Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

NSFW Best Thread Ever [No SJW-related posts allowed]

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Can you blame him? It's a very effective at what it does and incredibly quick and low budget to make. Gotta exploit this new genre before it dies out or someone else makes them.

I had a quick look at the copycats a while ago, all of which are free games. There's one for Disney, another for Mario, one for Spongebob Squarepants and finally one for Chuck E. Cheese. And that's not counting the fan-made Freddy games.

pippin

Youtube has had this rental system for a long time now, but I don't really know if people really make money out of it.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron

While I appreciate the flashback Infinitron , I am also disappoint. :rpgcodex:

ANYONE trying to be serious in/about gaming should know about the Freescape engine. It is, just like you said, the first engine that allowed true 3D.

In a very basic manner.

I mean, the engine was coded on an Amstrad CPC, what did people expect? It can't cope with massive changes to the player's X,Y,Z position in real-time, note in the video when the player 'falls' into the pool (around the 5:20 mark), the screen goes black while the engine computes the player's new position.

The monsters floating around? That's not one moving polygonal object, that's several polygonal objects that appear/disappear in a set pattern, like lights on a light fixture.

Ultima Underworld (and Wolf3D) got so much attention because they updated themselves in real-time, something the Freescape engine could only do in a very limited capacity.

(On that note, I'm pretty certain that there's a 3D game on the Amiga/Atari ST that could do "true 3d" in real-time before Ultima Underworld. Possible suspects would be Midwinter/Midwinter 2, The Mercenary series (Mercenary/Damocles/Mercenary 3) and possibly even games like Interphase and Cybercon 3. Of the aforementioned games I only played the Midwinter games, but it's been so long I can't remember precisely whether it was "true 3D" or only 2.5-dimensional.)

But watching that Castle Master video brought back some memories, I played (and completed) that game back when it was new, and I still remember so many things from it:

# It was one of the first games to cater to both genders. You can be the guy saving the girlfriend, or the girl saving the boyfriend. It didn't really matter for the gameplay itself, but it's a nice touch for a 1990 game.

# Having to go 'round back' to find a vital part of the game was a common trope in Freescape games. A lesson that comes in VERY HANDY when playing Thief, for example.

# Underneath the castle is a labyrinth of caves, full of monsters and identical-looking passages. There are several ways to get in there, one of them being underneath that boulder you see right outside the castle. Another entrance is under the rug in the wizard's hut, one through the well IIRC and one either behind the pulpit in the chapel, or underneath the altar. There was only ever one way out, however. Can't remember where that was.

# Some monsters (Igor, for example) were immobile, but the player had to shoot certain parts of them in order to kill them, and all before the player's strength was all sapped away.

# IIRC you could walk through the fireplace in the kitchen to reach a backroom.

# In order to move heavy objects, the character needed to be strong enough. The player's strength is represented by the weights on the barbells, and it's boosted by all that cheese lying around.

# To get on top of the chapel (which was vital) one had to stand on the drawbridge before shooting the button that opens/closes it.

# The horse in the stable had a hole on its underside which contained something vital.

# Besides having to hunt for a fuckload of keys, I faintly recall something about needing to collect 7 "tokens" of some sort in order to beat the game, and that at least one of those tokens was in the caverns beneath the castle.

# What I found to be the most fascinating thing about Castle Master, however, was its sequel. Castle Master 2: The Crypt, tells the story of the player AFTER he dies in Castle Master, and is trying to escape the afterlife and return to the land of the living. It was conceived as something that the player would have to complete to be returned to life and be allowed to try playing Castle Master again. While there's no in-game connection between the two games, the CM2 manual states this very clearly. It would have been interesting to force the player to complete a (mini)game before being allowed to play another game of Castle Master. This also beats Prey's "mini-game after death" by about 16 years.

dibens

as seen on shoutbox
Patron
B8ZU3YQCYAA7zoB.jpg

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria
The sad fact of the matter is that PewDiePie is an extremely popular guy with a fucking huge fanbase, alot of whom are willing to buy the shit that he recommends. There are people out there who are willing to buy books primarily because Oprah Winfrey recommended them, so it's not as though this is a recent phenomena.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Hahah that game blew my mind when i played it on Amiga, which is the best version.

Agreed. I got so nostalgic about Castle Master yesterday that I watched a LP of it on the Amiga.

The Amiga has the best intro version, namely that flying monster near the titles, which then swoops down and abducts your twin (small error on my part, thought it had been the girlfriend/boyfriend) and then flies back to the castle.

The goal of the game is to reach the room named "Captive", which is on the fourth floor of the SE tower, the one closest to where you start. But to get in there you must:

# Defeat the Magister, the Big Bad of the game. To defeat him you must:

# Kill ALL the spirits in the game, as killing them weakens the Magister. The strength of the spirits is represented by the tiltmeter on the status bar.

# But before you can kill the Magister you must first reach him, and the door to his room is locked, and the key is locked away in the vault.

# To open the vault, you need to find 10 pink pentacles, of which half are in the caverns beneath the castle. Some of them are hidden in plain sight, some of them are deviously hidden, like the one in the chapel.

# There are ten keys in total to find, and some of them are hidden in fiendish places. The one in the wizard's hut, for example, is located ON TOP of the chair, which means you must climb on top of the table to see it.

# There are more ways than just cheeses to boost your strength. There's a set of barbells in the gymnasium, and plenty of booze will also boost your strength. Green cheese, however, drains your strength.

# Speaking of drinkables, the room named "Pottery" has a Potion of Rock Travel, which is a godsend. Fire a rock at a valid passage to another room, and you're teleported through to the other side!

But this got me thinking...the ultimate Castle Master homage/tribute would be... a Thief FM. (cue JarlFrank Melan skacky and the other taffers)

That castle is pretty much perfect as a setting for a heist, as it's full of treasure and monsters. I wouldn't keep the kidnapping plot, though. Instead I would make it a race. "Legends speak of the dreaded castle MacGuffin which has been sealed off for as long as everyone remembers. Suddenly, a fortnight ago, the drawbridge mysteriously opened, as if inviting people to enter and dare explore its depths and claim its treasures. Now everyone is scrambling to stake their claim on the castle. I know that the Thieves's Guild has already sent a party in there, but no one has heard from them in days. Likewise, the Hammerites have shown an interest, and have actually managed to set up camp in the courtyard and one of the towers, but only after the Bumblesons, making some bizarre claim that the castle is their ancestral homestead, claimed another tower with a surprising amount of guards. But I'm not interested in the castle, or its history. I'm only interested in the vault. Even before the castle was sealed, there were tales and rumours about the vault in the northwest tower, as well as a display gallery of fabulous gemstones. Eventually they'll stumble across them, but until they do there's a very lucrative opportunity for a master thief for an early retirement."

Last edited:

Perkel

Arcane
The sad fact of the matter is that PewDiePie is an extremely popular guy with a fucking huge fanbase, alot of whom are willing to buy the shit that he recommends. There are people out there who are willing to buy books primarily because Oprah Winfrey recommended them, so it's not as though this is a recent phenomena.

PewdiePie has more subscribers than IGN viewers monthly (2mln+)

Grimlorn

Arcane
Might also be an affect of the whole GG thing with marketers deciding to move away from journalists and more towards Youtubers as well.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom