Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Best looking pixel art games?

Arthandas

Prophet
What's the best looking pixel art game you've played?

Let me start with something I've been playing recently:
Guilty Gear XX AC Plus R
Back_ggxxr_aweofshe.png

Back_ggi_china.png

Big Wrangle

This has probably been talked about already but Serpent in the Staglands has some good looking pixel art.
WebImages_b_%2003.png

Last edited by a moderator:

eric__s

ass hater
Developer
Henk Nieborg is my favorite pixel artist. He's famous for his very lush and detailed environments and complex animations.

misadventures-of-flink-02.png

Flink

13733LH.png

1403373286040.png

Lionheart

Clipboard01.jpg

Ambermoon

612962-the-adventures-of-lomax-windows-screenshot-kettle-with-bonus.jpg

The Adventures of Lomax

Mustawd

Don't we have a thread for this already? Or is it buried in the Codex Library subforum?

Pretty sure we had a 2D art thread...

Anyways, 2D > 3D art for rpgs.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Don't we have a thread for this already? Or is it buried in the Codex Library subforum?

Pretty sure we had a 2D art thread...

Anyways, 2D > 3D art for rpgs.
We have a 2D Art Appreciation Thread, which just received a new post a day ago. Although this thread wasn't strictly limited to pixel art, and in fact began with images of Vanillaware's Muramasa and Dragon's Crown, which are beautiful 2D games but very different in style.

Dux

Arcane
It might not be the most crisp entry but no-one can deny the sheer detail of Simon the Sorcerer, and I'm not referring to the abject retardation that is the 25th Anniversary edition or whatever the fuck it's called. The reason I picked Simon is because it's such a visual treat, especially combined with the wonderful music. The hidden faces in the rock, the forest scenes, the distant backgrounds etc. It's really nice.

simon-the-sorcerer-01.jpg

zwanzig_zwoelf

Graverobber Foundation
Developer
Hiouden II, looks fucking fantastic and has interface w/ resizable/movable windows... in DOS.
hiouden_ii___hd_screen_1.jpg
4754_51dde4bf990e5.png

X-Girl brings cyberpunk aethetics to a new level. Why cyberpunk gaymes aren't even trying anything similar is beyond me.
1675909-intro01.png
CbArfiX.png

Last blow, ElmKnight.
PYnydg2.png
vfvKSWk.png

Big Wrangle

The thread mentioned is more general in that it allows vector art to be there as well, but I understand where they're coming from since said thread mostly has pixel art posted from what I've seen.

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron

It's a "medieval cemetery management sim", who knows how it'll turn out but the art at least is decent, unlike most pixelshit games getting released these days.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

It's a "medieval cemetery management sim", who knows how it'll turn out but the art at least is decent, unlike most pixelshit games getting released these days.

Hell, even that Punch Club game of theirs had good pixel art.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom