Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Best RPG of the 90s Poll at XP4T

Dorateen

Arcane
Wait... they have Clouds of Xeen, Darkside of Xeen, and then World of Xeen all as separate selections? That's not going to split and dilute potential votes at all, right.

Might & Magic: For Blood and Honor was released in 1999. Should be on the list.

Anyway, all the Gold Box games, all the Might & Magic Games, and both Wizardries.

mondblut

Arcane
So many great titles are missing, but offtopic crap like system shock, elvira or syndicate is in. Did they poison the guy who did the 80s poll or something?

Night Goat

The Immovable Autism
Patron
No Fun Allowed
Codex 2013 Codex 2014
I was expecting Final Fantasy VII to be at the top of the list, was pleasantly surprised to see that only 13% voted for it.

thexsa

Educated
I was expecting Final Fantasy VII to be at the top of the list, was pleasantly surprised to see that only 13% voted for it.

That's like saying you are content with more than 10% of your neighbours are pedophiles.

Myself I am disappointed that turd even made it on the list as an alternative.

Old Hans

Arcane
how does Fountain of Dreams keep finding its way onto these lists

but you never see Escape From Hell!

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Baldur's Gate is winning, but they bundle I and II together... :/

World of Xeen is at #14, but it could be at #10 if you add the votes for M&M IV and M&M V... of course, no way to know if the votes overlap.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Baldur's Gate is winning, but they bundle I and II together... :/

Baldur's Gate 2 isn't from the 90s. I believe it's intended to be the first game only.

On the other hand, they do combine Ultima VII and Serpent Isle. Wonder how things would have split if they hadn't.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
This was actually quite hard. My voting ended up being bullshit because in some cases I just couldn't choose which game ends up off the list. Ended up with:
Betrayal at Krondor
Dark Sun: Shattered Lands
Fallout 1
World Of Xeen
Might and Magic VI
Planescape: Torment
The Elder Scrolls II: Daggerfall
Ultima Underworld: The Stygian Abyss
Wizardry VII
Pools of Darkness

This leaves out MM3, Quest For Glory (would've probably voted 2 or 3), Star Trail, Ultima 6 and 7 and Martian Dreams, Wizardry 6, and one of my favourite underrated gems, The Summoning, off the list, but I don't know what I can take out of the above to replace with. Leaving QFG and ST off really hurts, and it feels weird not having U7 on there either.

I don't like the way they've laid out the games though. Why is U7 a single game, and why are there 3 entires for WOX? WOX is a single game, with both parts completely interlocking, while both U7s are completely separate and technically have nothing linking them, hell even plotwise SI doesn't follow directly from BG.

Also, much as I love Fantasy Empires and wanted to vote for it, it's not an RPG. And if it is, then Warlords II and III should be on here as well. System Shock 2, fine, though I don't agree, but SS1?

Unwanted

Obama Phone

Unwanted
Between Fallout 2 and Planescape: Torment, I pick Fallout 2. Everyone on this site claims Torment is the best RPG ever created, and I disagree. I wrote a review as to why I think this when I first registered this new avatar (I've been lurking since 2006), and it was promptly deleted. To sum it up in one sentence: what killed Torment was its story that tried waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too hard. Really, I've played it about 2-3 times and the story failed to capture my interest. I read a lot too, so I have a good grasp on what a good story is in both fiction and non-fiction. Anyways, Fallout 2 wins my recommendation for the best 90's RPG. Just make sure to play it with the newest Restoration Patch.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
System Shock is now a RPG?

You could make an argument for SS2, but SS1? It has an inventory I guess?

System Shock is a pure FPS game. System Shock 2 however is a FPS/RPG hybrid.

There is not really all that much of RPG mechanics in System Shock, but there are in System Shock 2.

Not saying System Shock is a bad game or anything, it is AWESOME! If you have not played it before, PLAY IT NOW. The System Shock portable make it much more easier to play now (with the mouse look option).

Self-Ejected

ScottishMartialArts

Self-Ejected
System Shock is now a RPG?

You could make an argument for SS2, but SS1? It has an inventory I guess?

System Shock is a pure FPS game. System Shock 2 however is a FPS/RPG hybrid.

There is not really all that much of RPG mechanics in System Shock, but there are in System Shock 2.

Not saying System Shock is a bad game or anything, it is AWESOME! If you have not played it before, PLAY IT NOW. The System Shock portable make it much more easier to play now (with the mouse look option).

Oh I agree completely. System Shock 1 is no more an RPG than Thief The Dark Project, although both happen to be two of the best games ever made.

And I still have my copy of SS1, complete with printed docs! :)

Ladonna

Arcane
Fallout 1
Fallout 2
Planescape
Champions of Krynn
Death Knights of Krynn
Treasures of the Savage Frontier
Buck Rogers Countdown to Doomsday
Ultima Worlds of adventure 2 Martian Dreams
Ultima VII
Ultima Underworld.

I like some others on there, but went by a system of how many times I have gone back and finished the game.

Unfortunately a few of my favourites are missing (especially the Magic Candle 2, 3 and Bloodstone)

Iselor

Educated
Where is Might and Magic VII ?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom