

Some of their other games may be okay, but never quite reach the status of a classic or a game that would push the entire genre forward like D:OS.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Crooked Bee said it very well, D:OS is a revelation in its time. Probably the best major cRPG out in many years, especially since it brought turn-based back to the "mainstream", in such a smooth way that it made it feel natural even to people that probably couldn't stand it before.
No comparison with the other games of the company, they were generally good but always considered as secondary/third options compared to the properly good games of their genres at the time they came out.

Cadmus

Arcane
DD has the best atmosphere and music, Div2 had the best writing and D:OS has the best combat and the combat wins.

Tito Anic

Arcane
Shitposter
metal scorpions in DD just gets it over the line from D:OS

When playd DD first time i chose thief, i remember bows were realy strong - especialy those from the elven village. Metal scorpions were Op i found out about them from some walkthrough.

plus the hidden boss in the first village that raped you in one shot if you faced him too early

The orc who asked for magic axes?

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
DOS, no doubt about this. Probably the best cRPG in years (save for crappy writing), and quite unique due to the combat system. DD had a nice atmosphere and was an okay game, but overall rather average, and everything else made by Larian were stinking turds. I never cared about Larian until DOS came out and surprised me a lot.

DraQ

Arcane
My vote is on Divinity 2.

DD is still on my backlog, and while DOS is absolutely stellar mechanically, it feels awfully soulless for a Larian game which is bad given that soul and very specific form of wit was what captured us players in the first place and refused to let go back when Larian games were, to put it euphemistically, unpolished mechanically.

DraQ

Arcane
Divinity 2 gave us Maxos!, so yeah.
This no matter how warm and fuzzy making DIY fuel-air explosions using zombies, open flame and judicious application of sharp implements of pain makes you feel, it still isn't quite "Maxos!" or killer bunny, or ruminating on the value of wealth vs life in front of Hallorn, or tons of other stuff (including narrator).

Of course, the best of both worlds would be the best and I hope for just that in DOS2 but if I have to pick, I'll pick what has traditionally been Larian's strength.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
DOS. Not even close. DivDiv a distant second. Rest are pretty garbage.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom