Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

best of android

Helly

Translating for brofists
Patron
Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
img02.jpg
img03.jpg
img04.jpg

Pocket tissues :smug:

L'ennui

Magister
Dungeon Crawl has an Android port that I've been playing a lot, lately. Link below is for the ASCII version. There's a beta for the Tiles version, but I haven't tried it.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/...esult#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDMsImNvbS5jcmF3bG1iIl0.

Works flawlessly,provides a touch-based keyboard with all necessary keys and the same replayable, enjoyable, commendable gameplay (and various means of dying) you've all come to know and love.

Self-Ejected

ScottishMartialArts

Self-Ejected
Picked up Chrono Trigger on a whim today. HOLY FUCK THESE CONTROLS!!! The port generally seems competent but, good god, touch screen controls are NOT the wave of the future.

panzertoter

Arcane
I found something nice lately - Android remake of Wizardry. 1st part is translated (poorly, but playable). It offers few enhancements to the original - f.e. automap (you have to buy a scroll) or stat re-rolls (tap 'cancel few' times when creating a character).

A user named cat

I haven't messed with mobile gaming since I sold my Kindle Fire, but I remember trying out GemRB and playing some Torment after I grew tired of tower defense clones and choose your own adventure titles. It ran fine but touch screen mouse controls are a pain. Still, better than playing all those shitty homebrew-like RPGs that flood the markets.

gromit

Arcane
Dungeon Crawl has an Android port that I've been playing a lot, lately. Link below is for the ASCII version. There's a beta for the Tiles version, but I haven't tried it.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/...esult#?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDMsImNvbS5jcmF3bG1iIl0.

Works flawlessly, provides a touch-based keyboard with all necessary keys and the same replayable, enjoyable, commendable gameplay (and various means of dying) you've all come to know and love.
Fixed, and THANK YOU. This is simply magical on my Droid 4. You have inclined my travel-time.

I was getting so sick of the Cory Trese games (Space Trader, Templar Assault, Cyber Knights.) His heart's in the right place, but they all undeniably lack x-factor in a major way.

MapMan

Arcane
Dunno if it has been mentioned but Superbrothers: Sword & Sworcery EP seems to be really good. I played only a few minutes but the music and art are fantastic and the overall gameplay looks good as well.

L'ennui

Magister

Works flawlessly, provides a touch-based keyboard with all necessary keys and the same replayable, enjoyable, commendable gameplay (and various means of dying) you've all come to know and love.
Fixed, and THANK YOU. This is simply magical on my Droid 4. You have inclined my travel-time.

I was getting so sick of the Cory Trese games (Space Trader, Templar Assault, Cyber Knights.) His heart's in the right place, but they all undeniably lack x-factor in a major way.

Let us cherish this precious incline.

Cory Trese games feel incomplete, though I don't mind the X-Factor or lack thereof. For instance, I like Space Trader, except there doesn't seem to be any sense of progression to it... I mean, sure I could grind whatever until I can get a better ship or somesuch, but I haven't found anything to work towards that would be worth getting a better ship for in the first place.

Also, been toying around with ShadowGun : Dead Zone.

Yes, it's basically Gears of War multiplayer on a smartphone.

That makes it all kinds of unfashionable anathema in these parts, no doubt.

BUT

It's fun. And free. Try it?

Destroid

Arcane
I've chatted to the dev of this game a few times, as I understand its a bit like diablo. I don't have an android so I can't say if it's good or not but it has a demo.

gromit

Arcane
Cory Trese games feel incomplete, though I don't mind the X-Factor or lack thereof. For instance, I like Space Trader, except there doesn't seem to be any sense of progression to it... I mean, sure I could grind whatever until I can get a better ship or somesuch, but I haven't found anything to work towards that would be worth getting a better ship for in the first place.
I am of the staunch opinion that making progression itself -- no, play itself -- enjoyable is the very domain of x-factor. If the game contained actual fun, rather than a rote approximation thereof, dependence on a carrot-stick routine would be secondary. I tried to love them all, so desperately, but could not.

Severian Silk

Are there any good recent Android RPGs? I was just looking at Blades of Exile homepage, and thought that damn this would make a good mobile game... :(

I installed FE Heroes and PotK but haven't tried them yet. I think they are fremium RPGs since Google says they feature in game purchases.

[edit]

I guess, Iceblink engine port would be nice too.

[edit]

Google Play IceBlinkBasic App

Initial release posted 09/08/2017. Out of beta after many, many months and tons of great community feedback and support:

IceBlinkBasic RPG on Google Play

Last edited by a moderator:
Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
I found a pretty alright twin stick shooter called Xenowerk. It's fun enough but gets repetitive after a while.

Severian Silk

I'm not playing a shitty action game on a platform with no physical buttons!

Severian Silk

I'm looking at some bluetooth controllers that attach to a smartphone. They're surprisingly cheap. I might get one. Does anyone have any recommendations?

Last edited by a moderator:

Shackleton

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Yes, don't do it. I got one and it destroys the basic attraction of android gaming- portability. If you're at home you've got your PC and if you're not at home, you're going to look like a major fucking loser if you whip out a bluetooth controller on your lunch break/ bus trip or whatever and start fiddling. Mine is gathering dust in my drawer and every time I open it and gaze on it I'm filled with shame I ever wasted money on the damn thing.

The whole point of android phone games is that they're good for pick up and play to kill a few minutes, not that it's a PC/console replacement. I love my android emulators but fuck using anything but the onscreen controls and fuck emulating anything not turn based.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom