Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

NSFW Best Thread Ever [No SJW-related posts allowed]

Ninjerk

Arcane
Its probably cause of the streamers like in the video I posted Twich is updating thier policy. Not cause of the dudes playing with their shirt off as they're suggesting. Guys popularity is measured for the most part at the amount of skill they have while girls by the amount of cleavage they show.
But if you say anything by even suggesting the truth(that most of the girl streamers are sluts in it only for the money) you're labeled as a women hater. Misogyny!
If chicks play as much as we do then where are all the proffesional girl gamers? If we take LoL for example, not a single girl is at pro level out of 30+ million people.
There are girls getting paid for playing LoL :troll:

Admiral jimbob

gay as all hell
Wasteland 2
Its probably cause of the streamers like in the video I posted Twich is updating thier policy. Not cause of the dudes playing with their shirt off as they're suggesting. Guys popularity is measured for the most part at the amount of skill they have while girls by the amount of cleavage they show.
But if you say anything by even suggesting the truth(that most of the girl streamers are sluts in it only for the money) you're labeled as a women hater. Misogyny!
If you're in it for the money you're just shrewd. Can't blame anyone who takes absurd amounts of easy money for being mediocre at games and lowering their tops a bit. Call it a failure of the free market, as it were

Perkel

Arcane
If you're in it for the money you're just shrewd. Can't blame anyone who takes absurd amounts of easy money for being mediocre at games and lowering their tops a bit. Call it a failure of the free market, as it were

That reminds me i need to indiegogo fundriser for my sex change operation.

Elhoim

Iron Tower Studio
Developer
UKqCKGi.png

Elhoim :hmmm:

WTF? jajajaja

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Wait what

For a moment I thought they might refer to small maps and levels. That would have been too crazy I guess. Instead they're actually referring to the minimap and pretty much saying it destroys their precious immershun. :retarded:

Luzur

Good Sir
Wait what

For a moment I thought they might refer to small maps and levels. That would have been too crazy I guess. Instead they're actually referring to the minimap and pretty much saying it destroys their precious immershun. :retarded:

but, without it, how will they find their way? even more quest marks? like "take this corridor" arrows?

Borelli

Arcane
Having a minimap in the corner causes my OCD to flare and diverts my attention from the main screen. Immersion or not, games are much better without it.

http://elderscrolls.wikia.com/wiki/Thread:278184

Daxus, I feel like you're trying more to get us to agree with your point of view rather than hear our points of view. I mean the other crowd you asked seems to look at it like game developers should appeal to a small minority of gamers (those who invest a lot of time into a character) and not appeal to the majority of gamers today (filty casuals [joke]). You have to remember, game developers work for a business. A business is primarily concerned with making money. If they don't appeal to the majority, they lose money. I know people who hate Oblivion but love Skyrim. Why? Because they couldn't wrap their head around Oblivion, and it pains me to think what they'd do in Morrowind. Yes, it's dumber. Does that make the game bad? Not unless you're an elitist, and in that case you're an asshole.

tumblr_inline_nbua91c6PX1r0sq27.gif

Chamezero

939e3ab608.jpg

dat blood :lol:

This is the second screenshot in the store page
8c3b10a871.jpg

"Steam told me to do it!" :roll:

He is also complaining about death threats. It's a matter of time before he starts to blame GamerGate like the Paranautical Activity faggot.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
French Efficiency:

Ubisoft's Game Developer 'Limbo'

One morning late last year, not long after Guillaume, a developer at Ubisoft Montreal, had finished working on his newest game, he was told he'd be moving offices. This was not particularly unusual for Ubisoft Montreal, a company that employs close to 3,000 people and works on upwards of ten new video games at a time, moving developers around constantly. What was unusual was where he was going.

Guillaume—who asked that I not use his real name for this story—soon found himself on the third floor of one of Ubisoft's buildings in downtown Montreal. Today he describes athe building—called "160," after its address—as a dark, grey office, with dim lighting and a low ceiling. As Guillaume started settling in, he found other Ubisoft employees playing Facebook games and watching movies, essentially doing nothing as they waited for the company to give them new assignments. For the days, weeks, or maybe even months to come, they were in "limbo," as Guillaume put it.

This is "interproject," a little-known department at Ubisoft Montreal that houses developers who are between games. When a Ubisoft game is shipped, or cancelled, the company will sometimes send employees to interproject, where they wind up applying for new positions within the company, occasionally helping out other teams, and watching movies all day until they're reassigned… or laid off. Anywhere from 50 to 100 employees might work in interproject at a time, according to people who have worked there, and though they'll sometimes be dragooned for game teams that need extra help, they spend most of their days doing whatever they want.

Sound strange? Call it Video Game Developer Purgatory. Ubisoft described it to us as a place that allows them to retain employees between projects. Although perspectives on the role and function of interproject are varied, people I've talked to who have worked there don't have a ton of great things to say about the experience.

"It's the most depressing building I have ever been in in my life," Guillaume said. "The lighting is so old and rundown… It looks like something you'd find yourself in while running from hordes of zombies."

"It is one of the most depressing things that can happen," said a different person who has worked there. "Many people that do end up in interproject for any length of time just end up quitting. You go from working your ass off and giving a shit to just basically being set aside and forgotten."

One particularly strange wrinkle is the way in which interproject employees get new jobs. In order to get on another project, according to the people who worked there, interproject staff have to apply for new openings within the company. They already work for Ubisoft Montreal, but in order to find actual work, they often need to go through applications and interviews as if they're coming in from elsewhere.

Every so often, according to the people I talked to, Ubisoft will clear out interproject and let go of employees who have not found a new position in the studio.

"One day someone is there and the next they are not," said one person who has worked there. "There are like 2,500 people employed at the studio and its a good possibility you don't know many of them, so when someone comes in who you don't know, they could leave before you even know their name or whatever. So you really have no clue what happened to them other than that they are gone. I can't remember how many times someone would ask where that guy sitting over there went. They're just gone."

The silver lining: For employees who find new projects quickly, it can actually be a pleasant opportunity, according to a former Ubisoft employee. Programmers and project managers, for example, are often high in demand within the studio, and if they're sent to interproject, they could wind up leaving after just a few weeks.

"If you can get on another project quickly then it's like a little mini-vacation," said the Ubisoft employee. "You go there, hang out, and then move on."

But other employees said they spent months and months in interproject, unsuccessfully looking for new gigs within the company, before they were finally let go.

A horse of course

French Efficiency:

tl;dr because I read that stuff a few months ago, but I'd speculate their uncharacteristic reluctance to give people the boot is the result of either A: just having too many fucking people working on totally different projects - you might shift a bunch of UI artists from working on a mainline AC title to a browser game, then to a spinoff, then back to the AAAA stuff etc. and never being sure when you might need them at short notice or B: some requirement of the snowfrog subsidies, e.g. it's more profitable for them to keep X number of employees on the payroll to meet gubmint requirements than to freelance them.

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA
French Efficiency:

Ubisoft's Game Developer 'Limbo'

One morning late last year, not long after Guillaume, a developer at Ubisoft Montreal, had finished working on his newest game, he was told he'd be moving offices. This was not particularly unusual for Ubisoft Montreal, a company that employs close to 3,000 people and works on upwards of ten new video games at a time, moving developers around constantly. What was unusual was where he was going.

Guillaume—who asked that I not use his real name for this story—soon found himself on the third floor of one of Ubisoft's buildings in downtown Montreal. Today he describes athe building—called "160," after its address—as a dark, grey office, with dim lighting and a low ceiling. As Guillaume started settling in, he found other Ubisoft employees playing Facebook games and watching movies, essentially doing nothing as they waited for the company to give them new assignments. For the days, weeks, or maybe even months to come, they were in "limbo," as Guillaume put it.

This is "interproject," a little-known department at Ubisoft Montreal that houses developers who are between games. When a Ubisoft game is shipped, or cancelled, the company will sometimes send employees to interproject, where they wind up applying for new positions within the company, occasionally helping out other teams, and watching movies all day until they're reassigned… or laid off. Anywhere from 50 to 100 employees might work in interproject at a time, according to people who have worked there, and though they'll sometimes be dragooned for game teams that need extra help, they spend most of their days doing whatever they want.

Sound strange? Call it Video Game Developer Purgatory. Ubisoft described it to us as a place that allows them to retain employees between projects. Although perspectives on the role and function of interproject are varied, people I've talked to who have worked there don't have a ton of great things to say about the experience.

"It's the most depressing building I have ever been in in my life," Guillaume said. "The lighting is so old and rundown… It looks like something you'd find yourself in while running from hordes of zombies."

"It is one of the most depressing things that can happen," said a different person who has worked there. "Many people that do end up in interproject for any length of time just end up quitting. You go from working your ass off and giving a shit to just basically being set aside and forgotten."

One particularly strange wrinkle is the way in which interproject employees get new jobs. In order to get on another project, according to the people who worked there, interproject staff have to apply for new openings within the company. They already work for Ubisoft Montreal, but in order to find actual work, they often need to go through applications and interviews as if they're coming in from elsewhere.

Every so often, according to the people I talked to, Ubisoft will clear out interproject and let go of employees who have not found a new position in the studio.

"One day someone is there and the next they are not," said one person who has worked there. "There are like 2,500 people employed at the studio and its a good possibility you don't know many of them, so when someone comes in who you don't know, they could leave before you even know their name or whatever. So you really have no clue what happened to them other than that they are gone. I can't remember how many times someone would ask where that guy sitting over there went. They're just gone."

The silver lining: For employees who find new projects quickly, it can actually be a pleasant opportunity, according to a former Ubisoft employee. Programmers and project managers, for example, are often high in demand within the studio, and if they're sent to interproject, they could wind up leaving after just a few weeks.

"If you can get on another project quickly then it's like a little mini-vacation," said the Ubisoft employee. "You go there, hang out, and then move on."

But other employees said they spent months and months in interproject, unsuccessfully looking for new gigs within the company, before they were finally let go.

Looks like Kotaku is first of the sites to get screwed by the publishers after the holiday season, first Totillo tries to throw AAAs under the bus and blasts off at the preview hype pieces in TB's interview, and now they publish an article shitting on Ubisoft. Let's see how well they do without review codes.

Perkel

Arcane
I don't know anymore if that game is broken or awesome.

Like someone said. Look "goat simulator" ! fuck it were doning the same with zombies

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom