Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

best of android

Multi-headed Cow

Yeah, I believe so. And then says something like "Keep your save, we'll be expanding this later!" and then years pass and they never do and I'm sad.

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
BROS I AM PLAYING GAME DEV STORY ON THE FAGPHONE AND IT IS ACTUALLY KINDA FUN

Multi-headed Cow

Been fucking with that one a bit too. Seems like a decent toilet game, can squeeze out a new videogame while you're making poops. Seems repetitive enough that it wouldn't be good over an extended period of time though.

L'ennui

Magister
Get the Playstation One emulator FPSECE, it works flawlessly on dual-core phones. For Strategy, you can play Romance of the Three Kingdoms VI, which has more strategy than 99,99 % of PC titles, for tactical you can play XCOM or some such, and for RPG you can play any one of the bazillion RPGs released on that console (I recommend the Persona series, it's worth a look).

And yeah, Star Trader RPG is not bad, but what turned me off was the complete lack of any end-game or sense of progress.

Grand Prix Story (and other Kairosoft games like previously mentioned GameDev, way too simple but work well just to kill time in a bus), Majesty and ofc various emulators.

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
BRO DONT EVENT START THE FAGPHONE WAS MY WIFES IDEA

BRO I JUST GOT WHAT SHE WANTED ALL ON THE SAME PLAN AND WE CAN DO FAGPHONE VIDEO CHAT

Tel Prydain

Augur
I'll post this here too: An Android remake of the 1983 party-based rogue-like Oubliette. It's the best native Android RPG I've tried.
Think Dungeon Master or Eye of the Beholder, but with 10 instantly replacable characters. Nice range of races and classes. There is a free version if you want to try before you buy.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.gabysoft.oubliette

The lack of true EoB or Might & Magic ports makes me pretty grumpy. The'd be perfect for the interface and screen size - and piss easy to do.

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Get Frotz or any interactive fiction player, get a game from IFDB, and you're set to go.

Tel Prydain

Augur
I've got an Galaxy SII and tried to run M&M3 via DOSBox.
It did not end well.

Might try hunting out a Wizardry GBX/NES/SNES rom... Actually, anyone know if the SNES Eye of the Beholder and/or Might and Magic were any good? And where the hell one might find a rom for those?
The console emulation is pretty solid, so that might be the best I can do outside of Oubliette.

LordDenton

Augur
Here is the list of good cell phone games:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tel Prydain

Augur
FYI PC users can check out the original Plato OS Oubliette here:
http://www.cyber1.org/index.asp

Or get the 1983 DOS remake here:
http://www.zimlab.com/oubliette/

Considering how old it is, it’s remarkable what it achieved.
8 races. 10 Classes. To earn a class characters must pick a guild for training – something that might boost their stats, age them or kill them … if they don’t flunk out and get relegated to peasant (this is most often before they’ve even walked their first tile).
And how can you hate a game where 'seduce' is an option?

1983 DOS Version:
dungeon.GIF

iPhone/Andriod version:
OublietteSS4.jpg

Topher

Cipher
Downloading Oubliette now, thanks.

I'd say check out Dark Omens, it's a conversion of the Cthulhu board game but has some solid strategy elements to it. Solid game, by far my favorite of iOS.

*I'll mention a few more iOS games, they might be available for Android as well.

Rebuild. It's a neat little turn-based survival simulator that has you reclaiming a city building by building and managing survivors. Pretty simple but fairly fun and surprisingly hard.

Undercroft, which is like Oubliette or EotB.

Wesnoth. It's a decent turn-based strategy game, has a PC version as well and a somewhat active MP community. It's got a lot of campaigns to compete and you carry troops through them beggining to end, assuming they survive. There are a few threads around here that talk about it.

Hunters 2 . I haven't played too much but it's a turn-based squad-based strategy game. You can manage weapons and armor upgrades, there's a campaign as well as endless mercenary missions for you to take your crew on, you're actually a band of mercs. It's got over watch-mode which is a plus and kind of reminds me of a simpler X-com, cause of the "radiant" missions, though definitely not as good. Also has permadeath/ironman.

MCA
How the fuck do you get DOSBox to work on Android? It always freezes and then crashes on my Galaxy Note. I'm guessing it's a compatibility issue. Are there any frontends like D-Fend for DOSBox on Android?

MCA
Choice of the Dragon
Choice of Broadsides
Choice of the Vampire
Choice of Romance

Choose your own adventure games. Simple, fun, easy on your battery, perfect for a phone game. I believe there are threads around here somewhere for the Dragon and Broadsides adventures.

Add Zombie Chronicles Part 1 and Part 2 to that list. Not from the Choice games but in the same style, except even more extensive. There are side quests, better branching than Choice games and stuff. Downside is, there are many typos and it looks like it was written by a high school drop out but interesting story nonetheless and Part 2 is still ongoing, meaning periodic updates and it's free.

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Are DOSBOX or emulated games which require keyboard input even playable on an Android phone ? Not as in "can they run", but as in "Shouldn't you kill yourself instead of doing that ?"

I do have a netbook, but playing an AppleII or DOS game while commuting get you weird looks.

Peter

Arcane
Are DOSBOX or emulated games which require keyboard input even playable on an Android phone ? Not as in "can they run", but as in "Shouldn't you kill yourself instead of doing that ?"

I do have a netbook, but playing an AppleII or DOS game while commuting get you weird looks.

aDoSBox has customizable on-screen controls. You can assign up to 6 keys to different on-screen buttons. Mouse emulation is really shitty, though. You can drag the cursor with you finger and tap to left click, but I didn't figure out how to get right clicking working even after fiddling around with the setting for like an hour. And it would be better if the mouse cursor just moved to where you tapped on the screen, instead of having to drag it. If you want to play a game that works within those constraints, it should be fine, but I was very disappointed when I almost got Ultima Underworld playable on my Galaxy S 2.

Also, I just wanted to mention that the Choice of Games guys released Choice of Zombies a couple of days ago since some bros talked about it earlier itt. Available on Android too, but not for free (yet?).

MCA
Somebody should do a gamepad for smartphones like the examples I gave above but with a mini trackball.

Really what do you need to get such a project rolling? I thought about 3d printing my own gamepad design and hacking the insides of one of those gamepads to fit my printed case but I don't know the first thing about adding new functionality to circuitry, much less deal with its programming to make it work on Android. Otherwise, mini trackball controllers sold as standalone components are dime a dozen.

Any Kwan pigs up for kickstarting one? : p

Oriebam

Formerly M4AE1BR0-something
sup guys didn't read olololo

I ended up in possession of a galaxy ace* last week, but I can't into cellphones or smartphones, what kinds of cool free and/or illegal shit(because I'm not just fucking hardcore, I'm a fucking pirate IRL) can I do with it, besides running DOSBox

is there any problem with downloading the updates they pester me about?

the touchscreen feels VERY FUCKING imprecise and browsing the internet in it is kind of glitchy, is the problem with me, the vanilla-ness of the cellphone or is it really shit? Is there any pack of good stuff I can download for the cellphone, like the mod packs for your favorite shitty game?

*disclaimer: not stolen or lost, so don't bug me about it

MCA
That doesn't sound good. Google to see if that's a common problem. Either way, return it.

There is a number of semi-decent Turn-Based games for Android.

Templar Assault, 4-character squad game inspired by Warhammer Space Hulk:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.tresebrothers.games.templars

Xenowar, ok X-Com clone.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.grinninglizard.UFOAttack

Cyber Knights RPG, tactical cyberpunk sandbox game.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.tresebrothers.games.cyberknights

UFO: Alien Invasion, this is the Android port of the free open source game but it's a shit port. Still might be worth a shot if you're desperate.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.sourceforge.ufoai

Zombie Defence, more like a management strategy game. You send your men scavenging, doing stuff, build barricades etc. and then hit done and watch your men fend off zombies. You don't get actively involved with fights so I guess that's kind of like TB.

http://www.smartkeitai.com/zombie-defense-survival-game-for-android-video/

Some of those have a free and a paid version but I don't know what's different between the two for any of them.

MCA
If you are homo, I guess:

That fucking character art. And real-time combat disqualifies it for me anyway.

It seems like it's a multi-title series. There are Zenonia 1 to 4.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom