Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

NSFW Best Thread Ever [No SJW-related posts allowed]

Cadmus

Arcane
I think it would be nice if Metro would watch the whole video and told us what was in it.
the video is shit, TB is being a retard as usual and talks about bullshit indie shovelware crap games. No mention of Divinity:OS. I'm glad he reminded me he's a pedestrian dudebro idiot, I almost started liking him for the gamergate stuff.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Watching TB's video. Cripes, that "Most Interesting Gaming YouTube channel" part makes me feel sick to the stomach. It's namedropping, it's a fellow colleague telling everyone how much he's "in" with the cool kids.

At least the most interesting channel mentioned nabs the award.

Will update if more cringe-worty material pops up.

EDIT: Not exactly a cringe-worthy edit, but I can understand his choice for the "Title I most turned my console on for" selection. My mate had a PS2 back in the day, and while he had many of the good titles for it, the No. 1 title he played on it was Buzz, the questionairre game. (A game I tended to wreck people at back in the day, but that's another story.)

EDIT 2: ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME?!? In his category for "Stop pre-ordering games award" he names some non-PC titles, namely "Halo: Master Chief Edition" and "Drive Club", among some other titles well-deserving of that award, though personally I was wondering if he'd include "Destiny" on that list.

Then he counts his "The game that most needs to see the light of Gaben" award, meaning games that should be released on the PC, and he names:

Halo: Master Chief Edition
Drive Club
Destiny
Sunset Overdrive

That's two titles whose console launches were ABYSMALLY BAD by HIS OWN WORDS, one title who turned out be a massive disappointment irregardless of TB's opinion, and Sunset Overdrive which I have no comment on because I have no clue. Yet TB belives that Halo deserves the most attention of PC users. And all throughout GamerGate this man has been shouting "hypocrite" at various people, yet proves with this video to be one himself. Why is this man getting ANY attention whatsoever?!? For this video alone this man should be mocked, ridiculed and completely laughed out of the gaming community.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

AngryEddy

Self-Ejected
7:00 onwards "I'm glad that game companies are selling their OST's separately and getting recognition, and I hope this continues to grow"

How about game companies not double bill the consumer, and just keep the OST in an easily accessible folder, for free, you know, since you already paid for the game and all of the content within? Fuck TB.

Drax

Arcane
7:00 onwards "I'm glad that game companies are selling their OST's separately and getting recognition, and I hope this continues to grow"

How about game companies not double bill the consumer, and just keep the OST in an easily accessible folder, for free, you know, since you already paid for the game and all of the content within? Fuck TB.
:bro:

I remember my wonderful surprise as a kid when I first put my Warcraft II cd on the player and it fucking started playing the OST. Great times.

pippin

Sometimes it is. I've found out that Hotline Miami, for instance, has the whole soundtrack in .ogg format in some folder, while they still sell said soundtrack for, normally, 10 bucks on Steam.
One more point for GoG I guess.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron

pippin said:
Sometimes it is. I've found out that Hotline Miami, for instance, has the whole soundtrack in .ogg format in some folder, while they still sell said soundtrack for, normally, 10 bucks on Steam.
One more point for GoG I guess.

I welcome any game that has the soundtrack "easily" accessible, like CD tracks or audio files located in the game folder, or go the extra distance sometime and release it in high-quality format.

At the same time, I realize that there are far too many stupid people in the world that have lots of money lying around, so seperately sold OST's are a thing now, and good for those that can both profit from it and circumvent it.

I'm fondly remembered of the time when I had to dig up a program in the mid-90's that allowed me to rip the .MOD tracks from Star Control 2 so that I could have the soundtrack in a listenable format, and that how that program required user input as to at what byte you had to start and what byte you had to end, and how I later found a .MOD player that allowed me to "purge" the surplus bytes from the .MOD files. A "DYI soundtrack", if you will.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
That's two titles whose console launches were ABYSMALLY BAD by HIS OWN WORDS, one title who turned out be a massive disappointment irregardless of TB's opinion, and Sunset Overdrive which I have no comment on because I have no clue. Yet TB belives that Halo deserves the most attention of PC users. And all throughout GamerGate this man has been shouting "hypocrite" at various people, yet proves with this video to be one himself. Why is this man getting ANY attention whatsoever?!? For this video alone this man should be mocked, ridiculed and completely laughed out of the gaming community.

I'm not sure I follow. Yes, the Halo Master Chief Collection was a mess. Nevertheless, Halo is of one the most famous console-exclusive video game series and it'd be nice if it finally made its way to PC (much like Halo 1 did so many years ago, though people seem to have forgotten that). Bug-free, of course - one can assume that by the time a PC port was produced, the bugs would be ironed out.

"Deserves attention" has got nothing to do with it. Halo is famous. It already has people's attention, no matter where it is. You can't do anything about that.

Last edited:

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
I'm not sure I follow. Yes, the Halo Master Chief Collection was a mess. Nevertheless, Halo is of one the most famous console-exclusive video game series and it'd be nice if it finally made its way to PC (much like Halo 1 did so many years ago, though people seem to have forgotten that). Bug-free, of course - one can assume that by the time a PC port was produced, the bugs would be ironed out.

"Deserves attention" has got nothing to do with it. Halo is famous. It already has people's attention, no matter where it is. You can't do anything about that.

My post may have been a little over the top, but the point I was trying to make was: Why does TB believe that the one console title that PC users should be getting, is a shit remake with a disastrous release? There's enough crap on the PC already being shoveled out almost on a daily basis. The "size" of the title is irrelevant, how much attention it gets is only relevant in the case of whether the attention was good or bad, based on the title's merits.

In this particular case the multiplayer was (is?) broken for months. Why plague Steam with yet another game with shit multiplayer? Why make that choice from a selection of titles of which many (3/4) had equally bad releases? How about selecting a title that was actually good and would be a welcome addition on the PC, for once? Not another multiplayer shooter, not another racing game, something different?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
My post may have been a little over the top, but the point I was trying to make was: Why does TB believe that the one console title that PC users should be getting, is a shit remake with a disastrous release? There's enough crap on the PC already being shoveled out almost on a daily basis. The "size" of the title is irrelevant, how much attention it gets is only relevant in the case of whether the attention was good or bad, based on the title's merits.

In this particular case the multiplayer was (is?) broken for months. Why plague Steam with yet another game with shit multiplayer? Why make that choice from a selection of titles of which many (3/4) had equally bad releases? How about selecting a title that was actually good and would be a welcome addition on the PC, for once? Not another multiplayer shooter, not another racing game, something different?

I might agree with you if he was talking about some random new IP console title that's buggy, but like I said, this is Halo. And not just one Halo game, but a collection of ALL the Halo games. If you're a PC gaming advocate, that's something you would want to see on PC.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that TB isn't monocled or hardcore - he's just a PC gaming enthusiast who wants the PC to get all the major AAA titles and "kick ass" like the consoles do. His attitude towards these buggy console games is probably something alone the lines of "You fucked up, devs, now do the right thing, fix your game up, and bring it to PC where the big boys are". Not a begging for scraps "PLEASE GIVE US PORTS OF YOUR SHITTY GAMES PLEASE" thing.

Anyway, did you have a particular "something different" in mind?

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
I might agree with you if he was talking about some random new IP console title that's buggy, but like I said, this is Halo. And not just one Halo game, but a collection of ALL the Halo games. If you're a PC gaming advocate, that's something you would want to see on PC.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that TB isn't monocled or hardcore - he's just a PC gaming enthusiast who wants the PC to get all the major AAA titles and "kick ass" like the consoles do. His attitude towards these buggy console games is probably something alone the lines of "You fucked up, devs, now do the right thing, fix your game up, and bring it to PC where the big boys are". Not a begging for scraps "PLEASE GIVE US PORTS OF YOUR SHITTY GAMES PLEASE" thing.

Anyway, did you have a particular "something different" in mind?

No, I had no particular title in mind.

And while I myself would be unlikely to play the Halo games, I agree with you that the Halo titles, in decent playable upgraded versions, would be something I'd like to see on the PC.

But if what you say is true, and TB is a PC gaming enthusiast who wants the big console releases on the PC, in playable states, then his approach with the "arbitrary awards" video is that of a serf who condems the king's new tax laws ("Stop pre-ordering games" award), while also asking for those same laws to be brought to his lands ("Games that most need to see the light of Gaben"). A man who has been advocating for ethics in gaming journalism, and about putting one's foot down when both the journalists and the developers/publishers screw up, suddenly forgets everything he's said and develops a case of Stockholm Syndrome towards the devs/publishers.

One of those two award categories should not have been put in the video, that much is for certain.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
a serf who condems the king's new tax laws ("Stop pre-ordering games" award), while also asking for those same laws to be brought to his lands ("Games that most need to see the light of Gaben")

I don't see the connection. He's not telling people to pre-order the game on Steam, should it ever be announced that it will be released there.

I guess what you're trying to say is that because those games were fucked up on console, they should be considered tainted and shunned even in other contexts, but not everybody is that extreme about these things.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
I don't see the connection. He's not telling people to pre-order the game on Steam, should it ever be announced that it will be released there.

He hasn't done so...yet.

I guess what you're trying to say is that because those games were fucked up on console, they should be considered tainted and shunned even in other contexts, but not everybody is that extreme about these things.

Yes, put words into my mouth, that makes any debate/dialogue reasonable and sensible.

Are we done here?

Turjan

Arcane
But if what you say is true, and TB is a PC gaming enthusiast who wants the big console releases on the PC, in playable states, then his approach with the "arbitrary awards" video is that of a serf who condems the king's new tax laws ("Stop pre-ordering games" award), while also asking for those same laws to be brought to his lands ("Games that most need to see the light of Gaben"). A man who has been advocating for ethics in gaming journalism, and about putting one's foot down when both the journalists and the developers/publishers screw up, suddenly forgets everything he's said and develops a case of Stockholm Syndrome towards the devs/publishers.
He condemned the release of the Halo Collection release mostly for its not working match-making function and asked for this one to be transferred to Steam, where he expects it to work. Which means this "double award" makes sense if you follow his logic.

Then again, his nominations in the respective categories were definitely more interesting than the awards themselves. Also, he's much too wordy. I had this running in the background while doing something in the kitchen, and it was still too long-winded.

Cadmus

Arcane
Anytime TB mentions anything RPG (like Wasteland 2) it becomes obvious he has no idea wtf he is talking about nor does he give a fuck about the genre. It's more like "uh so I heard these games are kinda popular with nerds so I should give them a mention, uh where's my doritos"

Perkel

Arcane
Anytime TB mentions anything RPG (like Wasteland 2) it becomes obvious he has no idea wtf he is talking about nor does he give a fuck about the genre. It's more like "uh so I heard these games are kinda popular with nerds so I should give them a mention, uh where's my doritos"

"What is RPG ? Simulator 2015"

Duraframe300

Arcane
And while I myself would be unlikely to play the Halo games, I agree with you that the Halo titles, in decent playable upgraded versions, would be something I'd like to see on the PC.

Single Player is though. Sure, MP is a big draw, but if you only want to play single player the collection does its job.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom